Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:05 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
And who says everyones goal is simply to lose weight? There are plenty of other goals. If getting/keeping a healthy weight is the objective then yeah, it'll do, but some of us have higher ambitions than the bare minimum, and a good gym provides a chance for the most effective known methods of reaching part of these goals.
First off he stated he WANTED to lose weight. And exercise is not just for weight loss. It is for overall health and well being. Exercise reduces the risk of heart attacks, strokes, diabetes and lots of forms of cancer.
When someone refuses to go to a gym there needs to be other options. And they need to start somewhere.
I go to a gym because I do a lot more than the bare minimum. I do not understand what your beef is. Maybe you should reread the posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 01:50 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
Default Why?

Why do you care how or where someone else works out?

Old 11-22-2011, 02:28 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
im not motivated to work out alone. i need to start but unless someone does it with me id rather become 300 lbs and watch tv eating pork rinds all day. idk maybe its a midlife crisis thing or something but i thought i could find out why people think that workout anywhere but a gym is akin to devil worship or pedophilia.

As for volunteering in this community you have to go through credit checks and extensive background checks before theyll let you do any such thing (which translates to "we think youre a murderer, rapist, or pedophile"
Here's what you do ~ get a demanding dog ~ high energy, high activity (I have Westie) that loves/needs to walk at least a couple of miles a day in any weather.

That will get you outside, moving, with a partner, and no gym needed. You will definitely have a walking buddy to keep you motivated. IF you fail to walk the dog - he will reward you with an evening full of barking, hyperactivity; and scratching at the door.

Enjoy!

I'm only partly joking. I allowed my son to pick our last dog- and he picked a Westie despite all my concerns about their activity requirements. Higher than most larger dogs. Of course, my son PROMISED to walk him, blah blah blah - but guess who is out every day exploring the walking trails with said dog? It's not a gym but it's better than nothing and highly enjoyable on a nice morning/evening.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:00 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Call me old fashioned but i like going outside and jogging down the street, doing sit ups in the front yard, pushups on the front porch, etc....basic exercises. I also find a lot of people saying theyd love to find someone to exercise with them but when i tell them where i exercise they say "oh no ive got to go to a gym". I dont need a gym to stay in shape. Didnt need one when i was a kid. All I needed was a ball and a bicycle.

Why are people brainwashed into thinking a body cant be worked out anywhere but a gym?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
First off he stated he WANTED to lose weight. And exercise is not just for weight loss. It is for overall health and well being. Exercise reduces the risk of heart attacks, strokes, diabetes and lots of forms of cancer.
When someone refuses to go to a gym there needs to be other options. And they need to start somewhere.
I go to a gym because I do a lot more than the bare minimum. I do not understand what your beef is. Maybe you should reread the posts.
The OPs first problem seems to be finding a workout-partner.
My argument is that if people have goals that make a gym the best choice for them, they're not likely to want to go somewhere else, like the street for example
The OP then goes on to criticize the idea of using a gym to work out certain body parts, and I don't think it's a secret that any body part can be worked out outside the gym, but if you want to work them out the way you can do in a gym it's gonna be a lot more fixing around before you can do each equivalent exercise.
for example it's a lot easier to just load on say 10x45lbs plates on a legg-press machine than to rigg up the back and of a small car so that it can be lifted with the legs in a safe way, where the needed thrust can be regulated, and I don't own any other object that weighs enough.

And if I'm gonna be rigging up different things so that I can do each exercise it's gonna make a gym session that takes 1 hour in the gym take 10-14 hours at home. Besides a gym membership for a whole year costs like 1 days salary after taxes, and makes exercising easy and efficient.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:29 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
The OPs first problem seems to be finding a workout-partner.
My argument is that if people have goals that make a gym the best choice for them, they're not likely to want to go somewhere else, like the street for example
The OP then goes on to criticize the idea of using a gym to work out certain body parts, and I don't think it's a secret that any body part can be worked out outside the gym, but if you want to work them out the way you can do in a gym it's gonna be a lot more fixing around before you can do each equivalent exercise.
for example it's a lot easier to just load on say 10x45lbs plates on a legg-press machine than to rigg up the back and of a small car so that it can be lifted with the legs in a safe way, where the needed thrust can be regulated, and I don't own any other object that weighs enough.

And if I'm gonna be rigging up different things so that I can do each exercise it's gonna make a gym session that takes 1 hour in the gym take 10-14 hours at home. Besides a gym membership for a whole year costs like 1 days salary after taxes, and makes exercising easy and efficient.
You do not have to sell the gym to me. I love my gym and its the only place I am going to get the kind of workout I want. I am just pointing out this guy seems to have issues regarding gyms. He can workout anywhere, that was I was trying to say. Pushing a gym on him seems counterproductive.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:27 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,974 times
When I decided to try to lose weight at 237 pounds and around five feet six inches tall I knew I needed to do low impact exercising and to do the cardio part at least I needed to go to a gym. I did not have room in our rented townhouse for cardio equipment,nor did I have the money to afford quality equipment.

Now I am a home owner and have the room but I still cannot afford it, but right at this very moment my husband is setting up my brand new Xbox with kinect and I just got the Your Shape Fitness Evolved (older 2009 edition since it was much less expensive). I am looking forward to moving 75% of my workouts to my living room.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:21 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post
When I decided to try to lose weight at 237 pounds and around five feet six inches tall I knew I needed to do low impact exercising and to do the cardio part at least I needed to go to a gym. I did not have room in our rented townhouse for cardio equipment,nor did I have the money to afford quality equipment.

Now I am a home owner and have the room but I still cannot afford it, but right at this very moment my husband is setting up my brand new Xbox with kinect and I just got the Your Shape Fitness Evolved (older 2009 edition since it was much less expensive). I am looking forward to moving 75% of my workouts to my living room.
Why not walk? It's low impact and free.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:26 AM

249 posts, read 473,642 times
I love the gym, I live in an area that is a very nice but it gets really hot here. You have to pick early morning or in the evening where I live at. The gym I can go to any time of the day even at high noon and not die of heat stroke. I find that I can get a better range of exercise done in the gym vs doing my exercise outside. Running on pavement puts more stress on your joints over time vs the elliptical machine which relieves stress on your joints

Old 11-24-2011, 03:54 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Why do you care how or where someone else works out?
Seem to be a harmless question.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:24 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Klato View Post
Why not walk? It's low impact and free.
One doesn't preclude the other. In many sports you spend part of your workout time outside running, cycling, swimming, and or doing calisthenics and part in the gym lifting weights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness