Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,761,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
What works for you may not work for everyone! Treadmills and ellipticals are great machines to have at home - they can get one started on a program, compliment various gym classes, etc.

But lots of us working parents - don't want to take the time to head to a gym 7 days a week when I can hop on my elliptical at home.

I will go to a gym 3 days a week - but not 6 or 7. Gotta work full-time and make dinner, etc. Sorry - gym all the time does NOT work for all of us.
Ok, for argument's sake, how much progress have you made with that home equipment, mathematically?

If I had a wife and we were sharing chores, that could cut down on my kitchen/laundry/housekeeping time and I can greatly up my time in the gym. I often find that family folks come up with all kinds of excuses not to work out or exercise yet there are dedicated women who put the babies in the baby room in the gym and still work out. Where there's a will, there's way, milady!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:15 PM

7,199 posts, read 9,271,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
But people do not do it regularly, becoz the damn thing is always home and there's always this "Oh I can do it on my own flex schedule coz you know it's not gonna go anywhere, it's always in my house and nobody's going to lock it up", and in the end it simply rots, serves as a clutter for waste items like detergent containers, canisters, dogs get to pee and laundry baskets find a temporary home to sit upon.

I have lost count of the number of friend's houses I have seen treadmills and ellipticals serving as an item inside a corner of the house, I even know a lady who hangs her bras from the ellipitical handle

And even if you do it for 10 days you realize it's not the right one for you and you won't want to go thru the ordeal of changing it or getting a new one and re-assembling it. Waste of investment, I have never known anyone having lost 100 pounds from the treadmill they picked up in target.

Treads and ellipses are starter machines. You need a variety of machines and differences in mood/ambiance to make it a ritual every day. It's hard to explain. Bally's has a membership for 20 to 25 bucks, even that would suffice with a variety of 3 or 4 treadmills and other equipment. Do not waste money on this junk, folks. You are not doing yourself any favour. You may feel better for 10 days for having attempted to change your lifestyle, but it's not going to work out in the long run, unless there's an exceptional weirdo who oils his treadmill every day and became a supermodel, thanks to the finely lubricated machine.
I understand what you're saying. I have a friend who will not work out at home. He bought the equipment and it sat unused. Now he pays for a gym membership and goes 3x per week.

I've also met people who just cannot go into the gym to work out. For whatever reason. They will work out at home, or ride bikes, or run, etc. One of them actually paid for a 4 mo membership at the local community college and only went twice.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I have gone to the gym for periods of a few months. I enjoyed the weights and machines but not the cardio. To me treadmills and exercise bikes just don't make sense. If I want to hike, run, bike it's right outside my door. That said, the gym trainer had me warm up on the treadmill 5 min before using the weights. That made sense.

Where you have a good point is in the question that everybody should ask themselves. Will I use it? If not that treadmill becomes an expensive coat rack.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:16 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,995,359 times
Quote:
I often find that family folks come up with all kinds of excuses not to work out or exercise yet there are dedicated women who put the babies in the baby room in the gym and still work out. Where there's a will, there's way, milady!
Wish I could give you 100 rep points for this Ant. So so true!!!

It is not easy though. Those who are able to place their priorities in proper order CAN do it. I worked from home for the first two years of my daughters life, so when the wife went back to work, I worked and took care of her at home AND found time to workout 2-3 times per day.

How did I do it? 1) I woke up early before everyone else and did cardio. 2) When she took her nap, I was able to do strength/weight training. and 3) when she went to sleep for the night, I'd do my kung fu or yoga workout.

As far as treadmill/elliptical recommendations, I operate from the viewpoint of you get what you pay for. For those who are on the obese to morbidly obese range, they MUST have a higher end unit and NOT one of the cheapos from Sears or WalMart. Ive seen some with weight limitations as low as 200 lbs which is ridiculous. Precor and Life-Fitness are the ONLY companies that anyone should consider. Sole, maybe but only their flagship model. Everyone is just a breakdown waiting to happen.

I'd even recommend a rower or jump rope before a treadmill or elliptical. Both are superior IMO for cardio exercise and a much better bang for your buck. So again, its Precor or Life-Fitness or nothing.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,577,720 times
Quote:
Ok, for argument's sake, how much progress have you made with that home equipment, mathematically?

If I had a wife and we were sharing chores, that could cut down on my kitchen/laundry/housekeeping time and I can greatly up my time in the gym. I often find that family folks come up with all kinds of excuses not to work out or exercise yet there are dedicated women who put the babies in the baby room in the gym and still work out. Where there's a will, there's way, milady!
Where in the WORLD did you get the idea that I don't work out kind sir???

I'm up at 5:45 am 3 days a week so I CAN go to a gym and set aside one evening.

Does the treadmill/elliptical at home help on the days I can't get there?

You bet it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness