Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Honestly I am having emotional problems which I think are making it harder to work out. Plus, when I'm depressed I eat less, which is why my weight gain hasnt been too dramatic... I could barely eat today, everyday is worse than the one before. Ill probably start losing weight here soon And I know that I'm just making myself feel worse by not getting back into my usual routine, but I just cant do it. I'm sO depressed I actually dread the weekends, because not working only gives me time to focus on how depressed I feel. I'm having a rough time these days.
The gym will still be there when you're ready, so maybe you should focus on trying to feel better emotionally right now. Have you talked to a friend or a therapist about what is going on? Sometimes serious accidents like the one you had trigger depressive episodes, but you can feel much better with treatment. And it doesn't have to be medication if that's what you're worried about. A good talk therapist can do wonders, especially with someone like you who traditionally has had it all together but is going through a rough patch. Treat it like you would any other obstacle in your life by tackling it head on. You are too sharp and vibrant to not do what it takes to help yourself feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Well start up on complete meal shakes. If you can't eat real food you still need nutrients. Plus its usually cheaper to go with a mix instead of cooking right or going out. You don't want to whammy out your metabolism by not eating.

So you have too much free time on the weekends. Change it. Get busy with working out hard on the weekends and finding employment opportunities.Or even check out charity work for personal networking. You never know who could be there that could hook you up with an opportunity. Easier said than done, I understand. But don't you dare turn into one of those excuses people. You are stronger than that.

Have you even been certified as a personal trainer? What about looking into that?
Thank you for your post. Point of clarification - I have a job. I am very happy that 5 days of the week I am too busy to feel down. It's the just that weekends give me two whole days in a row with nothing to do... that's what I was getting at

Old 03-10-2012, 12:42 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Thank you for your post. Point of clarification - I have a job. I am very happy that 5 days of the week I am too busy to feel down. It's the just that weekends give me two whole days in a row with nothing to do... that's what I was getting at

Good. Well at least you know staying busy helps. Now get on it!

You can do it!

Old 03-11-2012, 01:57 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
OP - you've been through a real ordeal, so stop kicking yourself!

You've only been off the "workout wagon" for a few months. The fact that you took such great care of yourself before your accident will benefit you now. I think you'll be surprised at how fast your body and your spirit come back.

Honestly, you make me feel ashamed of myself. Back in September I weighed myself (after taking a month off from working out) and got mad when I realized that I had gained some weight - duh. So I threw myself a long, stupid pity party - rarely working out, making bad food choices - that lasted until just a few weeks ago. So now, instead of a few pounds, I've got @#% pounds to lose. Dumb. But you know what? I'm just going to forgive myself and move on.

My advice: Stop being so hard on yourself. Put the effort in NOW and you'll have your body back just in time for bikini season.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Good observation by Springfieldva. It's a good idea to take things gradually, and appreciate each accomplishment of a small, short-term goal, but you may get back into very good condition sooner than you might think. It does seem that if you've exercised for some time and gotten into really good shape, you can bounce back from an injury layoff significantly more quickly than someone who's been a couch potato for years can get into shape in the first place.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:21 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
every now and then, ill notice gym regulars disappear for a while then suddenly reappear and they are fatter. that seems to be what has happened with you onglet. i remember you as someone serious about fitness, im surprised you fell off the wagon. good luck getting beefcake again.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
every now and then, ill notice gym regulars disappear for a while then suddenly reappear and they are fatter. that seems to be what has happened with you onglet. i remember you as someone serious about fitness, im surprised you fell off the wagon. good luck getting beefcake again.
This wasn't a case of falling off the wagon. She had to stop working out because of a serious injury.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
This wasn't a case of falling off the wagon. She had to stop working out because of a serious injury.
And she's still in good shape because she hasn't been off her game for very long. So she should be able to bounce back pretty quickly.

Getting back into a familiar workout routine should help to restore her mentally, too.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:47 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
perfect place for a Mr. Rollins quote

"Through the years, I have combined meditation, action, and the Iron into a single strength. I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind. The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back."
He's a super weird guy, but I like this (I think from the same article):

"The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
yeah? you cant lift a weight because you scraped your face?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness