Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:38 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,370,162 times

Advertisements

90% of people in the gym don't squat correctly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post

Patellas are held in place by quadriceps (frontal of the thigh), hamstrings (rear of the thigh) muscles primarily and the calf muscles to an extent. The quads and hams tend on the patella (knee cap), that's how the body is designed.

The harder you make the Quads, hams, calf and gluteal muscles, the better for the knee, its cap and the general leg. There's no way it can fail.

http://www.treadmillscentral.com/images/958.jpg

http://www.fitnessbodybuilding.net/i...sion-cybex.jpg
Those machines are bad for knees because the movements initiates from the knee joint itself. .. BUT that's if you're using heavy weight. VERY light weight must be used, and in that case.. the movements aren't as efficient as other leg muscle strengthening exercises.

Squats aren't bad because the movement is initiated from the hip joint. Working on the surrounding muscles is definitely correct, but through those isolation movements that are initiated through the knee joint, puts unnecessary pressure on it.

Good stretches for the knee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLh0jF5M_gY

Last edited by td333; 03-18-2012 at 10:04 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
You're just a worrywart, Pops.

Cycling and walking are just useless. Those muscles need to be toughened up.
Bit rude..

Anyways, cycling isn't entirely useless. The cyclic motion is good for the joint, in moderation. Obviously.. hardcore cylists endure knee pain quite often (Due to, as you say.. not strengthening the muscles around the knee joint through strength training...)

Anyways, it would be good to give an idea of what your issue stems from. How old you are, experience exercising, long term or short term.. etc. Need background information otherwise, most people are shootin' in the dark for what can help.

The first thing always, ice/heat. NSIADS (short term use, if it's a short term problem). stretching and foam rolling. sometimes tight muscles pull and regardless of strength of the leg muscles, that will cause knee pain. you'll end up modifying the way you walk based on muscle imbalances/unused "dead" muscles and cause you pain at various points in your body (joints, back etc).

Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I've had type 2 diabetes for 3 yrs, my AIC's have been running at 5.8. You're right, it's a combination of what you're eating, i'm getting better with it, but not where i should be. I just read tonite that you should avoid dairy, because it cause inflammation, i've been eating alot of nonfat, plain greek yogurt. I love it!!!

It was so painful for me......the realization that my favorite food......dairy....was causing me lots of inflammation. I just love full-fat greek yogurt....cheese....butter......cottage cheese....oh my, I love dairy.

I would work out and be sore the next day.....no biggie, kinda sore but nothing too bad. But then I would have lunch, maybe a container of cottage cheese with ground flax seed......YUMMY. After the meal, it was like clockwork.......my shoulders would pop and crackle when I lifted my arms up.....my knees would pop....all of my joints would show increased crepidity.

I rarely eat dairy anymore. I miss it......but I sure feel the difference.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Those machines are bad for knees because the movements initiates from the knee joint itself. .. BUT that's if you're using heavy weight. VERY light weight must be used, and in that case.. the movements aren't as efficient as other leg muscle strengthening exercises.

Squats aren't bad because the movement is initiated from the hip joint. Working on the surrounding muscles is definitely correct, but through those isolation movements that are initiated through the knee joint, puts unnecessary pressure on it.
I was never a fan of leg extensions but they allow me to focus on the knee where I had surgery. My sports medicine doctor pointed out to me that my leg with the torn meniscus was less developed than the other leg while I was doing squats and dead lifts. He said I was favoring the good leg. I'm still only doing 30-35 pounds with my bad leg. I see lots of guys using over a 100 lbs on these machines. They jerk the weight up and don't do a full extension. I think this is where this machine can cause injuries.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I was never a fan of leg extensions but they allow me to focus on the knee where I had surgery. My sports medicine doctor pointed out to me that my leg with the torn meniscus was less developed than the other leg while I was doing squats and dead lifts. He said I was favoring the good leg. I'm still only doing 30-35 pounds with my bad leg. I see lots of guys using over a 100 lbs on these machines. They jerk the weight up and don't do a full extension. I think this is where this machine can cause injuries.
You're 100% correct. I should have specified.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:02 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
It's all a matter of application. 20 to 25 pounds with a full extension and proper repetitions causes absolutely no damage to anything. And jerking the weight up is a very bad practice. The movement has to be smooth.

Every machine can cause injuries when incorrectly applied, short or long term. Doesn't need a doctor to figure that out.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Sorry, but these machines will do more damage to an already damaged knee. In fact, for the damaged knee these machines are no better than the old torture device called "The Rack"!
Exactly NEVER use those machines with bad knees.

Swimming is the best, but definitely talk to your doctor, not here

Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times
Quote:
You're just a worrywart, Pops.

I'm not saying Sue or you for that matter need to pump 100+ pounds up, like many of us do, with all these machines. How about 10 pounds, 20 even. They are low in mass and with increased repetition like 20 to 25 per stretch, you could do some serious knee tightening and trust me, you're only going to be stronger.

Cycling and walking are just useless. Those muscles need to be toughened up.
There is no debate that some preventative toning needs to be done. An elastic band is safer than "the rack" that you suggested.

In addition once you have joint damage you have joint pain no matter how much chest pounding you want to do. Sorry but it sounds like you are a confirmed jock unable to relate to anyone who isn't a jock.

Oh yes, both normal paced walking as well as easy riding of a bicycle are preferred methods to heal an injured knee.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
There is no debate that some preventative toning needs to be done. An elastic band is safer than "the rack" that you suggested.

In addition once you have joint damage you have joint pain no matter how much chest pounding you want to do. Sorry but it sounds like you are a confirmed jock unable to relate to anyone who isn't a jock.

Oh yes, both normal paced walking as well as easy riding of a bicycle are preferred methods to heal an injured knee.

Resistance bands are VERY good for repairing joints and rehabilitation.. as well as powerlifting applications!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness