Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:08 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
There is no debate that some preventative toning needs to be done. An elastic band is safer than "the rack" that you suggested.

In addition once you have joint damage you have joint pain no matter how much chest pounding you want to do. Sorry but it sounds like you are a confirmed jock unable to relate to anyone who isn't a jock.

Oh yes, both normal paced walking as well as easy riding of a bicycle are preferred methods to heal an injured knee.
I'm not a jock. I'm a croc. I thought you knew that, Grandpa.

I am not sure why people are always thinking 100 pounds when it comes to these machines which nicely regulate the arc movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 02:15 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Those machines should be used for conditioning (12-15 reps). Condtioning movements should never be met with a struggle (Break in form). That's when undue stress is put on the knee. The average person cannot do sets (3-5) with reps equalling 12-15 for conditioning. The machine should not be used for strength resistance; heavy, intense exercise for volume (3-5 sets at 3-5 reps, with a 65-95% 1RM [1RM shouldn't even be a consideration for the machines anyways]).

Old 03-19-2012, 02:31 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I'm not a jock. I'm a croc. I thought you knew that, Grandpa.

I am not sure why people are always thinking 100 pounds when it comes to these machines which nicely regulate the arc movement.
Oh yes you are a jock who is a crock.

That damn machine just is no good for injured joints of any kind.

GOT IT YET?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Oh yes you are a jock who is a crock.

That damn machine just is no good for injured joints of any kind.

GOT IT YET?
Grandpa, put that pipe down.

I'm gonna literally carry Sue and seat her on the leg curl. You coming with me or not?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Well, I'd say no one here is qualified to give advice -- since no one here knows the extent of the injury.

Joint problems occur from a multitude of injuries, those which we do not know. Implementing a solution to a problem that no one knows, is not safe.

Go see a physical therapist!

It's hard to believe Sue, that you would blindly trust a group of self-proclaimed internet experts. Even so, trust people that you have no idea of their qualifications. You're just as good doing a google search if you're okay with taking information from a dark alley.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:26 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Well, I'd say no one here is qualified to give advice -- since no one here knows the extent of the injury.

Joint problems occur from a multitude of injuries, those which we do not know. Implementing a solution to a problem that no one knows, is not safe.

It's hard to believe Sue, that you would blindly trust a group of self-proclaimed internet experts. Even so, trust people that you have no idea of their qualifications. You're just as good doing a google search if you're okay with taking information from a dark alley.
This. 1000X this.

When it comes to anything medically involved, especially damaged or worn joints, never take advice out of a message or forum. Either see a physical therapist or an orthopedist.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
This. 1000X this.

When it comes to anything medically involved, especially damaged or worn joints, never take advice out of a message or forum. Either see a physical therapist or an orthopedist.
And pump 1000 bucks into the stethescreep fund.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:39 PM

And risk pemanent damage.

...and I don't know how old Sue is, but probably older..with a stable job/insurance.. and a likeness to avoid injury at an older age when rehabilitation is less likely..

Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Grandpa, put that pipe down.

I'm gonna literally carry Sue and seat her on the leg curl. You coming with me or not?
If you're gonna carry anybody anywhere carry them to a proper physical therapist!

Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post

Best advice in the thread. If your insurance won't cover physical therapy talk to a therapist anyway. Maybe you can afford an evaluation and limited guidance. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness