Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:48 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
What is too fat and why?

You never too fat to dance!
This is more of what I am talking about when it comes to bellydance. These are world famous dancers who have toured the world with their art. They even toured with Lollapalooza. This is what it is supposed to be and what most people want to see, not that huge gal in your vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjR7VfPVEzU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 12:58 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I didn't mean anyone is "too fat to dance" - I was referring to the preferences of the Middle Eastern cultures, the woman in your first video would be way too fat for them. She does dance very well, I wish I were as talented.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:36 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
This is more of what I am talking about when it comes to bellydance. These are world famous dancers who have toured the world with their art. They even toured with Lollapalooza. This is what it is supposed to be and what most people want to see, not that huge gal in your vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjR7VfPVEzU
You can only define what bellydancing should be to you and what it should look for you. I already told what it should look like me, jiggling

How you can dance bellydance if you don't belong into their group then? Or are you and that makes you narrow-minded? Don't dance a step before you are "as good as them"

You are not op nor reincarnation of first belly dancer centuries back but you feel you are the author of defining what belly dance is or what it supposed to be? Starting to defining what dance is, who should do it and what it should look like is in this changing world is pretty narrow-minded attitude. All dances has their roots and roots often leads into several countries. In these several countries they create their own styles and they have their own masters. Decade by decade dances remove further and further on the map with different teachers. Finally they reach to the point to be mixed to modern current cools.

like your bellydancesuperdancers seem to have very different backrounds in dancing, ballet, circus etc. Profiles

Africa, India, Egypt, Turkey, American style is different of others.. Also inside a country there could be several ways to dance. If we are thinking roots of dancing and a person in a original country who has done local shows, is a local teacher and is not influenced by others dances.. then this unknown local could be actually the best dancer.. Even she would only dance in her basement..

But as a hobby.. Thread line is bellydance: Anyone try it? I could ask.. Have you tried it? Enough with different teachers who has been trained in different original countries by different styles to make you see there is no only one type of belly dance. There is no also limited body type, huh!

I just said I prefer fat dancers, yet you are saying "most" people want to see what you define.. How do you know? Are you a mind reader of the world, you just close your yes and hmmmmm- hear all peoples thoughts of bellydancing?

It does no matter who tours and who does not tour. Think about original masters of these dances, they had none tour.

What is beautiful moving is in the eye of the beholder. You cannot force others to like what you do. What you think is best it is not best for someone else.

People want to see different things. Foremost, dancing is body techniques and expressing, it does not matter what is your BMI, it matters how you move. Fat does not prevent people using their bodies, fat does not prevent moves to be right (what ever it means to everyone). A fat person is able to make a perfect show with perfect techniques

I am so sorry but I would pay to see this fat girls dancing but not your skinny group. Nothing to see for me. It is like half of the moves are missing

Don't be a fun ruiner, let people enjoy of dancing, beginners, advancers, professionals,fat, skinny, young and old. Dance makes us free, dance is meant to be a great joy to everyone, not some narrow-minded skinny contest.

Dancing comes from inside, you supposed to not dance for others to see but because of passion to produce motion

Tell this to your "bellydancesuperstars" too as you seem to represent their views , tell they should be less narrow-minded, world is bigger than their stage.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:24 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Any one know of any good bellydance performances to the following classical music?
I'd like to be visually kinesthetically and aurally entertained...
Ippolitov-Ivanov In the Village (from Caucasian sketches)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkYgCIa2atk
Camille Saint-Saens Danse Bacchanale from Samson and Delilah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjn4z03WetQ

If so, please post link

As for the body composition of those dancing, I prefer fit and healthy, not flabby - but that's just me. If they start looking too much like a sumo wrestler, the kinesthetic 'aura' is muted and disappears.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:03 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
I would not want to watch a fat belly dancer! lol.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:24 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Yes, I've tried and LOVED it! Great ab workout. You really feel it in your core. Sadie was my instructor. She's the best bellydancer I've seen.

https://youtu.be/YamDoDK71Ds

Old 05-21-2015, 04:36 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Yes, I've tried and LOVED it! Great ab workout. You really feel it in your core. Sadie was my instructor. She's the best bellydancer I've seen.

https://youtu.be/YamDoDK71Ds
She's good. From Colorado right?

Old 05-22-2015, 10:53 AM

19 posts, read 17,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Does anyone like bellydancing? Or tried it? I personally love it. I've come out of my shell SO much.
I'm taking classes now & seriously considering pursuing it longterm. I think Zumba is in style now, but I love bellydancing.

This girl is my latest inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onxkgam7rCQ

I love it and I am dancing it for years.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:06 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Joined classes for a month and believe me they were much harder to do than I expected... not nearly as easy as i had thought..

Old 05-22-2015, 11:35 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Yes! I took lessons while living in NY, and I found it to be fun, good exercise and interesting. I think it's a beautiful art form.

In fact, seeing this post has reminded me of how much I enjoyed belly dancing. I am going to look for a class in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness