Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
It has caffeine in it. What besides the caffeine could be in it that you think is helpful?
Well it is hard to beat the original ECA stack which was ephedrine, caffeine, and aspirin it gave people energy, burn extra calories and worked as an appetite suppressant and helped people lose weight even when not working out.

It might be banned in the U.S. but it is still sold at health food store and GNC here in Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Well it is hard to beat the original ECA stack which was ephedrine, caffeine, and aspirin it gave people energy, burn extra calories and worked as an appetite suppressant and helped people lose weight even when not working out.

It might be banned in the U.S. but it is still sold at health food store and GNC here in Canada
there are products you can get that contain ephedra then put together your own stack if you like. there was a time when i took an eca before every workout but i decided to give it up myself.

i am of the belief that the key ingredient in all energy drinks is caffeine and they arent much without it. i also believe amino acids are the building blocks of protein, so they are for building muscle not energy. but i havent done a lot of research on them.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
People are better off spending their resources on a good diet and proper routine.
People are better off listening to the advice of those who've actually used a product such as the Amino Energy Drink and can speak from their own experience!

Not advice from those who've never tried it, and who obviously know very little about the science behind it.

In case you are unfamiliar with the word "supplement" ... it means "in addition to".

Supplements do not "replace" a good diet. They "add" to it.

Amino Acid Energy Drinks give your body the added boost of energy to help you maximize your workout to the fullest.

Protein powders provide extra protein when it is difficult to get enough protein from food alone.

Supplements are also used to get the product into your bloodstream as quickly as possible, when the body is in an anabolic state, rather than having to wait hours later for it to be obtained from digested food.

And nothing about supplement usage is meant to lessen, change, or replace a proper workout routine.

Supplements help you to get the most benefit out of your workout ... they are not used in place of it.

Last edited by RD5050; 02-04-2013 at 02:17 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 02:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Supplements - add to and/or replacement, i.e. meal replacement shakes for example that add to your diet to replace calories you should have eaten.

You still did not address the contradiction in the links you provided.

"People are better off listening to the advice of those who've actually used a product such as the Amino Energy Drink and can speak from their own experience!"

No, people are better off listening to advice of those who have experience, not those who tried something and now proclaim it works, like in your example.

I could replace your amino acid drink with anything and state how great it works, that doe snot mean it does.

I stated many, if not most strength trainers drink a coke, cup of coffee, or caffeine pill before a workout; that is why your dirnk has it in there, no other reason but to give the boost. People are free to research and they will find what a stated as almost universal; that is much more evidence of a product working than your singular example.

You sound like a commercial for this drink.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
I use ON Amino Energy pre workout and yes it does help. However it is not completely attributable to the caffeine bump.

These supplements contain Beta Alanine. It's a naturally occurring non essential amino acid. It's the extra dose in the drink that makes the difference. Basically it helps to bring down the pH levels of that builds up in your muscles as you workout. Instead of your muscles feeling the burn after ten reps of a given weight, you'll be able to crank out a couple of more reps before that burn kicks in.

Did you feel a tingling sensation about ten minutes after drinking it? That's the Beta alanine.

Here's more info.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
People are better off listening to the advice of those who've actually used a product such as the Amino Energy Drink and can speak from their own experience!

Not advice from those who've never tried it, and who obviously know very little about the science behind it.

In case you are unfamiliar with the word "supplement" ... it means "in addition to".

Supplements do not "replace" a good diet. They "add" to it.

Amino Acid Energy Drinks give your body the added boost of energy to help you maximize your workout to the fullest.

Protein powders provide extra protein when it is difficult to get enough protein from food alone.

Supplements are also used to get the product into your bloodstream as quickly as possible, when the body is in an anabolic state, rather than having to wait hours later for it to be obtained from digested food.

And nothing about supplement usage is meant to lessen, change, or replace a proper workout routine.

Supplements help you to get the most benefit out of your workout ... they are not used in place of it.
Boxus is giving you sound advice; why do you insist in arguing with other people who know better? I have experimented with amino acids since 1983. If you are taking amino acid tablets such as BCAAs or l-glutamine, you want to take it at least an hour before or immediately after your hard workout session and/or right before you go to bed at night. If you are taking a protein drink (or mixing protein powder such as the Essential Amino Energy), you should take it immediately after your workout. Undigested protein in your stomach is not giving you energy. I have seen guys walking around with protein drinks in the gym and it does not make sense.

Everything that boxus told you about caffeine and energy is correct. I think we're done with this conversation.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Boxus is giving you sound advice; why do you insist in arguing with other people who know better? I have experimented with amino acids since 1983. If you are taking amino acid tablets such as BCAAs or l-glutamine, you want to take it at least an hour before or immediately after your hard workout session and/or right before you go to bed at night. If you are taking a protein drink (or mixing protein powder such as the Essential Amino Energy), you should take it immediately after your workout. Undigested protein in your stomach is not giving you energy. I have seen guys walking around with protein drinks in the gym and it does not make sense.

Everything that boxus told you about caffeine and energy is correct. I think we're done with this conversation.
Boxus is giving advice based on no knowledge of Amino Acids whatsoever. He obviously has not used Amino Acids, so his information about Amino Acids is irrelevant.

And I'm pretty certain that everyone here realizes that caffeine provides energy, so educating people about caffeine is completely pointless.

I take the ON Amino Energy drink, and sip it during the entire workout, and I've already stated that it provides an energy boost during my workout. This boost allows me to do more reps and lift heavier than I previously lifted. I find myself using even more machines per workout than usual.

Try reading some of the reviews here:

Essential AmiN.O. Energy Reviews: 8.1/10 (Optimum) - SupplementReviews.com
Quote:
At first I tried this as a prework out. I liked it but I think this stuff really shines
as either a intra, or a all day sipping drink.
I liked the CLEAN energy it gave me, I dont like feeling jittery while hitting the weights.
When I took this stuff all day in my jug, I noticed that the viens seemed to be more visible
all day, and I was so Primed to hit the weights after being at work all day instead of wore
down.
The fact that you experimented with Amino Acids since 1983 means you have an opinion on them.

So do all the 56 reviewers on the above website, and the previous review website I mentioned. And most (not all) seem to agree that this drink does provide useful energy for workouts. The above website rates this drink 8/10.

The 59 reviewers on this website rated it 4.5 / 5: Optimum Nutrition AMIN.O. Energy - Fruit Fusion - OPTIMUM NUTRITION - GNC

The reviewers on this website rated 4.5 / 5: Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy Reviews at Muscle & Strength

So apparently the vast majority of people who use ON's Amino Energy Drink agree with my opinion. The drink works!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Different Amino Acids serve different purposes, so some may be better post workout, and some pre or during workout.

But the fact is, Amino Acids help improve exercise, and provide energy during your workouts

Here are even more links on this subject:

Do Amino Acids Help You Exercise?

Quote:
The BCAA’s are interesting (at least to people in white lab coats) because they are metabolized in the muscle, rather than in the liver. This means that BCAA’s can be relied on as an actual energy source during exercise, and could therefore prevent premature muscle breakdown. There was actually one compelling study done by a guy named Ohtani that showed exercising individuals who got BCAA’s had better exercise efficiency and exercise capacity compared to a group that didn’t get BCAA’s.
Supplement Guide: Branched-Chain Amino Acids - Men's Fitness

Quote:
Improving exercise performance
Exercise causes an increase in serotonin levels, which are believed to cause fatigue. But BCAAs are believed to reduce serotonin levels, and thus cancel out the fatigue and actually enhance exercise performance. There have been many studies that promote this exact ability: In 1998, subjects ingested either BCAA or a placebo before taking an endurance cycle ride in the heat. The BCAA group cycled 153.1 minutes on average, while the placebo group averaged only 137 minutes.
Below is one of the best and most comprehensive sites I've found on Amino Acids.

This one is truly worth a look:

Protein Amino Acids Information

Another good article here:

BRANCHED-CHAIN AMINO ACID (BCAAs) | Bodybuilding Contest Prep Nutrition and Training at The Fit Factory
Quote:
2. Boost Endurance Because BCAAs offer a fuel source to muscles, they automatically increase the amount of energy your body has available during workouts (assuming, of course, that you’ve supplemented with sufficient amounts to replace what your body burns while training). However, one of the branched-chain aminos, valine, actually increases energy in a particularly interesting manner: In short, it alters the way tryptophan, one of the eight essential aminos, behaves. Thanks to valine, tryptophan does not as readily signal the brain that the body is tired, which means that the person can have longer, harder workouts.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
I use ON Amino Energy pre workout and yes it does help. However it is not completely attributable to the caffeine bump.

These supplements contain Beta Alanine. It's a naturally occurring non essential amino acid. It's the extra dose in the drink that makes the difference. Basically it helps to bring down the pH levels of that builds up in your muscles as you workout. Instead of your muscles feeling the burn after ten reps of a given weight, you'll be able to crank out a couple of more reps before that burn kicks in.

Did you feel a tingling sensation about ten minutes after drinking it? That's the Beta alanine.

Here's more info.
I recently tried a few supps. to get past plateauing.

I used 500mg of Beta Alanine on two occasions (along with 2000mg of Citrulline Malate) No other Pre-workout drink. Empty stomach. I weigh 175lbs. First occasion had a wonderful workout + post-WO cardio.(1.5hrs total time) Felt the tingle and enhanced endurance. Had a bit of nervous energy extending about 2 hours after the workout. Second occasion repeated the above.(except I had 8oz of coffee with milk about 30minutes prior to the BA/CM) Another impressive workout + post-WO cardio. But had much more nervous energy post-workout. It was very uncomfortable. Next morning I felt fine after a good sleep. I had 8oz of coffee with milk. Within a few minutes...BAM! Massive nervous energy. It was incredibly uncomfortable. Appears caffeine simulates the nerve receptors. I could not work. Ate two 1/2 cup servings of rolled oats(carbs will deaden the tingle) + 1 liter of water + two 8oz glasses of milk. That settled me down. About 3 hours total to return to normal.

The second occasion was yesterday. I loved the energy during the workout out but the physical energy while sitting behind a desk is hellish.

Note this was only 500mg of Beta Alanine. That is a very small serving compared to what is recommended on the Yo Bro! boards.

NB: Noticed Taurine listed in the OP's ingredient list. I understand Taurine provides one with intense focus. It was mixed in with the Creatine mix I use and the effect was noticeable. When I queried on the board (not here) I was advised it was the Taurine after listing the ingredients.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-07-2013 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 10:20 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Quote:
Supplements - add to and/or replacement, i.e. meal replacement shakes for example that add to your diet to replace calories you should have eaten.

"People are better off listening to the advice of those who've actually used a product such as the Amino Energy Drink and can speak from their own experience!"

No, people are better off listening to advice of those who have experience, not those who tried something and now proclaim it works, like in your example.

I could replace your amino acid drink with anything and state how great it works, that doe snot mean it does.

I stated many, if not most strength trainers drink a coke, cup of coffee, or caffeine pill before a workout; that is why your dirnk has it in there, no other reason but to give the boost. People are free to research and they will find what a stated as almost universal; that is much more evidence of a product working than your singular example.

You sound like a commercial for this drink.
I have used pre-work out stimulants such as Jack3d and others and I acn assure you, that is more than caffeine. If that were the case, I would have never tried them and stuck with Monster or Redbull before a workout. A caffeinated drink does not give you the ability to lift longer and heavier like some of the work out supplements do. Depending on what you are using and what ingredients, you have items that make you more vascular, to increase blood flow. Caffeine doesn't help you recover from a set either. It's simply an ingredient that helps with energy, however, it is not the primary or only boost. If so, those of us who lift would stick with "coke" or coffee as you so suggest rather than dropping money on these expensive supplements. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness