Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:13 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,384,445 times

Advertisements

eat clean and train dirty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 05:30 PM

39,321 posts, read 27,699,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
eat clean and train dirty
I do that, all the time.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

1. I was a college water polo player who used to train on average 5-6 hours a day with combination of swimming, Aerobic exercise, light weight training, Training Drills, Water Polo Juggle (aka underwater combat)
I have dreamed of being an Olympic competitive swimmer.

Any advice from ex professional athletes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Training for 5 to 6 hours a day? Of course you are going to get tired. Are you in training for something specific or is this your normal routine? I would suggest you cut back on the time you are devoting to working out.
As we age we are normally going to start slowing down. At 28 you are at peak age for performance.
I was actually in the college waterpolo team, so I was considered as semi pro athlete. I had to train at least 5-6 hours a day but it was not 100% swimming.

I am not sure at 28 I am at peak age for performance of my type of sports. Back in college, I played very dirty underwater. (water polo juggle aka underwater combat) I was very good at it. The following is just part of my routine

Goblet Squats x 5
Split Squats x 5/side
Halos x 5/direction
Cossacks or side to side squats x 5/side
Bent Over Row x 5
40 total reps for 1 set.

Now, I can only swim 2.5 hours straight and follow by 1 hour weight training / cardio training.

I am not sure if my metabolism slows down, but I am determined to train hard ! I simply am not going to accept this reality, I don't want to be sluggish or lazy. I am going to get my energy back in the next two months!!! I will start jogging in the morning!!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I would assume it starts to slow down (or not run in optimal speed) at any age if one is not eating healthy and being active. But yeah, it does naturally slow down as we get older. Depends on the individual.
I am only 28 though, I simply cannot accept this (slowing down) Therefore, I am going to train even harder.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 PM

8,072 posts, read 10,665,644 times
Mine screached to a halt in my mid-40's, along with the "change".

Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,242,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
The good news is that after menopause women also tend to need less sleep. Now we have more time for those additional workouts. Yay (said sarcastically).
Meh... Depends upon what you eat. Vegetarian women gain very little weight after or during menopause.

I see so many really fat women eating deep fried chicken and fast food.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,185,266 times
I think it really varies. I'm 59 and I didn't really notice it until my mid-50s, i.e., recently. I'm 5'8 and without watching my diet at all, weighed 118 most of my adult life, then I hit 128 from about age 45-55, and now I have to watch what I eat and up my exercise to stay at 138. I went through menopause at 47 and it didn't affect my weight at all.

I got called a lot of names when I was younger because I was so thin (which I always thought was odd, since I was taught not to make fun of fat people, but thin people seem to be fair game), but my mother wisely told me not to worry about it because some day my metabolism would slow down and when I gained 20 pounds, I'd still be in good shape.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I think it really varies. I'm 59 and I didn't really notice it until my mid-50s, i.e., recently. I'm 5'8 and without watching my diet at all, weighed 118 most of my adult life, then I hit 128 from about age 45-55, and now I have to watch what I eat and up my exercise to stay at 138. I went through menopause at 47 and it didn't affect my weight at all.

I got called a lot of names when I was younger because I was so thin (which I always thought was odd, since I was taught not to make fun of fat people, but thin people seem to be fair game), but my mother wisely told me not to worry about it because some day my metabolism would slow down and when I gained 20 pounds, I'd still be in good shape.
That is amazing. I am 5'7" and 118lb 18% body fat 32C 23 35 Nobody has called me skinny though LOL

Old 07-11-2013, 07:21 PM

102,256 posts, read 108,215,878 times
This is such an individual question. Some women's metabolism starts slowing down in their 40's already, well before menopause. Others keep going strong until menopause, which can happen as late as 60. Some experience little difference between before and after menopause. Others get a major hormone imbalance that causes them to balloon around the middle even if they lose weight! There's no predicting how it will go.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,182,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is such an individual question. Some women's metabolism starts slowing down in their 40's already, well before menopause. Others keep going strong until menopause, which can happen as late as 60. Some experience little difference between before and after menopause. Others get a major hormone imbalance that causes them to balloon around the middle even if they lose weight! There's no predicting how it will go.
I went through menopause early (late 30s-early 40s) and absolutely my metabolism slowed down, quite dramatically.

However, I adjusted my eating habits because I don't like being overweight at all and am 55 now but still weigh what I weighed at age 15.

Of course my shape is different, even so. Parts are drooping and getting wrinkly LOL and even though I weigh the same I assure you there's no way I will attempt to rock the eensy beensy string bikini at my age.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness