Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I went through menopause early (late 30s-early 40s) and absolutely my metabolism slowed down, quite dramatically.

However, I adjusted my eating habits because I don't like being overweight at all and am 55 now but still weigh what I weighed at age 15.

Of course my shape is different, even so. Parts are drooping and getting wrinkly LOL and even though I weigh the same I assure you there's no way I will attempt to rock the eensy beensy string bikini at my age.

I know someone who morphed instantly from a pear shape to an apple shape. She said it started within hours of a sudden crash in mood and onset of insomnia problems, so she knew it was menopause. And she was losing weight at the time, but turned into a beach ball within a couple of weeks! Freaky! Kind of scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,146 times
I think everyone is different. I was a college athlete (softball Univ AZ) and continued to train once I got out of college, during grad school, etc.
I still play ice hockey on a women's team and do all the required training, so both speed/wind training and strength training. I don't so much get tired but I do notice that my recovery is longer. Metabolism has not changed, I eat like a man lol. And I'm old! Mid forties.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:46 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
I think everyone is different. I was a college athlete (softball Univ AZ) and continued to train once I got out of college, during grad school, etc.
I still play ice hockey on a women's team and do all the required training, so both speed/wind training and strength training. I don't so much get tired but I do notice that my recovery is longer. Metabolism has not changed, I eat like a man lol. And I'm old! Mid forties.
I eat 2000 calories a day vegetables / fish / egg white / tofu / brown rice

Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I know someone who morphed instantly from a pear shape to an apple shape. She said it started within hours of a sudden crash in mood and onset of insomnia problems, so she knew it was menopause. And she was losing weight at the time, but turned into a beach ball within a couple of weeks! Freaky! Kind of scary.
That's scary,for me anyway.
You can actually change from a pear to an apple?
I thought bone structure was responsible for the pear shape(hip bones)?
My mother was telling me it haappned to her,and now her waist is almost gone.

Op,there is always surgery.
The good news is that once you get a tummy tuck,the fat doesn't come back on that spot.
The bad news? If you get fat again,it might go on your thighs,arms,or even your back.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:18 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Meh... Depends upon what you eat. Vegetarian women gain very little weight after or during menopause.

I see so many really fat women eating deep fried chicken and fast food.
I actually weigh less than I did before menopause. At 5' 8" I'd always stayed in the 125-126 range, but now I stay in the 122-123 range. I'm not a vegetarian and yet I've had no issue with maintaining my weight after menopause simply by getting a bit more exercise and watching my diet as I always have.

And for the record, one of the least healthy and most obese people I know is a vegetarian. She just doesn't make healthy choices in food and rarely is active. Being a vegetarian does not insure health or appropriate weight before or after menopause.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
I doubt seriously there's a one-size fits all answer to your question. Hormonal and body changes begin at birth and end at death. If you think your metabolism is "slowing" down - see you doctor for a complete physical. Outside of some medical issue - the solution to most medical questions is "eat clean and exercise".
I agree with this. But some of us will gain weight that can't be handled by a one-size fits all solution.

If the OP has been active, then she should try to remain as active as she can.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I actually weigh less than I did before menopause. At 5' 8" I'd always stayed in the 125-126 range, but now I stay in the 122-123 range. I'm not a vegetarian and yet I've had no issue with maintaining my weight after menopause simply by getting a bit more exercise and watching my diet as I always have.

And for the record, one of the least healthy and most obese people I know is a vegetarian. She just doesn't make healthy choices in food and rarely is active. Being a vegetarian does not insure health or appropriate weight before or after menopause.
makes sense. She can have TONS of carbs, but almost no protein! Yuck!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I eat 2000 calories a day vegetables / fish / egg white / tofu / brown rice
What is your weight? I notice that I am more sensitive to not getting enough calories when the output is high. That absolutely zaps my energy. Eating too much seafood is not good for energy levels.

I am in the range of 115-120 and there is no way I could get by on only 2000 calories with that much exercise. Everyone is a little different but maybe try increasing your calories by 200 while watching your body fat and weight to see if it helps?

Mercury Toxicity In-depth Report

"Accumulation in the brain leads to mental and nervous system effects such as brain fog, depression, vision difficulties, and others as listed above. Mental effects are among the most common due to mercury's special affinity for the brain. Mercury inhibits the effects of certain neurotransmitters:
  • Dopamine: controls pain, well-being
  • Serotonin: relaxation, sleep, well-being
  • Adrenaline: energy and stamina
  • Noradrenaline, melatonin: sleep cycles"

The mercury can zap your energy levels. Are you getting enough healthy fats? That is another energy zapper for some. (too low fat)

6 Risks of Eating a Low-Fat Diet | SparkPeople

Since it affects your vitamin absorption that can make one feel flat on energy if you are not absorbing all you need.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:43 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
What is your weight? I notice that I am more sensitive to not getting enough calories when the output is high. That absolutely zaps my energy. Eating too much seafood is not good for energy levels.

I am in the range of 115-120 and there is no way I could get by on only 2000 calories with that much exercise. Everyone is a little different but maybe try increasing your calories by 200 while watching your body fat and weight to see if it helps?

Mercury Toxicity In-depth Report

"Accumulation in the brain leads to mental and nervous system effects such as brain fog, depression, vision difficulties, and others as listed above. Mental effects are among the most common due to mercury's special affinity for the brain. Mercury inhibits the effects of certain neurotransmitters:
  • Dopamine: controls pain, well-being
  • Serotonin: relaxation, sleep, well-being
  • Adrenaline: energy and stamina
  • Noradrenaline, melatonin: sleep cycles"

The mercury can zap your energy levels. Are you getting enough healthy fats? That is another energy zapper for some. (too low fat)

6 Risks of Eating a Low-Fat Diet | SparkPeople

Since it affects your vitamin absorption that can make one feel flat on energy if you are not absorbing all you need.

5'7" 118lb 18% body fat

Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
Old? Mid-40's. lol. Good for you to continue your training

I agree with you that recovery takes longer as we age, and rack up injuries. I'm 52, s/p 2 back surgeries, with fibromyalgia, but still able to run circles around most of my peers with my fitness routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness