Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:56 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times

Advertisements

I think the key to enjoying workouts is finding a gym or just a group of people where you fit in and enjoy the workouts. It can be fun to challenge your body to get stronger. So many different things to do; TRX, spin, boxing, dancing, kickboxing, weights, cardio . . . and if you mix them all up - you don't get that bored.

The people I workout with make me laugh; help me work hard; and inspire me every day.

Never, ever did I think I would feel this way. It's just who I've surrounded myself with that makes all the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
CaptainNJ wrote: [oh yeah, that increase of 1 minute a day is really killer. especially when you start out running a whole 1 minute!!! that's American ninja warrior material right there!

its absolutely amazing what people will believe just to give them an excuse to do less and keep being fatty pants.

Oh Captain my Caption, I think you are missing the point. By increasing by just one minute each time, it'll be hardly noticable. In just 30 days they'll be running the full 30 mins.....if they stick to the plan! If they started out attempting to run the entire 30 minutes initially it would be too much of a change coming from couch potato status to running 30 minutes. They are likely to just give up, convinced they can never do it. Moving toward the goal, one step at a time, one foot in front of the other is a more sensible way to get there.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
CaptainNJ wrote: [oh yeah, that increase of 1 minute a day is really killer. especially when you start out running a whole 1 minute!!! that's American ninja warrior material right there!

its absolutely amazing what people will believe just to give them an excuse to do less and keep being fatty pants.

Oh Captain my Caption, I think you are missing the point. By increasing by just one minute each time, it'll be hardly noticable. In just 30 days they'll be running the full 30 mins.....if they stick to the plan! If they started out attempting to run the entire 30 minutes initially it would be too much of a change coming from couch potato status to running 30 minutes. They are likely to just give up, convinced they can never do it. Moving toward the goal, one step at a time, one foot in front of the other is a more sensible way to get there.
the point is that they don't stick to it, they find excuses for why they should give it up. I bet the OP didn't make it to 5 minutes before he/she found out that she was increasing the duration toooooo quickly so it was time to stop running altogether.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
@Captain...I know what you mean. Most of the new years resolution crowd are already gone from the Golds Gym where I workout. Only a few have stayed with the program. If I had a dollar credit toward gym membership for every five workout wonders I've seen over the years, I'd never have to pay another dime in membership fees.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:21 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
I didn't check to see if this has been posted before in this thread, but....

It has to be a combination of three things: Diet, Weight Training, and Cardio/Fat burning to notice results from working out.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
If I had a dollar credit toward gym membership for every five workout wonders I've seen over the years, I'd never have to pay another dime in membership fees.
I always used to laugh a those people too. But more recently it's been me. Not because I lose interest in exercising, but because I was spoiled for several years between 2000-2008 where I had access to a private corporate gym which was very clean and totally fantastic. Now public gyms just seem dirty, crowded, and lame to me (no offense to the folks that use them, more power to you if you're not spoiled like me yet).

A few years back, I started taking some classes at my local gym and liked it enough to go ahead and sign up for a two year membership (cheaper that way, and the commitment helps motivate). Within a month, the canceled the classes I wanted and so I was left with two options spinning and lifting. So I all but quit going entirely. Pumping iron got old to me back in the mid-90's. I prefer more dynamic, higher rep workouts these days. Spinning is good but it seemed dumb to drive all the way to a gym just to sit on a stationary bike.

I have now invested about $2k (about 5 years of gym fees) in a home gym which includes a spinner, dumbbell set, inclining bench, and several other little goodies that I can do a lot with. I like it a lot and it gives me the convenience, flexibility, simplicity and privacy that I can't get out of public gyms. I'm about 2 years into it now, with no signs of slowing. It will be paid off in about 3 years, but by then I may not be able to resist that extra gym-room remodel I've been daydreaming of, which would take WAY more than 5 years to pay off in the form of gym fees. We'll see.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
my gym membership fees are reimbursed by my health insurance company. I get $200 every 6 months from them. that covers mine, may not cover more expensive gyms.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:08 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my gym membership fees are reimbursed by my health insurance company. I get $200 every 6 months from them. that covers mine, may not cover more expensive gyms.
That's great that some insurance companies are covering that. Such ones are realizing how much cheaper prevention is than treatment. My company has a benefit where they will cover about that per year for any kind of health/fitness plan I want. It is a reimbursement of our of pocket expenses, all we do is submit receipts(s). It could even include things like ski lift tickets, skate parks or massages. Very cool. I'm still planning out how to use mine, but I'm pretty sure it will be in the form of group classes at my a personal trainer's studio nearby. Something to supplement and change up my other workouts just once a week. I thought about using it all on personal training sessions, but $400 doesn't go very far that way and the group classes are fine... they're basically cross-fit classes without the branding cost.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:35 PM

541 posts, read 861,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I have now invested about $2k (about 5 years of gym fees) in a home gym which includes a spinner, dumbbell set, inclining bench, and several other little goodies that I can do a lot with. I like it a lot and it gives me the convenience, flexibility, simplicity and privacy that I can't get out of public gyms. I'm about 2 years into it now, with no signs of slowing. It will be paid off in about 3 years, but by then I may not be able to resist that extra gym-room remodel I've been daydreaming of, which would take WAY more than 5 years to pay off in the form of gym fees. We'll see.
That's a good idea. No excuses like it's too cold to drive to the gym, or you don't have enough time because of going back and forth. I gave up the gym membership as well and invested in free weights/weight bench and an elliptical. I can roll right out of bed and walk over to my equipment in the next room.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:38 PM

723 posts, read 868,767 times
Eating right is so much easier than exercising. **** exercising. You could run for an hour or whatever and only burn 100 calories or you could just not eat half a chocolate bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness