Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 01:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,239,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not the same as saying that 40% of women who've never married are also single mothers. 37,388,400 women over the age of 15 have never married.

There are 9.9 million single mothers in the U.S.

[URL]https://singlemotherguide.com/single-mother-statistics/#footnote_2_13[/URL]

If what you say is true, and 40% of single mothers have never been married, then we're talking about 3.96 million women out of 37.3 million who have never married. In other words, only 10% of that cohort get to use the "I'm too busy raising kids on my own to exercise" excuse.
The survey was of 13,000 people age 18-64, on the amount of exercise they got during that 2 week window. With those limitations, it's impossible extrapolate the numbers on a nationwide scale, let alone on their overall habits, particularly since didn't adjust for age or parental status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 01:40 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,594,747 times
Quote:
But only 10% of the women who have never married are single moms. What about the other 90%?
You'll need to track down the 90% ask them why? .....

Old 11-10-2015, 01:49 PM

32,117 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
The survey was of 13,000 people age 18-64, on the amount of exercise they got during that 2 week window. With those limitations, it's impossible extrapolate the numbers on a nationwide scale, let alone on their overall habits, particularly since didn't adjust for age or parental status.
We need to throw out every study then. There is no study that comes remotely close to gathering data for all 320 million residents of the United States of America. Besides, there have been several studies, including studies conducted by the CDC and NIH, that have reached the same conclusion. Researchers in Britain have also found that women are less active across all age levels.

As far as your implication that never married women are all chasing kids around and are thus too busy to exercise, it's clear the data strongly disagrees with that notion.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,239,439 times
Quote:
We need to throw out every study then. There is no study that comes remotely close to gathering data for all 320 million residents of the United States of America. Besides, there have been several studies, including studies conducted by the CDC and NIH, that have reached the same conclusion. Researchers in Britain have also found that women are less active across all age levels.

As far as your implication that never married women are all chasing kids around and are thus too busy to exercise, it's clear the data strongly disagrees with that notion.
That is not what I said at all. I did say that the "single never married" category would include single mothers (we don't know how many, since the original study is behind a paywall), which somewhat skews the numbers because a single woman with no children is invariably going to have more free time for exercise than a single mother. Two completely different lifestyles that don't belong in the same category.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:50 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,904,021 times
What's the one thing men can do to look more attractive? Muscles.

What's the one (million) things a woman can do to look more attractive? Hair (dye, cuts), make-up, a million different types of clothing, high heels, etc.

Plus a lot of women have little body fat when young so they don't work out (I didn't).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-10-2015, 02:55 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,594,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
That is not what I said at all. I did say that the "single never married" category would include single mothers (we don't know how many, since the original study is behind a paywall), which somewhat skews the numbers because a single woman with no children is invariably going to have more free time for exercise than a single mother. Two completely different lifestyles that don't belong in the same category.

Agree! Many single moms tend to fall into playing the father roll as well, in some cases this happen in a marriages as well! I have a few married friends who carry the whole-load, they make sure kids are dresses and fed taken to day care or school, plus these women work-outside the home 9-5 and it's usually up to the mother to make sure the kids are cared for after school and during the summer months, other words it the mother job to find the extra help needed or the place where kids will be going, her responsibility get the kids there and back, and make the payment arrangements ! Most women still shoulder the load once off work, like launder, dinner on the table , helping kids with their homework and cleaning the house plus getting kids bathed and ready for bed.. Yeah I'd be spent to! ... I also worked day care before I had my own kids, maybe once out the whole year would a father ever drop off or pick up kids or even be involved in paying, programs , foods etc, etc...Always the moms...

Like I said, I've been blessed with a man who made it where I could be a stay at home mom/wife plus give me a break to take care of my own needs, like working out, not all women have that single or married!

Old 11-10-2015, 04:53 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,476,745 times
I like fat women and skinny women and women are of races, I have a gf so I don't care as much. Just be happy with who you are.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:35 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What's the one thing men can do to look more attractive? Muscles.

What's the one (million) things a woman can do to look more attractive? Hair (dye, cuts), make-up, a million different types of clothing, high heels, etc.

Plus a lot of women have little body fat when young so they don't work out (I didn't).
Actually, it's surprising how many men, especially young men, pay no attention to haircuts and their effect on their looks. I've seen guys go from "hot" to "not" to worse over a few months by getting a different haircut each time, as if it didn't matter. It does. Figure out what works best for you, guys, and stick with it. Don't mess with success.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:48 AM

714 posts, read 748,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I just read in a newspaper article about eating disorders that the average woman is 5'4" and 140 pounds. Hearing so much about the obesity crisis, I expected it to be about 5'4" and at least 170 pounds!

Help me understand this. I realize this is several pounds heavier than women used to be. It's debatable about whether 140 pounds really has health implications for a 5'4" woman. What I can't understand is where is the crisis? The average means that there are sufficient women way under this to counter balance those way over. So---is there really a crisis?

At a recent visit to Costco, I saw so many obese people that I was buying into the obesity crisis. But after reading the article and returning from the gym which has a predominance of extremely thin (and some muscular) people, I'm confused as to what is really the case.

The crisis stems from all the people that are 5'4" and like 200+ lbs. The crisis isn't based so much on the average person out of hundreds of millions, but the growing number of people on the heavier/less healthy end of the spectrum.

There are plenty of health conscious people to keep that average reasonable. There are guys nowadays out doing crossfit that 40 yrs ago would be kicked back in a recliner with a cold brew resting on their beer belly on a weeknight.

There are more and more outliers at the heavier end-and that is definitely cause for concern and worthy of being called a "crisis."

Old 11-11-2015, 10:01 AM

32,117 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Agree! Many single moms tend to fall into playing the father roll as well, in some cases this happen in a marriages as well! I have a few married friends who carry the whole-load, they make sure kids are dresses and fed taken to day care or school, plus these women work-outside the home 9-5 and it's usually up to the mother to make sure the kids are cared for after school and during the summer months, other words it the mother job to find the extra help needed or the place where kids will be going, her responsibility get the kids there and back, and make the payment arrangements ! Most women still shoulder the load once off work, like launder, dinner on the table , helping kids with their homework and cleaning the house plus getting kids bathed and ready for bed.. Yeah I'd be spent to! ... I also worked day care before I had my own kids, maybe once out the whole year would a father ever drop off or pick up kids or even be involved in paying, programs , foods etc, etc...Always the moms...

Like I said, I've been blessed with a man who made it where I could be a stay at home mom/wife plus give me a break to take care of my own needs, like working out, not all women have that single or married!
Males exercise more than females across all age groups. There isn't parity between the genders up until the age of 18. Boys are simply more physically active than girls. This trend begins early on and continues through older age.

https://books.google.com/books?id=El...20ages&f=false
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness