Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:29 PM

791 posts, read 2,958,705 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if anyone is familiar with this type of workout?
I recently met with a personal trainer who does not use the traditional combo of cardio/weights. Instead he has you do boot camp type exercises using your own body weight. One example is a very deep squat followed by a jump and you would do this for one minute followed by another exercise for a total of 30 minutes.
I could barely do a few minutes it was so difficult so I could see how you could get results.
Has anyone done this type of workout?
If so have you seen results?
and have you seen any books on this type of routine? I have looked online and in book stores and have not found anything.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 07:02 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,157 times
No ... But its been around for a long time... it is all about resistance.

Just like Yoga... it works...try just stand on ONE foot for 5 minutes without moving. Then bend your knees like you're sitting on air with your back straight. Try pushing your body above the floor with 2 hands... then 1 hand.

I think "Total gym" (ads on TV) use the same idea.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times
It sounds like something from Matt Furey's "Combat Conditioning".

As far as doing those sorts of exercises, I went to Marine Corps bootcamp and the calesthenics (sp?) do get you into better shape and they will build some lean muscle, but you won't get very muscular if you only work with your body weight. I'm not sure what kind of results you're looking for though.

Try doing dips. Those are a really good bodyweight exercise.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:22 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Sandeep's Fitness Page - A Simple Home Workout (Without Weights)

Old 12-05-2007, 01:52 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
First check with your physician before undertaking any of this - If you have had any, I mean any knee issues or joint issues you could really be doing yourself some serious injury. I speak from personal experience. Make certain your trainer is certified, went to college, is referred by a physician - my experience put be in rehab for over 6 months.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
First check with your physician before undertaking any of this - If you have had any, I mean any knee issues or joint issues you could really be doing yourself some serious injury. I speak from personal experience. Make certain your trainer is certified, went to college, is referred by a physician - my experience put be in rehab for over 6 months.

Oh my gosh! I can see how that would happen because after doing a couple of these workouts my knee was killing me (which I already have problems with)
because of the deep squats.So I may re-think exactly how I approach this type of workout.I myself have no desire to damage my knee anymore.
Thanks!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:05 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Many years ago I spent 6 weeks in India. Having a strong desire to stay in shape while I was there, I did exercises like push-ups, dips, pull-ups, etc. For some reason, the shower had a big bucket, so I'd fill it up with H20 and do curls with a bucket full of water. Where there's a will...there's a way. I stayed in really good shape with this make shift workout style. When I got back to my gym in the states, I was able to use only slightly less weight than I used in my previous workouts 6 weeks earlier.

blessings...Franco

Old 12-07-2007, 05:37 AM

453 posts, read 2,100,990 times
i've seen some classes like that, and it should be a very effective form of cardio, and it's probably less boring than being on the treadmill.
i wouldn't say it's an effective replacement for weightlifting, though.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:43 AM

987 posts, read 3,818,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Oh my gosh! I can see how that would happen because after doing a couple of these workouts my knee was killing me (which I already have problems with)
because of the deep squats.So I may re-think exactly how I approach this type of workout.I myself have no desire to damage my knee anymore.
Thanks!
You don't need to do deep knee anything. You can do lunges for instance, but do them so your knee doesn't go beyound 90 degrees.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
You don't need to do deep knee anything. You can do lunges for instance, but do them so your knee doesn't go beyound 90 degrees.

That's what I always thought and when I was showed these exercises I was told that there is no reason you should not do a deep squat because then you are locking the joint to stop the motion.But I think I will remain doing a traditional leg exercises, I would hate to go on one guys opinion and totally screw up my knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness