Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:19 PM

494 posts, read 1,192,087 times

Advertisements

Wanted to bounce this off of you. The past 2-3 weeks, I usually run up these small hills (basically, bunny hills) along my route. Anyway, lately my right knee has gotten a stabbing pain when I go up these. I compensate by slowing down and maybe flattening my stride rather than tippy toing it, if that makes sense.

I self diagnosed it as runners knee and have been doing those stretching excercises with a foam roller every day (or I try to). Today, I avoided those hills and kinda ran through relatively flat areas. Felt fine. Gradual upslopes are ok and do not hurt. What do you think?

BTW, I'm not a heavy duty runner. Basically, 3 miles every other day. One nice cooler days I will get in some "long" runs of 4-5 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 11:05 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
I don't have an answer for you but you are making me nostalgic for the days when I "did hills" around Michigan Stadium ... I loved doing hills.

Good luck ... knee pain sucks!!

Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Same thing happens to me if I incline the treadmill too much.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:38 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,863,405 times
Do some leg muscle exercises. Squats and also work on the calf and hamstring. Make sure you gait is okay and you have the correct shoes (ie if you are flat foot or not, etc).

I had the same problem, probably worse. Could not run for more than a mile and the next day I would be in agony. I did the above and also noted that I have a flat foot on the rightt side. So bought some shoes with good arch support. Now I am able to run 6 miles without having much pain. It actually feels better if I add incline but that is probably due to my weak back

Old 06-26-2014, 08:37 AM

00molavi, For the past couple of years I've switched my gait to be a forefoot striker. I used to be a heel striker. I got this advice from a runner who is a marathoner and is in his high 50s. I run in those Newton shoes, which are designed for this. My shoes are a few months old so I don't think they contributed to this condition. It could just be my knees feeling the pain of old age (I'm 45).

Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,012,406 times
For me, I had to cut back on my HIIT runs; not only was it causing me knee/ankle issues, but with a degenerative disc in my back, it was causing me agony in one spot on my back. Now that I am at just 3x a week (vs 5-6x a week), its nearly non-existant pain.

I agree with 00molavi... leg resistant exercises are in order to strengthen your knees, and the support for your knees and other bones in your legs. It will help out a lot. Also, proper stretching before the run, and making sure you have had enough H2O goes a long ways too.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,863,405 times
If it makes you feel any better (or worse!), I am 47. Actually started doing this at age 45. Was pissed at my own disability to run despite being relatively fit. Now at least I can run a 10K in an hour. I did this last night and so far my knees are fine. Two years ago, I would be screaming.
One other thing is the surface you run on. I have resorted to the treadmill for the most part and if I go out, try to stay on the black top or find a track. Concrete just kills me.
I also use the elliptical & the stairmaster to improve my conditioning while causing less impact on my knees.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:36 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Chronic Knee Pain: Causes, Symptoms & Diagnosis

Old 06-27-2014, 08:52 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,526 times
Given that you said you are running up hills, I assume there are down hills you are also running. How are you running down those hills? It is possible that you are bothering your knees on the downhill, but the pain is showing up as you finish the downhill and start the up hill. More people have knee trouble down rather than up hill.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Given that you said you are running up hills, I assume there are down hills you are also running. How are you running down those hills? It is possible that you are bothering your knees on the downhill, but the pain is showing up as you finish the downhill and start the up hill. More people have knee trouble down rather than up hill.
The downhills are mostly gradual. Not a steep jump up like the hills. This is a circular course/track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness