Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 03:57 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,818 times

Advertisements

I have a solution for you in two words:

Home Gym

Obviously that may not be realistic for you depending on your situation but I ran into many of the same issues you did and I now work out at home and the only gym idiot is me!

You would be surprised at what you can find out there on Amazon or craigslist. Lots of exercise equipment from free weights, treadmills, machines, etc.... that people just want GONE and will take pennies on the dollar for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 04:03 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
it can work out cheaper over time to just buy your own weights at home..

Old 07-17-2014, 04:24 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Germs, really? How many phones now days have a key pad?

And people are just resting between their sets, normal, especially when lifting heavy in which rests can be upwards five to seven minutes on the heaviest sets. Texting gives someone to do while just waiting for the time to count down.

The normal thing to do is just ask to work in, or ask how many sets they have left.

The people who drive me crazy are the circuit trainers, who think they are allowed to use five or more equipment and get all angry when someone else uses any of them while they are doing their circuit.
Why do you take your cell phone to an area that is so filthy? You are looking to get an URI.

I get the seven minutes of rest. But, I think it makes no sense to hug the exercise equipment when the resting between sets is so long. I have to assume these folks are so self centered they do not see what they are doing. Why not get off the exercise equipment and text standing up somewhere nearby? But, guess what? They want to hug the machine for 15-20 minutes and only use it for about 2-4 minutes of exercise. Highly disconsiderate!

Old 07-17-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
it can work out cheaper over time to just buy your own weights at home..
Being there done that. I have a treadmill, a swedish ball, dumbells, and a stationary bicycle. But, once I am home I do not have the discipline to work out. I need to make the trip to the gym to exercise, otherwise I will not do a thing.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I have a solution for you in two words:

Home Gym

Obviously that may not be realistic for you depending on your situation but I ran into many of the same issues you did and I now work out at home and the only gym idiot is me!

You would be surprised at what you can find out there on Amazon or craigslist. Lots of exercise equipment from free weights, treadmills, machines, etc.... that people just want GONE and will take pennies on the dollar for.
I will probably sell my equipment one day. I just do not use it.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:46 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Why do you take your cell phone to an area that is so filthy? You are looking to get an URI.

I get the seven minutes of rest. But, I think it makes no sense to hug the exercise equipment when the resting between sets is so long. I have to assume these folks are so self centered they do not see what they are doing. Why not get off the exercise equipment and text standing up somewhere nearby? But, guess what? They want to hug the machine for 15-20 minutes and only use it for about 2-4 minutes of exercise. Highly disconsiderate!
25 years of going to the gym, including many years of wrestling and BJJ, no issues ever, only issues I ever known someone getting was from BJJ. To me the public trans system I use every day is much dirtier than the gym ever thought of being.

All you have to do is ask the person to work in. The sign of being done is walking away from the equipment, in which it is expected the person re-rack the weights, so a person is not going to go wonder off somewhere between their sets, and it is not their fault you will not ask to work in; you expect someone to read your mind?

What is self centered is you expecting someone to know what you want, and to know that you are too self conscious to ask to work in and should throw an invitation to you.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
25 years of going to the gym, including many years of wrestling and BJJ, no issues ever, only issues I ever known someone getting was from BJJ. To me the public trans system I use every day is much dirtier than the gym ever thought of being.

All you have to do is ask the person to work in. The sign of being done is walking away from the equipment, in which it is expected the person re-rack the weights, so a person is not going to go wonder off somewhere between their sets, and it is not their fault you will not ask to work in; you expect someone to read your mind?

What is self centered is you expecting someone to know what you want, and to know that you are too self conscious to ask to work in and should throw an invitation to you.
I cannot relate to wrestling. That is not even in my vocabulary.

I still think that seating in a piece of exercise equipment texting for up to eight minutes while the gym is full and others are waiting lack of empathy for others. And then do a set that last 90 secs and go back to texting------totally pathologic.

BTW, in my old gym there was big sign that said cell phones to be used only in the lobby. I guess I am getting what I paid for. I never saw this in the other more upscale gym.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:

re-rack the weights! I wish people would do this and do it correctly. I usually have to pull three 45lb plates off to find a 5lb plate. I think the people where I work out think this is the cleaning people's job to re-rack the weights. The worst are the people who leave them on the floor so you have to step over the plates.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 PM

47 posts, read 169,251 times
This is why I never go to gyms....I would not be able to control myself in this situation. Sorry guys I'm just being honest.

Try asking them if you can use the machine since they are texting and wasting time.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:17 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
BTW, in my old gym there was big sign that said cell phones to be used only in the lobby. I guess I am getting what I paid for. I never saw this in the other more upscale gym.
You make a good point. If you are going to make the effort to go to a gym, it may be worth paying a little extra to avoid the stress.

I don't like gyms anymore because of the germ factor, but I understand what you mean about not working out at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness