Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:13 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times

Advertisements

I actually got off of instagram because I just got tired of all the self promotion. It gets monotonous. If you are a 17-30 year old woman with a decent body and willing to pose a lot, you'll have 500 likes in 10 minutes. instagram appears to me to be nothing more than a way to sell one's appearance for little to no monotized benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 08:35 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I actually got off of instagram because I just got tired of all the self promotion. It gets monotonous. If you are a 17-30 year old woman with a decent body and willing to pose a lot, you'll have 500 likes in 10 minutes. instagram appears to me to be nothing more than a way to sell one's appearance for little to no monotized benefit.
But that's the point. The benefit doesn't have to be monetized. It's simply validation sought by all the people (and let's not kid ourselves...mostly women) from the anonymous world around them. And that validation is benefit enough to keep it going.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:49 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
I see your point now. Sorry I missed that to begin with. Sort of a long week, being a middle aged caucasian male who can only get "likes" on instagram from gay males. Hahaha.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:56 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
But it leads to monetary gain in many cases. At the very least, they get some small supplements company to get them to "join the street team," whatever that means, and get free supplements (and shirts). Maybe that saves them $150 per month. When most of these people don't have the skills for a "real" job and are already spending over $600 per month on food (okay, that's probably for the people trying to put on muscle, not someone like Selter), that's not insignificant. Or they get "photographers" to come shoot them and make a little money off that. Or they start marketing their online training services (they like to go on and on about their "booty builder programs" or whatever they call them). In extreme cases, they get some deal like whatever it is Jen got here.

The funny thing is these girls (pretend to) get freaked out if anyone looks at them in real life while they wear a sports bra and booty shorts or yoga pants to the gym (and they post tons of complaints about "omg some guy came up to me and talked to me in the gym today WTF"), yet they are encouraged to put 80-90% naked photos of themselves online for everyone to see by innovations like Facebook, Instagram, iPhones, and the like. It's amazing how these inventions make people not only let their guard down over their personal information, but make them actually want to reveal everything about themselves to the whole world.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:10 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
"Instagram star"?

LMAO ... Say no more.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:34 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Are those butt-implants????????????
I'd bet they are or the Brazilian butt lift documented below. I do NOT for one minute think that it's any more real than the deformity Kim Kardashian carries around. Though - NOT - as obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think she could have some success with marketing Brazilian butt lift procedures. I would bank any amount of money she has had that done. It is soooo popular right now - they vacuum fat off the waist, hips and inject right into the ass. I see/hear ads for it around here all the time. It is so obvious to me that with her skinny shape that ass is unnatural looking. Now yes, I HAVE seen girls/women with a natural large booty, but they ALWAYS have thick thighs and hips to go along with it. This chick looks weird. She is not even particularly pretty. And in no way looks like a fitness model with skinny upper body. She is also good at finding the right angles to make the butt look even more exaggerated. I checked out several body-building forums, and they almost 100% were making fun of her and agreeing she is fake. One guy said he went to school with her and she did NOT have that ass then.

Whatever, she might get 15 minutes of fame. Either that, or her 15 minutes is about up. There will always be someone else ready to take her place.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
But it leads to monetary gain in many cases. At the very least, they get some small supplements company to get them to "join the street team," whatever that means, and get free supplements (and shirts). Maybe that saves them $150 per month. When most of these people don't have the skills for a "real" job and are already spending over $600 per month on food (okay, that's probably for the people trying to put on muscle, not someone like Selter), that's not insignificant. Or they get "photographers" to come shoot them and make a little money off that. Or they start marketing their online training services (they like to go on and on about their "booty builder programs" or whatever they call them). In extreme cases, they get some deal like whatever it is Jen got here.
Most of those supplement sponsorships are just a lead in to get them hooked into a MLM scam. It looks like they are free but really it costs them more in the long run.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:34 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
What do they actually have to do, other than repost their stuff on their own IG accounts, and occasionally go to an event? If all they do is workout and have no job, it's better than nothing. I agree the people above them are getting more benefit than they are, but so what?

Old 12-11-2014, 12:37 PM

919 posts, read 848,183 times
Butterface

Old 12-11-2014, 12:47 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
This story has brought me to a realization about myself. I have realized that I have NO IDEA what 'Instagram' is. I've heard the word for years. And my telephone probably has something built-in, that would let me "instagram" my little head off, if I wanted to. But apart from that, I have no idea what this wondrous thing is. Is this like 'Twitter' (I don't "tweet", either., nor do I "do Facebook"... and I wish the Phone Zombies with their tuchis parked on machines all around the gym, wouldn't do it, either.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness