Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:37 AM

44 posts, read 160,882 times

Advertisements

The roads have been pretty bad around here and it seems like it's taking the plows longer to make their rounds as we get deeper into winter.

I'm tired of missing runs because of the weather and maybe I headed out a day sooner than I should have. But I know that they make some shoes specifically for trail running that may be better. They also make some cleats that attach to your shoes.

Has anyone tried any of these things or maybe you have another solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:46 AM

210 posts, read 319,380 times
I have Yaktrax - worked well for me in MN!

Sorry you slipped and fell. EEK!

Old 02-11-2015, 10:39 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
I used Yaktrax as well. I haven't gone out running for the past 2 weeks...I'm in Boston (aka the Anchorage or the lower 48).

Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocavara View Post
The roads have been pretty bad around here and it seems like it's taking the plows longer to make their rounds as we get deeper into winter.

I'm tired of missing runs because of the weather and maybe I headed out a day sooner than I should have. But I know that they make some shoes specifically for trail running that may be better. They also make some cleats that attach to your shoes.

Ugh..Invest in a great treadmill with all the options you love, that's how I solved the winter running problems, yes I have taken some falls myself... At 51 I don't need to break a something...

Old 02-11-2015, 11:10 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I agree find a gym or buy a treadmill ...sorry you fell . I hope you did not injure anything or any bones ...good luck .

Old 02-11-2015, 03:10 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
I lived in WI for many years and running during the winter was hard thanks to black ice.

I ran on the treadmill and did a lot of cross training during the winter. It was good to mix it up.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
If you are going to run outside during the winter, you need to find the right place to run. I once did a 10 mile run on packed snow on a country road with regular running shoes. There was no ice. It was a great run. The worst place to run with snow on the ground are sidewalks. You will encounter every type of condition. Trails are usually bad since few trails are plowed. Find a road that has been plowed and salted, or one that has only been plowed.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:58 PM

44 posts, read 160,882 times
I'm not hurt at all. Maybe just a touch of tenderness high up on my leg. Thanks for the concern.

Thanks for the tips and the Yaktrax recommendations well. Those look perfect.

A treadmill or a gym are on option but not one I like. Running on a treadmill just doesn't do it for me.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:32 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocavara View Post

I use cleats with upper support for the ankle but I am warm weather and guess you need more protection in your climate.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:28 AM

55 posts, read 59,755 times
Yaktrax here too. I run in all weather and just can't run inside so they work great for me! Our roads and sidewalks have been had lots of snow and ice the last few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness