Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:40 PM

25 posts, read 22,850 times

Advertisements

I'm 6'1-6'2 and weigh ~150lbs @ 30 years old. For whatever reason, I have such a hard time going above 150lbs. I've tried counting calories and even went on a 4500+ calorie diet which hardly made a difference. I eventually quit that because I was exhausted from constantly eating + paying so much for food and not seeing much of a difference. Just recently, I fasted for a month (sunrise to sunset) and lost about 10lbs. After that, I went back to my regular diet and quickly picked up the weight I had lost, but again have stopped at that magic number of 150lbs.

What is it that stops me from going above 150lbs? Do I need a combination of lifting weights + eating? Can I just do pushups/pullups and consider those as workouts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 04:09 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times
Why the obsession with bulk, friend? Today's monster pecs are tomorrow's man boobs. Enough 6-packs of beer/soda in your 50's and beyond, and the "6-or-8-pack" holding up your navel will also vanish into fat. I, a fellow ectomorph, dream of getting DOWN to 150 (I stand 5'11") and am happily most of the way there. The only truly healthy weight training is that which helps speed recovery from injury/surgery, or that which builds strength. Besides that it's all ego satiation, which is great until "mid-middle age" when everything "goes south." (Ever notice how most champion bodybuilders avoid the camera like the plague after they pass a certain age? I think the terms "tub of lard" and "fat sack o' sh-t" were coined in honor of one of those poor guys. The highlight of lots of folks' high school reunions is seeing how the football stars turned out - karma is nearly always a b-tch for those dudes!)

With a 6'2" frame you ought to be targeting a weight no higher than about 165-170 lbs. Beyond that point we're talking future flab. Just like when you're debating whether or not to pursue a college - or advanced - degree, what you decide now DOES affect where you'll be down the road. What you ought to be is thankful that you have such a hard time gaining weight. Nature did you a big favor!

But why not consult your physician instead of the armchair jocks of C-D? hahaha

Old 08-02-2015, 04:27 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Your subconscious desire to not get fat? I mean why in the world would you fast if you're trying to gain weight?

Anyways, its very elementary that you're just not eating enough food.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:03 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
With a 6'2" frame you ought to be targeting a weight no higher than about 165-170 lbs. Beyond that point we're talking future flab.
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Your subconscious desire to not get fat? I mean why in the world would you fast if you're trying to gain weight?

Anyways, its very elementary that you're just not eating enough food.
Scale doesn't lie. Consume enough food, your weight will go up. Consume too little food, it doesn't go up or drops.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:27 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
??

Scale doesn't lie. Consume enough food, your weight will go up. Consume too little food, it doesn't go up or drops.
Its that simple, really!

Old 08-02-2015, 06:32 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Why the obsession with bulk, friend? Today's monster pecs are tomorrow's man boobs. Enough 6-packs of beer/soda in your 50's and beyond, and the "6-or-8-pack" holding up your navel will also vanish into fat. I, a fellow ectomorph, dream of getting DOWN to 150 (I stand 5'11") and am happily most of the way there. The only truly healthy weight training is that which helps speed recovery from injury/surgery, or that which builds strength. Besides that it's all ego satiation, which is great until "mid-middle age" when everything "goes south." (Ever notice how most champion bodybuilders avoid the camera like the plague after they pass a certain age? I think the terms "tub of lard" and "fat sack o' sh-t" were coined in honor of one of those poor guys. The highlight of lots of folks' high school reunions is seeing how the football stars turned out - karma is nearly always a b-tch for those dudes!)

With a 6'2" frame you ought to be targeting a weight no higher than about 165-170 lbs. Beyond that point we're talking future flab. Just like when you're debating whether or not to pursue a college - or advanced - degree, what you decide now DOES affect where you'll be down the road. What you ought to be is thankful that you have such a hard time gaining weight. Nature did you a big favor!

But why not consult your physician instead of the armchair jocks of C-D? hahaha
Wow...you got literally everything wrong. Impressive.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceig View Post
I'm 6'1-6'2 and weigh ~150lbs @ 30 years old. For whatever reason, I have such a hard time going above 150lbs. I've tried counting calories and even went on a 4500+ calorie diet which hardly made a difference. I eventually quit that because I was exhausted from constantly eating + paying so much for food and not seeing much of a difference. Just recently, I fasted for a month (sunrise to sunset) and lost about 10lbs. After that, I went back to my regular diet and quickly picked up the weight I had lost, but again have stopped at that magic number of 150lbs.

What is it that stops me from going above 150lbs? Do I need a combination of lifting weights + eating? Can I just do pushups/pullups and consider those as workouts?
I have no clue how you could truly eat 4500+ calories and not gain at least some weight. We're you actually measuring and weighing foods or just eye balling it?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Old 08-02-2015, 06:52 PM

18,419 posts, read 19,031,744 times
the older you get the more likely you will add more weight. don't be in a hurry to get your dad bod.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:09 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,759 times
In my experience, bigger guys tend to eat more than they realize. Skinny guys typically don't eat nearly as much as they think they do.

The skinny man may eat several high calorie, junk meals each day but the total caloric intake may end up being much lower than they thought. It feels like you ate 4,000 calories, but you really had about 2800. A greasy, fat 2800, but still 2800.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the older you get the more likely you will add more weight. don't be in a hurry to get your dad bod.
I think he's aiming for the opposite of the "dad bod".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness