Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 11:04 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,727 times

Advertisements

I notice girls talking about lifting as if it's "on fleek".

popularized by social media?

I dunno, seems like a lack of imagination when people have to follow the latest trend.

I think this lifting has turned quite a number of girls too masculine, i.e. built upper body as opposed to curves in all the right places.

JMO. More power to you if this is your thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 11:13 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Are you debating the look of women who lift weights?

Are you asking if women lifting weights is a trend?

I'm not sure where you've been these days, but women lifting weights has been going on for a long time now. Crossfit really started getting popular 7 years ago.

So it's nothing relatively new or recent to see women lifting weights.

And yes, some people don't mind women who have the muscle look, others do. Just like with anything else in life, people have different opinions.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:42 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Since at least the mid 80's.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4,203,200_.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...172d058641.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDYwMA...UFdJf/$_35.JPG

Old 10-26-2015, 12:25 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post

I dunno, seems like a lack of imagination when people have to follow the latest trend.

I think this lifting has turned quite a number of girls too masculine, i.e. built upper body as opposed to curves in all the right places.

I have no idea what you are talking about. What the h*ll is "on fleek"?

I dont think its a "trend" as YOU say. I think that people just realize that in order to improve their health/fitness they need to do resistance training. I think Crossfit helps because if you were to go into any Crossfit gym, you'll see women with the most outstanding fit/healthy/sexy bodies, and lets be honest, EVERYONE wants a fit/healthy/sexy body.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:25 AM

589 posts, read 696,409 times
Quote:
The women who squat at my gym still look like ladies, and the squatting has accentuated their curves. I think you're thinking of bodybuilding women, who most women will never look like unless they dedicate themselves to lifting heavy.

Although I'm a guy I still say more women need to lift. Cardio alone did little for my physique when I was an overweight blob. Adding in lifting along with cardio is when I got to a healthy weight.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:26 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about. What the h*ll is "on fleek"?

I dont think its a "trend" as YOU say. I think that people just realize that in order to improve their health/fitness they need to do resistance training. I think Crossfit helps because if you were to go into any Crossfit gym, you'll see women with the most outstanding fit/healthy/sexy bodies, and lets be honest, EVERYONE wants a fit/healthy/sexy body.

Reps to you.

FYI, "on fleek" is a terrible slang phrase being used recently for something being very good, or the pinnacle of its kind.

Urban Dictionary: on fleek

I also had to laugh at the notion that women "lifting weights" was a result of a "lack of imagination", according to the OP.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:30 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:

The average person is more concerned with health and healthy living/eating now than at any other point in the past.

If you see an increase in the number of women participating in resistance training, it might be due to this:

https://www.google.com/#q=resistance...fits+for+women

The simple fact is that the more lean mass you carry, the higher your basal metabolic rate is, the more calories you burn throughout the day. There are lots of other benefits for women, too.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:49 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
I would say yes. It is a trend that started a while back but it is bigger than ever now. I do see some ladies in the gym training like men and it is more common. When I started lifting in 1986 there was 1 woman in our gym. 5 years later in Virginia I was training in a gym that had 3 women total. Go to any gym now and look around.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:51 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,939 times
I just started doing more weights a few months ago, and now I do more strength training than cardio. I started following some hot women on Instagram, and I wanted to look like them. I learned that all of them lift such as squats and deadlifts. I started doing these a few months ago and have noticed big improvements that cardio alone did not help me with. I used to hate working out because of how cardio would leave me breathless, but now I only do cardio 2-3x a week because I still like to get my heart pumped, but I actually look forward to going to the gym and lift weights. Besides, there are some pretty hot guys in the weight section, and that keeps me motivated as well.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:03 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Lifting weights is a good thing. As for if it's "a trend"? Yes and no.

For ever, women have stated that they don't want to lift weights because they "don't want to get bulky". Some people knew this wasn't the case and lifted anyway. More and more women are actually listening (see quoted post below), so you're starting to see more women lifting weights than they did in the past, but it's by no means a "trend".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
I just started doing more weights a few months ago, and now I do more strength training than cardio. I started following some hot women on Instagram, and I wanted to look like them. I learned that all of them lift such as squats and deadlifts.
Communication is easier now than it ever was, and so myths like "Lifting weights will automatically make me bulky" are going away as more people share their real life experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness