Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 01:08 PM

211 posts, read 289,836 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I've just built out a free weights gym in my 3rd car tandem garage. This includes an adjustable bench, pairs of 5-50 lbs dumb bell set on a rack, and a squat rack with 280 lbs of rubber plates. I've put the entire gym on horse stall mats. (see images attached)

I'm not a novice in working out with free weights, but I'm also no expert. I've been working out on-and-off for several years but never consistent.

Any tips or advice before getting started with a workout regime? Also, I've heard from several people that working out at home is not as good as working out at a gym because it's not as motivating. Also, that I'll regret spending the money on setting this up (I bought the equipment used as about half the cost for a new similar set up).

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Home Gym, any tips or advice-20160207_215312.jpg   Home Gym, any tips or advice-20160207_215259.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 01:51 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
The equipment you bought is just what you needed. If you can't get motivated to work out at home, the sure, it could be a problem... but your body won't care if you are moving weight in your basement or at a gym that you pay $100 a month for.

Stick to mostly compound exercises that hit the major muscle groups. You can probably hit them 3 times a week (say, Mon/Wed/Fri)

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Bent Over Rows... this should be the basis of your workouts.
Isolation movements like bicep curls or tricep extensions should be considered accessory work.

Here's a decent workout plan for you. Work out 3 times a week, alternating between Workout A and Workout B (so one week would be ABA, the next BAB)

Workout A
Squats - 5 sets of 5
Bench Press - 5 sets of 5
Bent Over Rows - 5 sets of 5
Barbell Shrugs - 3 sets of 8
Skullcrushers (probably need a curl bar for these) - 3 sets of 8
Chin Ups - 2 or 3 sets to failure. If you can't do at least 5 chin ups, then just do bicep curls 3 sets of 8 until you are strong enough to do chin ups.

Workout B
Squats - 5 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Overhead Press - 5 sets of 5
Bent Over Rows - 5 sets of 5 (maybe 10% less weight than Workout A because heavy Deadlifts will fatigue you)
Close Grip Bench Press - 3 sets of 8
Bicep Curls - 3 sets of 8

Rest about 3 minutes between each set. Workouts should take about 90 minutes. Do a warmup set or two for each of the 5x5 compound movements. Add 5 pounds to each exercise everytime you do it. If you fail to complete the 5 sets of 5, then repeat that weight the next time you do it. If you fail a second time, reduce the weight by 10% and work back up.

For example, let's take bench press.

Say we start at 140 pounds. 5 sets of 5, complete. Next workout, do 145. No problems, so go for 150 pounds and knock out 5 sets of 5. Great. The next A workout we do 155. We do it fine as well. Great. The next A workout, we go for 160. We fail on the last set, last rep. The next A workout we repeat at 160. If we do 5 sets of 5 successfully, then we move to 165 for the next workout. If we fail that, then we try 165 again. Fail it twice? Then we go back to 150 5 sets of 5 and move up from there.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:00 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Do you have mirrors? (to spot check your form?)

Also, will you buy any cardio equipment?

Old 02-08-2016, 02:01 PM

Excellent workout program. Thanks for that.

In Workout B, you included dead-lifts but only said 1 set of 5 reps...is that correct?

Also, in your example of the 5 sets, if I can do more than 5 reps for any of the sets, should I do more reps, or force myself for a break? Should I simply increase the weight until my last set of 5 reps can't be more than 5 reps?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2016, 02:06 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
I am very happy to have my home gym. I don't use it every day by any means, but I do use it. I don't see any mirrors in your gym. Get some big ones and lean them against the wall. They are helpful and motivating. I also have a TV in my gym.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Do you have mirrors? (to spot check your form?)

Also, will you buy any cardio equipment?

We will be getting some very soon and will install them infront of the squat rack to check the form.
Yes, my wife wants to get an elliptical for the home gym. I plan on running outside for cardio.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I am very happy to have my home gym. I don't use it every day by any means, but I do use it. I don't see any mirrors in your gym. Get some big ones and lean them against the wall. They are helpful and motivating. I also have a TV in my gym.
I agree about the motivational aspect of having mirrors. We will be getting some soon. And yes to the TV as well...probably just one that is Wifi based so the wife can watch something while using the elliptical and I can watch whatever while lifting.

Also will be getting some speaker setup to play music via Bluetooth from my phone.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:25 PM

Also, where can I buy some wall mirrors that I can install myself? Is there a particular size that I should buy and how high off the ground should I install the mirror?

Old 02-08-2016, 02:40 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelFeedsTheSoul View Post
Excellent workout program. Thanks for that.

In Workout B, you included dead-lifts but only said 1 set of 5 reps...is that correct?

Also, in your example of the 5 sets, if I can do more than 5 reps for any of the sets, should I do more reps, or force myself for a break? Should I simply increase the weight until my last set of 5 reps can't be more than 5 reps?

Thanks
Yeah, just one set of 5 reps should be fine. You'll do a couple of warmup sets, but the actual working set will push you pretty hard, and deadlifts fatigue your central nervous system quite a bit. With as many other compounds as you will be doing, this will be enough.

If you can do more than 5 reps for 5 sets, I'd advise to just stop at 5x5. If it is easy, then great, you can add 5 pounds to the lift the next time you are due to perform that lift. Start out reasonably light; You shouldn't struggle your first few days in the gym as you get acquainted with good form (watch highly regarded YouTube instructional videos if neccessarry). Adding weight to the bar every time in the gym means that even if you could squeeze out 6 or 7... or even 10... reps on these sets, you will quickly get to a point where 5x5 will be very taxing on you.

Best of luck. If you'd like more information on this program which I have found quite successful, check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAuARgqS6aQ

Old 02-08-2016, 02:44 PM

Great, thanks Steve!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness