Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 02:03 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall.John123 View Post
Haha, Thanks all for the responses.

I saw stronglifts but ideally I wanted more than just 5 exercises to do. I realize not to take a lot of information on here and run with it. But, even with the suggestions I just do more research. Thanks again!
It will kick your arse once you find your threshold. And be humbled. Seriously there is one with the accessory exercises added back in. Additional compound movements as in dips, pullups,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 03:41 PM

36 posts, read 32,637 times
I ended up going with Strong Lifts. Because I liked the simplicity of it. But, I used Mike Mathews for most of my research and he had a program I started and got the book for. I changed to Strong Lifts for a few reasons like I could do it from home with a very minimum amount of equipment and like I said it was just to dam easy to keep track off. Mike Mathews program goes as follows though.

Day 1: Chest & Calves
Incline Barbell Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Press
Flat Barbell Bench Press
Optional: Dip (Chest Variation)
Calf Workout A

Day 2: Back & ABS
Barbell Deadlift
Barbell Row
Wide-Grip Pull-Up or Chin-Up
Optional: Close-Grip Let. Pulldown
Abs Circuit

Day 3: Shoulders & Calves
Barbell Military Press
Side Lateral Rise
Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise
Calf Workout B

Day 4: Upper Body & ABS
Incline Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Curl
Close-Grip Bench Press
Alternating Dumbbell Curl
Seated Triceps Press
Abs Circuit

Day 5: Legs & Shoulders
Barbell Squat
Leg Press
Romanian Deadlift
Side Lateral Raise
Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise
Calf Workout C

Old 03-16-2016, 05:47 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
OP, if you're still looking let me throw out another one: Body for life by Bill Phillips. It's a fantastic beginner/intermediate program that I used when I first started lifting. I ended up buying his cookbook but not his body for life book or his nutrition supplements. At the time (8 years ago, mygosh!) there was enough free info on workouts on his website that I didn't need any other books. It got me some FANTASTIC newbie gains and in 3 months I went from 15lb overweight and weak to feeling strong with a slightly visible 6 pack.

By the time I was 3 months in, I was enthusiastic enough about fitness that I started doing more research and moving onto more interesting plans. The change lasted, as I still lift regularly. My discipline had fallen of for a while, but I'll get back to the 'almost' six pack at some point.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:58 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,191,390 times
I'm not a big fan of barbell squats, so I would recommend a combination of Power to the People and a kettlebell program involving Swings and Get ups. For full range of motion squats, use goblet squats for a warm up and don't be afraid to go heavy.

In a nutshell, Deadlift and Bench Press twice a week, and use a combination of Turkish Get Ups and Swings twice a week.

You'll get in tremendous shape.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:33 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,000,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Muscle confusion is BS, and "changing things up" is generally a recipe for spinning your wheels.
Mmmmm....I'm not so sure.

Arnold said muscle confusion worked for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVQtF9Q4920

--

Old 03-23-2016, 12:42 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Mmmmm....I'm not so sure.

Arnold said muscle confusion worked for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVQtF9Q4920

--
Arnold isn't an exercise physiologist.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:19 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,577,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I'm not a big fan of barbell squats, so I would recommend a combination of Power to the People and a kettlebell program involving Swings and Get ups. For full range of motion squats, use goblet squats for a warm up and don't be afraid to go heavy.

In a nutshell, Deadlift and Bench Press twice a week, and use a combination of Turkish Get Ups and Swings twice a week.

You'll get in tremendous shape.
Barbell squats are very challenging. I can see why some people don't like them. They are an extremely effective strength and mass builder though, certainly more so than goblet squats and kettlebell swings.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Barbell squats are very challenging. I can see why some people don't like them. They are an extremely effective strength and mass builder though, certainly more so than goblet squats and kettlebell swings.
I agree that barbell squats are great at building mass, but what is the purpose of building mass? Are you in a profession where mass is necessary? If not, a trap-bar dead lift works essentially the same muscles, but with less risk to the lumbar region of your spine, as the study below indicates.

http://www.asbweb.org/conferences/2003/pdfs/93.pdf

That's not to say, you won't build mass, as that's often a component of your diet, but it's also not nearly as technical as a barbell squat. The deadlift is one of the easiest lifts to learn and is more suitable for a larger proportion of the population than barbell squatting, as the following video expresses.

https://youtu.be/b8lNU5HLtmk

The kettlebell goblet squat is effective because it's important for hip mobility to maintain a deep squat throughout your life, as the article below discusses.

https://bretcontreras.com/a-set-of-g...e-doctor-away/

The kettlebell swing has many benefits beyond building mass (if mass building is a benefit). If you're an athlete that doesn't require a significant amount of mass, the objective should be to get as strong as possible as safely as possible.

Personally, I think the barbell squat carries too much risk. You may disagree, but I didn't say it was because it was too challenging. I used to barbell squat frequently, but I realized that there was no noticeable drop in athletic performance after dropping it from my schedule. I also view fitness a lifelong journey. The barbell squat just doesn't have a place in my program; however, you're entitled to do whatever you wish.

Last edited by Jobster; 03-23-2016 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-23-2016, 07:57 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,577,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I agree that barbell squats are great at building mass, but what is the purpose of building mass? Are you in a profession where mass is necessary? If not, a trap-bar dead lift works essentially the same muscles, but with less risk to the lumbar region of your spine, as the study below indicates.

http://www.asbweb.org/conferences/2003/pdfs/93.pdf

That's not to say, you won't build mass, as that's often a component of your diet, but it's also not nearly as technical as a barbell squat. The deadlift is one of the easiest lifts to learn and is more suitable for a larger proportion of the population than barbell squatting, as the following video expresses.

https://youtu.be/b8lNU5HLtmk

The kettlebell goblet squat is effective because it's important for hip mobility to maintain a deep squat throughout your life, as the article below discusses.

https://bretcontreras.com/a-set-of-g...e-doctor-away/

The kettlebell swing has many benefits beyond building mass (if mass building is a benefit). If you're an athlete that doesn't require a significant amount of mass, the objective should be to get as strong as possible as safely as possible.

Personally, I think the barbell squat carries too much risk. You may disagree, but I didn't say it was because it was too challenging. I used to barbell squat frequently, but I realized that there was no noticeable drop in athletic performance after dropping it from my schedule. I also view fitness a lifelong journey. The barbell squat just doesn't have a place in my program; however, you're entitled to do whatever you wish.
You'll most definitely build more raw strength doing heavy squats than any of the exercises that you're talking about. I don't see how anyone who knows what they're talking about compares a trap bar deadlift to a back squat. There's no comparison. You might as well compare the squat to a leg press because they both work the quads.

I guess if the squat is too challenging you can do lesser exercises and still build strength. It's better than nothing.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You'll most definitely build more raw strength doing heavy squats than any of the exercises that you're talking about. I don't see how anyone who knows what they're talking about compares a trap bar deadlift to a back squat. There's no comparison. You might as well compare the squat to a leg press because they both work the quads.

I guess if the squat is too challenging you can do lesser exercises and still build strength. It's better than nothing.
Right, those verifiable studies I showed are completely meaningless. And Grey Cook has no idea what he's talking about, nor guys like Mike Boyle who are also wary of the squat.

Even my own anecdotal evidence in which I always dead-lifted more than I could squat was a mere illusion. Apparently, some guy on the internet knows my own body better than myself.

Guess, I'll start squatting because some guy under 30 on the internet told me to do so without any evidence to support his claim.

It's your spine and your hips man. Do whatever you want to do. It's your body. You just need to realize that not everyone has to agree with you. I've done plenty of research, probably a lot more than you, and this is the conclusion I've come to.

How many years have you been lifting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness