Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 9,674 times

Advertisements

All these years of doing it because I thought I had to, because I thought more people including girls would like me, because I thought I had to be physically strong to be a man. I busted my ass in the gym in and out. Spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on food, protein powders, supplements, gym memberships, and for what? If you saw me in a shirt, you would laugh at my face if I told you I lift weights. Bodybuilding requires a huge amount of work with minimal reward.

It is the most unfair hobby ever, because how good your results are, have everything to do with your hormonal makeup and genetics and little to do with hard work. Of course, people who have an easy time building muscle, will always claim is all hard work. It is easier on the ego to believe that a man has obtained something, because of something he did, rather than something he is. It doesn't help the fact that so many guys are on steroids nowadays. You'd be surprised. I've met people who I had no clue they were on them. They blatantly tell you their steroid stack. If anything, coming to this epiphany, makes me want to use steroids myself. I'm sick and tired of doing everything in my power, yet not seeing the results that I want, while other people do.

Yes, I saw some results, but for all the work and money I invested, is pathetic. Such a waste of time. And for what? It's completely unnecessary and serves no purpose. Muscles are not needed, especially in today's society where the intellect and money reign supreme.

This crap has lowered my self esteem, because you can only cope so much. It destroys your from the inside, because you know you have acquired the knowledge, you know you are doing everything right, you are doing the same routines and following similar diets as those guys, yet you have nothing to show for it. It eats you inside and makes you bitter, because you cannot obtain what they have.

At least, with cars and money, if you work hard enough, save money, use credit, you can obtain them. You may not have a Ferrari or a 5 million dollar house, but most people don't. You can still get something nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 06:49 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
You were lifting for the wrong reasons. Lift for your health, not to impress girls or to show off your manliness.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:52 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You were lifting for the wrong reasons. Lift for your health, not to impress girls or to show off your manliness.
I pretty much agree with this.

In my opinion, any fitness endeavor entered to last is one for a personal quality of life reason, not for some mirror gawking or people hanging over you because of some look you are hoping to achieve. All of that crap should be the gravy of your efforts, not the meat.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:10 PM

10 posts, read 12,884 times
You should be more concerned with your internal insecurities than your muscles.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I feel the same way about cable tv.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:38 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
It doesn't help the fact that so many guys are on steroids nowadays. You'd be surprised. I've met people who I had no clue they were on them. They blatantly tell you their steroid stack. If anything, coming to this epiphany, makes me want to use steroids myself. I'm sick and tired of doing everything in my power, yet not seeing the results that I want, while other people do.
LOL. This I kind of have to agree with. I used to think one of my best friend was all natural because his results were killer. He had a Thor body, but it turns out he took roids. He admitted to me a few years afterward. He's not on them anymore. Apparently, you can take em for a short while and then stop. He had a good start. Now he just maintains what he has.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:59 PM

33,245 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydreams View Post
All these years of doing it because I thought I had to, because I thought more people including girls would like me, because I thought I had to be physically strong to be a man. I busted my ass in the gym in and out. Spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on food, protein powders, supplements, gym memberships, and for what? If you saw me in a shirt, you would laugh at my face if I told you I lift weights. Bodybuilding requires a huge amount of work with minimal reward.

It is the most unfair hobby ever, because how good your results are, have everything to do with your hormonal makeup and genetics and little to do with hard work. Of course, people who have an easy time building muscle, will always claim is all hard work. It is easier on the ego to believe that a man has obtained something, because of something he did, rather than something he is. It doesn't help the fact that so many guys are on steroids nowadays. You'd be surprised. I've met people who I had no clue they were on them. They blatantly tell you their steroid stack. If anything, coming to this epiphany, makes me want to use steroids myself. I'm sick and tired of doing everything in my power, yet not seeing the results that I want, while other people do.

Yes, I saw some results, but for all the work and money I invested, is pathetic. Such a waste of time. And for what? It's completely unnecessary and serves no purpose. Muscles are not needed, especially in today's society where the intellect and money reign supreme.

This crap has lowered my self esteem, because you can only cope so much. It destroys your from the inside, because you know you have acquired the knowledge, you know you are doing everything right, you are doing the same routines and following similar diets as those guys, yet you have nothing to show for it. It eats you inside and makes you bitter, because you cannot obtain what they have.

At least, with cars and money, if you work hard enough, save money, use credit, you can obtain them. You may not have a Ferrari or a 5 million dollar house, but most people don't. You can still get something nice.

Despite those old Charles Atlas ads in the back of the comic books, muscles don't make the man. And while some women like muscles, others don't. So those are the wrong motivations for wanting muscles. Even if you don't have good genetics for developing big muscles, weight training is still good for you. And you don't need to spend large amounts of time doing it.

I don't know what kind of training routine you've been doing, but maybe you're doing too much. To get bigger you might try doing a few basic compound exercises like the squat, deadlift, benchpress, and bentover row, and that's all. Keep the reps low, around 5 to 8, and just do a few sets of each after warmups. And rest a few minutes between sets. Maybe do the squats one day, rest a day, then do deadlifts and bentover rows, rest a day, then do benchpresses. Eat well, and give it some time, and see what happens. Keep it simple.

Last edited by Michael Way; 10-10-2016 at 09:14 PM..

Old 10-10-2016, 09:06 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I pretty much agree with this.

In my opinion, any fitness endeavor entered to last is one for a personal quality of life reason, not for some mirror gawking or people hanging over you because of some look you are hoping to achieve. All of that crap should be the gravy of your efforts, not the meat.
Ha! Most men on our Relationship Forum will disagree.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:34 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Anyways, I'm glad that news link after news link shows the benefits of resistance training (AKA lifting weights, even bodyweight exercises).

I can remember back to when I was in high school decades ago. The prevailing 'wisdom' back then was that lifting weights was mostly a vanity thing, that it made you slow and cumbersome. Also things like protein powders was a waste of money and time.

Nowadays weight training is promoted for people of all ages and walks of life. Resistance training does so many good things for your body particularly as you grow older, that steady state cardio can't.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-15-2016 at 11:46 PM..

Old 10-10-2016, 10:39 PM

9,982 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Of course it's self-serving. Who else is it supposed to serve other than the person doing it? Same goes for any exercise routine. Whether it's a waste of time depends on how and why you're doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness