Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 10:47 AM

133 posts, read 162,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Ok,

Just about every other person who has successfully dropped weight says "my secret was cutting out carbs". Good advice ok, but the question is: Is this not expensive? Carbs make up just about every meal I eat during the day. Cereal, sandwiches, mashed potatoes.

Approaching this in a practical sense. If you cut out carbs, what do you replace it with without breaking the bank?

- HS
It is not fat that that makes you fat. It is not carbs that make you fat. It is simply overeating. Why do people overeat? Because they generally eat garbage processed foods high in calorie density and low in satiety. When you cut out carbs, it removes grains, and grain-based foods are notoriously easy to overeat and don't keep you full. When you cut carbs you remove:

- Cereal, oatmeal, bread, pasta and other low-nutrient, high-allergen, gut-irritating garbage
- Virtually every frozen meal
- Sandwiches full of garbage lunchmeats
- Candy, crackers, chips, soda and every sweetened drink

If you want to lean out, it is VERY simple: do not drink any calories (start loving water), avoid all grains (wheat, corn, oats - it's all highly allergenic, low-nutrient garbage) and start eating tons of fresh meat.

You'll probably find your skin will clear up as well because anything that is a seed - grains and nuts primarily - are full of plant-based phytochemicals that irritate the skin and make you itch and sneeze.

Prioritize meats and WHOLE EGGS, especially fresh red meats like steak and lamb, round out your meals with well-cooked vegetables and get your carbs from white potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash. Learn to bake, braise and roast instead of frying and don't bread anything in flours. If you stop drinking calories and avoid grains, flours and added sugars the weight will melt off. Learn to get your fats from animals - not from plants and seeds. You are an animal and you are healthiest when you assimilate animal fats into your system. People get VERY unhealthy when their internal fat starts mirroring plant fats. You want SATURATED fat, not unsaturated. If you must cook with fat, stick to traditional fats - real butter, extra virgin olive oil and virgin coconut oil. They don't oxidize and become carcinogenic when you apply heat. The liquid unsaturated fats (canola, soy/vegetable, corn, cottonseed, sunflower, safflower) turn into paint when you eat them and become cancerous.

Dairy is ok, but it's very fattening when you find yourself putting cheese on every single thing. If you must eat dairy, I suggest whole milk and full fat cheeses. All the vitamins in dairy are in the fat, and reduced fat dairy is why kids need braces these days. Vitamin D, K and A are in milkfat, and going to skim milk has shrunken our jaw lines and made our teeth brittle and crooked. Don't eat the processed, low fat stuff. Have all the yogurt you want but make sure it is plain, unsweetened yogurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 10:53 AM

133 posts, read 162,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
We don't eat too much protein. We often eat saturated protein. And we often choose fruit over vegetables. And we are often sedentary can active...

Yes too much protein and sedentary lifestyles can contribute to gout, heart disease, etc... but 'too much protein' is just as misleading as eat more protein, less carbs.
That's not true. Protein doesn't cause gout. Diets laden with unsatured fat and refined sugar causes gout. If you want gout, eat flour fried in soybean oil and have a Pepsi. If you want to cure gout, eat steak and baked potatoes.

The American diet is VERY low in protein. Only around 18% of our calories are from protein. I suggest eating 40-50% protein to lose weight, and make sure as much of your fat is natural saturated fat as possible. Red meat is best because it is the cleanest meat with the highest quality protein and highest concentration of vitamins. The only protein source superior to beef and lamb is eggs. Eggs are the #1 healthiest food on Earth unless you can stomach beef liver.

I probably only eat 30% protein now, but that's because I have a 29" waist and a 40" chest now...used to be the other way around...

Old 01-01-2017, 11:08 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times
After around nine months on a low-carb diet, I looked at my grocery spending and found that, after accounting for the fact that I no longer needed acid reflux medicine or trips to the chiropractor, I was SAVING around $1000 per year.

A few years ago when I had a lot of expenses and needed to save money, I started getting "bit boxes" from a rancher who raised black angus cattle. The "bits" were tongue, heart, oxtail, liver, and other less-common cuts. Tongue in particular is actually very good--cut it into 2" slices and throw it in the pressure cooker for 40 minutes. Give the skin to your dog or cat and enjoy the rest.

You can find these "odd cuts" at co-ops, farmers markets, or at eatwild.org.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:12 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
We eat too much protein. Everyone has bought into this myth that we need to up our protein intake. Please do more research on different types of eating before falling onto a bandwagon.
Perhaps some do, but even on a low carb diet, I don't eat that much protein. Still only 2-4 ounces at a time. I do not get very hungry, and I do not snack either. I keep hard boiled eggs and cheese in the fridge if I get hungry.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:53 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
I've been cutting carbs for about 3 weeks now. I LOVE bread, but have cut WAY back. I just traded in my regular bread and tortillas for low carb versions, and have started using almond flour instead of white flour. Lots of vegetables, a little less fruit, but more Walnuts (they have lots of fiber and are good at lowering cholesterol). We're switching to brown rice once all our white rice is gone. I use websites as guides because I'm not good at coming up with my own ideas as far as low carb cooking, and Blogilates/Hasfit/Diet Doctor are great resources. Blogilates and Hasfit are also great exercise websites. We also belong to a gymn.

I have food allergies that I was diagnosed with last year (peanut, alcohol, and certain preservatives), so told my allergist at my last visit what I was up to. She said that making all those changes was a lot better for your health in the long run, even though the allergy forced me to avoid certain things. She said my complexion looked a lot better, because when I first came to see her, my cheeks and neck had a slight red flush to them, which is now gone.

There is a vast array of foods to choose from nowdays. My local HEB stocks so many low carb varieties, it's insane. They stock all kinds of snacks, like jicama tacos and cut veggies and zucchini and other types of squash noodles. Paqui chps are great too. I can't eat Doritos anymore (Allergy to something in them), and my husband found Paquis and they are awesome. Totally organic and all natural and they aren't greasy and sloppy like Doritos. Skinny Pop Popcorn is great too. It's low carb, peanut and tree nut free, non GMO. Oh, another great resource is Hungry Girl! She has a number of cookbooks, an email newsletter and website chock full of recipes and shopping ideas!

Last edited by love roses; 01-01-2017 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 12:21 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
That's not true. Protein doesn't cause gout. Diets laden with unsatured fat and refined sugar causes gout. If you want gout, eat flour fried in soybean oil and have a Pepsi. If you want to cure gout, eat steak and baked potatoes.

The American diet is VERY low in protein. Only around 18% of our calories are from protein. I suggest eating 40-50% protein to lose weight, and make sure as much of your fat is natural saturated fat as possible. Red meat is best because it is the cleanest meat with the highest quality protein and highest concentration of vitamins. The only protein source superior to beef and lamb is eggs. Eggs are the #1 healthiest food on Earth unless you can stomach beef liver.

I probably only eat 30% protein now, but that's because I have a 29" waist and a 40" chest now...used to be the other way around...
3rd paragraph down. Purines:

Gout (Gouty Arthritis): Symptoms, Treatment, Causes, & More

Your reference to the 40/30/30 or 40/40/20 diet has been utilized for years.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:49 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
I cut out "bad" carbs: pasta, white bread, white rice, white potatoes. Rarely have sweets anymore and no more soda. Never ate chips so I'm not missing anything. I drink water or my own decaf iced tea with stevia. I have lost 20 pounds and have not felt deprived.

I do have cereal on occasion but it is Ezekiel mixed with ancient grains Cheerios. I add some sliced almonds and berries. Most mornings I have Ezekiel toast with almond butter. I put cream in my coffee which keeps me satisfied until I have breakfast about 2 hours after I wake up. I try to have protein at most meals: fish, lamb, chicken, beef, occasionally liver.

My basic belief is if we eat our food as close to nature as possible we would all be a lot healthier. There are way too many processed "quick" foods in the American diet. Blame it on long work hours and tired people when they get home.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:23 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
...the question is: Is this not expensive?

Approaching this in a practical sense.
If you cut out carbs, what do you replace it with without breaking the bank?
The money you save on beer, booze, bread and the rest... will buy a lot of fruit, veggies and proteins.
But even if eating WELL cost triple... it's the best money you'll ever spend.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:25 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times
I've lost about 15 pounds in a few months by increasing protein and reducing carbs. It was an accidental find really. Protein satisfies hunger, carbs do not.

However....I have very recently taken a liking to frying potatoes in coconut oil with onions. Seems like my pants are starting to fall off a little. Perhaps they need to be washed...which tightens them back up a bit?

Old 01-01-2017, 01:26 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
For those who bellyache about the cost of protein, here are the 4 cheapest sources of protein:

Eggs
Cottage cheese
Tuna
Burgers

Eat these with all the leafy greens you want, some berries and melons, and lots of water. That's it.

No soda, "juice", alcohol, sports drinks, bread, cereal, pasta, grains or desserts. You got it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness