Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 12:39 AM

40 posts, read 77,733 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I'm 53 years old, 5'3" and weigh 285 pounds. I was just diagnosed with severe arthritis in both knees and told to lose weight, otherwise I would be in a wheelchair in two years

I know diet is extremely important, but I want to get stronger, more flexible and increase my stamina using a low-impact workout in less than 30 minutes/day. Can you suggest a workout program, video, or class that might suit me?

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 01:13 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I have been doing the Megaformer style classes for about 6 months now. They are typically 40-45 minutes and low impact. It helps with strength and a little bit with flexibility. A consequence for me has been more stamina as well. It would be tough without some basic familiarity of the typical body weight exercises.

https://www.lagreefitness.com

I find the classes hard but effective. I notice a difference everywhere and have found improved performance when doing other workouts. But I have been doing these most often over the past 6 months.

You are going to need to different types to hit all of your hot buttons. And starting with 20-30 minutes in a session is good, but you’ll probably want to up it to more.

I’d recommend starting with a “vinyasa” or flow style yoga class that focuses on sun salutations. You don’t want to start yoga with videos. Go to a class to learn the basic moves. This will help with strength and flexibility.

Do you have a bike? That is low impact and will help with stamina! Or walk.

Combine the yoga and walking or biking and you’ll be on your way.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:38 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,260,875 times
Most Yoga classes are 45 minutes-1 hour long. But after you learn your basics and get your posture correct you can buy 30 minute videos. Walking around is good for cardio. If you can swim even better.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:18 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Most Yoga classes are 45 minutes-1 hour long. But after you learn your basics and get your posture correct you can buy 30 minute videos. Walking around is good for cardio. If you can swim even better.
I think you have the best recommendation.

Small incremental progress should be your goal. Eating healthy is going to be more important. I think with your physical makeup, getting involved w/ others on the same mission might be a good way to go - or a trainer and dietitian to assist w/ a plan. 5'3" 285 lbs is a huge undertaking.

I was thinking aquacize type exercise. I see people in my community doing this - with a group or alone. Some do arm movements w/ resistance type gloves as well as leg movements. Some wear buoyancy belts and flotation barbells. Seems to be good for folks w/ joint problems. I also see a large number of them walking across the pool back and forth for 30-60 mins. Many of them or seniors who are overweight and are trying to do something for thieir situation. We're fortunate to have several pools indoors and outdoors here in our FL community.

Walking if you can tolerate would be one of your best bets. Its another fitness activity you see a lot of people doing where I live. Don't worry about speed or distance at first, work your way up. Make sure you have good comfortable walking shoes. I see you're in Arizona, so you'll have to do it in the wee hours of the morning to avoid heat - or find a fitness place w/ treadmill for you to use.

Beginner level rejuvenate yoga might be good for flexibility, core strengthening, toning - its the type of exercise that's easy to learn and do at your pace and ability.

Last edited by BucFan; 11-05-2017 at 03:27 AM..

Old 11-05-2017, 05:39 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNTgk_RnCno

Old 11-05-2017, 07:12 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I think you have the best recommendation.

Small incremental progress should be your goal. Eating healthy is going to be more important. I think with your physical makeup, getting involved w/ others on the same mission might be a good way to go - or a trainer and dietitian to assist w/ a plan. 5'3" 285 lbs is a huge undertaking.

I was thinking aquacize type exercise. I see people in my community doing this - with a group or alone. Some do arm movements w/ resistance type gloves as well as leg movements. Some wear buoyancy belts and flotation barbells. Seems to be good for folks w/ joint problems. I also see a large number of them walking across the pool back and forth for 30-60 mins. Many of them or seniors who are overweight and are trying to do something for thieir situation. We're fortunate to have several pools indoors and outdoors here in our FL community.

Walking if you can tolerate would be one of your best bets. Its another fitness activity you see a lot of people doing where I live. Don't worry about speed or distance at first, work your way up. Make sure you have good comfortable walking shoes. I see you're in Arizona, so you'll have to do it in the wee hours of the morning to avoid heat - or find a fitness place w/ treadmill for you to use.

Beginner level rejuvenate yoga might be good for flexibility, core strengthening, toning - its the type of exercise that's easy to learn and do at your pace and ability.
Good advice. My friend teaches Aqua Zumba, that is a good workout using water resistance. My personal feeling is yoga will be too hard at first carrying that much weight; more important to DROP WEIGHT first, get the strain off the knees. Gentle cycling is also good. If you can walk, that is one of the best exercises of all, and will strengthen your legs.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:31 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
I cringe at the thought of yoga for OP as well, but rejuvenation type is geared for those with various ailments, i think.

Biking is an outstanding idea.

For walking, find interesting areas that are scenic. Take some music or audio book to kill the time. It can get monotous.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:24 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
I cringe at the thought of yoga for OP as well, but rejuvenation type is geared for those with various ailments, i think.

For walking, find interesting areas that are scenic. Take some music or audio book to kill the time. It can get monotous.
Yes - don't think you have to walk the same route in your neighborhood - especially when starting out the shorter distance will seem even more boring. Drive to different parks/walking trails to keep it more interesting.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:

For yoga, it depends on the teacher - many have experience with larger bodies and will recommend good modifications. We don't know hiw much body awareness the OP has and their history with exercise.

There are yogis like Jessamyn Stanley who successfully practice advanced yoga and remain heavy.
Jessamyn Stanley

Yoga isn't great for weight loss, but I find it has loads of benefits to help you build a foundation for other stuff.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:28 PM

40 posts, read 77,733 times
Unfortunately, I don't know how to swim and am terrified of the water so any aqua aerobics are definitely out. I haven't been on a bicycle since God was a baby in Pampers so I'm not sure I even know to balance much less ride a bike. However, I do like walking and even hiking, but thought I should cool it since my arthritis diagnosis.

Should I try walking for short amounts of time to rebuild my stamina and knee strength then worrry about strength training and flexibility?

Believe it or not....I used to do crossfit before I lost my job and I loved it. They made modifications for my weight and right shoulder injury, but I really got a kick of using medicine balls and kettlebells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness