Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 08:28 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,585,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
"rolleyes" all you want. She is a drill instructor at Paris Island. 100 pushups are NO problem! In any event, believe what you want. How many can you do? 3?
I don't waste time doing push ups. I'm too busy doing real exercises likes squats and deadlifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 08:31 PM

19,072 posts, read 14,010,044 times
Lots of big guys can’t do a high-rep movements. It’s ok. We all have to pick our battles I guess.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-01-2018, 08:52 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,585,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Lots of big guys can’t do a high-rep movements. It’s ok. We all have to pick our battles I guess.
Push ups are easy. I think pull ups are a much better exercise. I wouldn't be surprised if I could do 300 or 400 push ups in 10 minutes. Push ups don't build real upper body strength and muscle mass.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:10 PM

1,066 posts, read 631,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Push ups are easy. I think pull ups are a much better exercise. I wouldn't be surprised if I could do 300 or 400 push ups in 10 minutes. Push ups don't build real upper body strength and muscle mass.
Mass, not much maybe beginner mass like I had. Strength, I do believe so. Think about it, you are doing roughly 60% or 70% of your bodyweight as a bench, by doing different variants, you can work places all around your pecs and bis and traps back. neutral, diamonds, further out, isolation is key. Do them off bed. All those muscles help build overall strength for other exercises, isolation muscles that you cant really focus on with heavy weights on the bench easily. Do enough of them, like anything else. it will grow with sleep and food.

I pop out sets of 50, can do 100 straight if I went fast, but why? Break them down, go slow. Hold them at top, and go slow, hold them at bottom. Just like a pull up. I go up on a pull up, and hold, then I come down, and hang for 2-3 seconds, repeat. so my latts and all muscles contract.

I mainly do push ups to stretch my muscles that I work in the gym. I will not take away its benefits though. It definitely its healthy and great for you in any concept. Hypotrophy

And above, pull ups and dips in my opinion along with squat are like the GOAT of all exercises.

my pull up bar.

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 01-05-2019 at 05:12 PM..

Old 07-02-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I do pullups for reps much more often than pushups. Anyone who isn’t doing pullups is forfeiting the possibility for true functional strength.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-08-2018, 04:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,603,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Actually, doing real pushups fully down and fully up without cheating, and doing 100 of these, is NOT easy. Most people could not do it

A person in great cardio shape who never did pushups would not be able to do 30 strict pushups without great difficuly, let alone 100. A pushup is a specific type of exercise one has to practice for to become proficient. When I was in the military my best was something like 55 for the PT test.
55 is very good.

Think of it this way, how many reps can the average person do on a flat bench with 135? Probably nowhere near 100. The only difference is that you're laying on your back and pushing upwards instead of facing down and pressing down. I would guess an average 185 lb guy is pushing at least 100 lbs of weight on a full weight pushup.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:12 PM

I'm under 5 min now for 100 perfect pushups. Been doing this drill with each chest workout lately. It's ridiculously easy. I do a few sets of 20, then finish with sets of ten once my form is about to suffer.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:10 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,742,769 times
Quote:
They can be great for high volume assistance work though. I think you'd be surprised what you can get out of pushups once you factor in adding weight via weighted vests, loading plates on your back, doing other variants with added weight. However, note that weight vests are expensive and usually top out at 80 lbs or so (unless I'm mistaken), and you would need a partner to add plates on your back for pushups, so neither option is super convenient.

To me, pushups are more useful for athletic purposes rather than a primary goal of building muscle and strength. Like I said though, I think they can definitely help build mass, provided you have high enough volume. Bench press on the other hand makes it much easier to measure your strength progress over time, and there's so much literature on all the supplemental lifts that can help improve it. No need to reinvent the wheel, I say.

I think the best bodyweight alternative to bench press for mass/strength purposes is the parallel bar dip. It's easier to add lots of weight to that exercise than a pushup, and you can get brutally strong on the weighted dip. (for the record i'm still calling it a "bodyweight" movement here even though you're adding weight, because you're moving your body through space).

Old 07-13-2018, 03:50 AM

62 posts, read 49,128 times
You can do this if you can. Pushups really help to get in shape mostly in the upper part. First, try to complete 100 pushups without any clock. First, complete this and after that, you can work on your speed.

This is the way when I used to do the workout. Hope this may help you.

Thanks

Old 07-18-2018, 10:01 AM

93 posts, read 63,496 times
That's outstanding. Consider that one of the big work out fads going around right now is 100 push ups a day for 30 days.

You are way ahead of the game. IN all seriousness. Look at some of the results of doing nothing but 100 push ups a day for 30 days. The change is dramatic for those that have never exercised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness