Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,202 times

Advertisements

Hey, was doing some looking into low intensity programs and discovered this Beach Body program, but a lot of reviews on it are older. I guess it's a slightly older workout, but still popular.

Anyone here that used it that can speak to how it worked or didn't work to them? Or what you do now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 10:35 AM

112 posts, read 112,060 times
Never heard of it, looking into some reviews. Seems geared for women although men can do it as well.

EDIT: General consensus is that it's alright but expensive. Some people like http://pushpedalcrank.com/piyo-review/ mention alternatives you can try as well.

FYI, to the point about it being older - exercise doesn't really change, although diets do (like how Paleo has been almost entirely swapped out for Keto these days). If an older program is what works for you, use it!

Last edited by Naturebox; 06-30-2018 at 11:27 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 01:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
my wife was doing it for a while and was loving it. she stopped at some point, maybe a school year ending and then instead of starting it again started doing some kind of class called bar. now she is weak and pathetic and i told her she should get back to the piyo. i think she is looking to get back to it.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:47 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,434 times
I did it a few years ago and liked it okay, but unfortunately, there was a move that just killed my lower back, you roll out on our hands until you're in a plank position on the floor, do a few pushups and with your hands you push yourself back up to a standing position. I was in decent shape, but this move really killed my back the more I did this workout.

I've been doing planks which help my lower back.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:21 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,259,867 times
We have a Piyo class at the gym. I love it!

Old 07-10-2018, 09:27 AM

3,997 posts, read 5,012,780 times
I just ordered it yesterday. I should receive it in a couple of days and I'll post back here as I start the program. I also read older reviews but from what I can tell, it's supposed to be a decent low impact workout. I turn 51 tomorrow and I wanted to lean up, get moving and lose a few pounds without torturing myself at the gym. Because of the shorter daily program (between 25-45 minutes), I felt like I could stick with it.

I didn't buy any extras and I don't have any illusions, but I do like Chalene and I'm going to try it in earnest for the 60 days. The one thing that I liked (when reading reviews) was that people who had REALLY been into fitness and exercising said that this was a few gears down. I'm not interested in killing myself but getting more agile with movement and doing some cardio is important.

I'll let you know...

Old 07-11-2018, 06:01 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I just ordered it yesterday. I should receive it in a couple of days and I'll post back here as I start the program. I also read older reviews but from what I can tell, it's supposed to be a decent low impact workout. I turn 51 tomorrow and I wanted to lean up, get moving and lose a few pounds without torturing myself at the gym. Because of the shorter daily program (between 25-45 minutes), I felt like I could stick with it.

I didn't buy any extras and I don't have any illusions, but I do like Chalene and I'm going to try it in earnest for the 60 days. The one thing that I liked (when reading reviews) was that people who had REALLY been into fitness and exercising said that this was a few gears down. I'm not interested in killing myself but getting more agile with movement and doing some cardio is important.

I'll let you know...
I think this is kind of like Pilates/Yoga with more agility added in. I took it at my old gym and may start going back to it again in the winter. There was a high-intensity portion there with burpees that I cannot do due to my foot arthritis, but the rest of it is great. It has aspects of Pilates and yoga but it is more of a repetitive flow style designed to burn more calories. The one at my old gym is an hour and it’s a great workout. I just can’t handle really high impact workouts due to joint issues, so doing lower impact workouts like this one is a good choice. It is easy enough for me to modify 3 minutes out of an hour.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:45 AM

108 posts, read 56,515 times
Default PiYo Fan!

PiYo fan here! I've done the program a handful of times over the last few years and it's excellent if you're looking for something low intensity that won't get boring. If you're interested in checking it out, you can do a two week free trial for the VOD service and give it a shot: https://www.beachbody.com/product/fi...kout-videos.do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness