Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 04:17 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,326,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Do you have time to go to the bathroom and mop up between classes? Like, take a washcloth with soap, wash down your upper body and armpits, and reapply deodorant? It should be doable in about 5 minutes.
^^^This!
You can use a disposable wet wipes or even paper towel! Soap it up- rinse.
Neck, armpits- you will feel refreshed before your second class.
In addition try peroxide spray in a small brown bottle from Walmart after you used soap under your armpits? Then dry it well.
The advice about a proper detergent for gym clothing is spot on as well.
Most likely your clothes smell, not you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 08:03 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,061,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
Well the gym is real small to be honest. They have no showers, just one small restroom we all share. The thing is the class ends at lets say 7:30pm and the next class starts at 7:30 pm. Usually the people who decide to stay for the 2nd class, we just stay on the mats and the new members join us and we get into the warm up, stretches, ect. So taking an extra shirt, washcloth sounds like a good idea, but I dont see others doing that, and I am new lol....

Do I want to be that new guy that is switching shirts, pulling out a washcloth with soap, walking across the mats to get to the restroom and then back across the mats to the section were we store our gym bags, when we have no break in between the classes? lol probably not, but ill think about it. But if we had time in between classes that would work perfectly.

I've worked out for 90 minutes, then mowed the lawn in one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Mens...y&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Without any odor, it's the only shirt I've found that works.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:45 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Well the gym is real small to be honest. They have no showers, just one small restroom we all share. The thing is the class ends at lets say 7:30pm and the next class starts at 7:30 pm. Usually the people who decide to stay for the 2nd class, we just stay on the mats and the new members join us and we get into the warm up, stretches, ect. So taking an extra shirt, washcloth sounds like a good idea, but I dont see others doing that, and I am new lol....

Do I want to be that new guy that is switching shirts, pulling out a washcloth with soap, walking across the mats to get to the restroom and then back across the mats to the section were we store our gym bags, when we have no break in between the classes? lol probably not, but ill think about it. But if we had time in between classes that would work perfectly.
I think you're probably making more of an issue out of this than necessary.

If you use a shortcut like wipes you may end up smelling more offensive like a cloying artificial scent.

Being clean, changing shirts and wiping down with a gym towel in between ought to be fine.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:38 AM

6,468 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Quote:

If nobody else there worries, then why do you? Unless you see people wrinkling their noses when you get near or making comments or avoiding you, or unless everybody else goes and showers in between classes and you're the only one who doesn't, obviously it's not a worry in that gym/dojo... This sounds like a "when in Rome" thing to me.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:01 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
These or similar brands are good for wiping down your body when you can't shower.

Grab a ShowerPill Body Wipe! We've packed an entire shower in just one wipe using our proprietary cleansing & moisturizing formula, including aloe vera, vitamin E & witch hazel. Premium ingredients without all the bad stuff: no alcohol, parabens, sulfates or phthalates. Proven to kill 99.9% of germs. Removes dirt, sweat & body odor. Simply tear open one individually wrapped pouch and wipe down. Dries quickly without residue or a sticky feeling. Perfect for post-workout!
https://www.target.com/p/showerpill-...e/-/A-53692175

No time, no shower, no problem! Instantly cleanse & revitalize every inch of your skin with these oversized, super-soft, moist body wipes. with natural purifying Neem, Peppermint & Citrus, these shower sheets work instantly and smell amazing. Alcohol-free. Perfect for on-the-go cleansing, traveling, yoga, workout, surfing, hiking, camping, festival-going.
Scent: Citrus, peppermint

https://www.target.com/p/yuni-travel...e/-/A-75574797

Old 07-21-2019, 11:03 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Shower before you go. Use deodorant.
I'm impressed and appreciative that you are so considerate.
This.

I always shower before exercising with others, even if we have little/no contact (tennis, etc). It's more refreshing to sweat clean. Not get all wet with sweat over a dirty body.

I also think Birdie had a good idea with the shirt change. Change your top.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:09 AM

4,175 posts, read 2,574,561 times
It's not you that smells, it's your clothes. Even if they have been freshly washed, according to the links I provided. I know because I had the same problem. It's very common. And the new kind of sports detergent I got worked like a charm. Regular detergent doesn't work, and that article explains why. Try it, and see. What do you have to lose, besides the stench.

Here is a variety on Amazon. Read the reviews, and see what others have to say about them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=win+deter...nb_sb_ss_i_1_6

----------------------------------------------------------------

Old 07-23-2019, 06:51 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
If you wear clothes made out of synthetic high-performance fabrics they have a tendency to reek in short order because of the bacteria, and other crud in the fibers that don't come out with regular washing There is a special detergent that i used to buy at running, and sports stores that worked very well. It was a little expensive, but worth it. I think it was WIN, but there are other kinds that work just as well. They don't mask the smell, but get rid of the embedded stuff in your clothes. This link explains it well. And the second link is the search results in case you want to look into it more. Good luck.

https://www.popsci.com/smelly-gym-clothes/

https://www.google.com/search?q=synt...hrome&ie=UTF-8

----------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
It's not you that smells, it's your clothes. Even if they have been freshly washed, according to the links I provided. I know because I had the same problem. It's very common. And the new kind of sports detergent I got worked like a charm. Regular detergent doesn't work, and that article explains why. Try it, and see. What do you have to lose, besides the stench.

Here is a variety on Amazon. Read the reviews, and see what others have to say about them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=win+deter...nb_sb_ss_i_1_6

----------------------------------------------------------------
The above posts are on to something. DriFit (Wicking moisture) apparel needs to be washed with a different detergent.

I am using a detergent that targets DriFit fabric and it smells much better even during sweating. Also, DriFit Tee shirts need to dry a little after usage or else they will smell really bad.

Do you use a Gi or is this No Gi BBJ?

Old 07-23-2019, 07:07 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
You're working out, you're sweating. No one expects you to smell like a garden of roses.

That said, if you avoid synthetic fabrics, you'll be a lot better off. I am old school, I wear plain white cotton T shirts for exercise. They're cheap, if it's outdoors they reflect sun, and you can bleach them.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:12 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,902,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You're working out, you're sweating. No one expects you to smell like a garden of roses.

That said, if you avoid synthetic fabrics, you'll be a lot better off. I am old school, I wear plain white cotton T shirts for exercise. They're cheap, if it's outdoors they reflect sun, and you can bleach them.
Cotton is the worst thing to wear. Traps moisture next to the skin so that you run the risk of overheating AND the risk of hypothermia. Cotton kills.

If you want to wear something natural and old school, wear wool. A nice merino shirt is great to work out in. Unlike cotton, wool wicks moisture away from the skin like a synth fabric. Merino jerseys are great for cycling. Smartwool makes great wool running shirts. Bad news? Ain't cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness