Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 05:59 AM

9,452 posts, read 8,429,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Tabata is a way of "mixing it up".
Great. I've done that for decades. I don't need some trendy catch-phrase to summarize it, nor do I need anyone to sell me "tabata workouts" to get me to mix up my workouts, lol. It's all so silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 07:02 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,410,553 times
Quote:
Tabata is a way of "mixing it up".
I agree. I mix in kettlebells, kickboxing, walk, run, planks, and other cardio and strength training. I think you can get very creative with it as long as you keep your heart rate up.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,014,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Great. I've done that for decades. I don't need some trendy catch-phrase to summarize it, nor do I need anyone to sell me "tabata workouts" to get me to mix up my workouts, lol. It's all so silly.
Disagree. Fitness is about staying active, moving and keeping things from becoming monotonous. Cross training is a way to do it. People like myself do all kinds of cross training. Have results to show for it, including doing tabata.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Disagree. Fitness is about staying active, moving and keeping things from becoming monotonous. Cross training is a way to do it. People like myself do all kinds of cross training. Have results to show for it, including doing tabata.
Again, this has always been common knowledge. Mixing it up isn't some new or unique way of working out. This is marketing schpeel for folks who don't know any better and it's been proven time and time again that people will pay their hard earned money for trendy workout routines. But whatever, it's not my money!

Old 08-13-2019, 11:32 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,014,070 times
Quote:
Again, this has always been common knowledge. Mixing it up isn't some new or unique way of working out. This is marketing schpeel for folks who don't know any better and it's been proven time and time again that people will pay their hard earned money for trendy workout routines. But whatever, it's not my money!
Curious why you feel a need to pis all over a thread with your negativity? OP loves it. Others do too. HIIT has shown to burn calories faster. If you aren't into it, good for you. I don't pay a cent for Tabata. Its a way to get fit and not some trendy fad.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Curious why you feel a need to pis all over a thread with your negativity? OP loves it. Others do too. HIIT has shown to burn calories faster. If you aren't into it, good for you. I don't pay a cent for Tabata. Its a way to get fit and not some trendy fad.
Trying to educate people on working out is far from "pissing" on a thread and being negative. Sorry you don't agree; however, if you've been working out for any period of time and are at least somewhat educated on diet and exercise, you'll see that these catch phrases come and go. Labeling a workout as to mixing it up isn't new, nor unique and it certainly is trendy if it's suddenly being talked about.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:26 PM

28,343 posts, read 16,423,066 times
Quote:
I generally do not attempt any new workout fads. I lift weights and do cardio on my own and try and mix it up as often as possible. No need to do Tae Bo, Tabata, Krav Maga or whatever else the fitness industry throws my way. Burn calories is the only message I need.
Tabata isn't a fad, and it has nothing to do with "mixing it up" necessarily. It's a specific HIIT regimen invented by a Japanese doctor - specifically 20 seconds of work, 10 seconds of rest, 8 rounds. Use whatever movement you like: push-ups, squats, sprints, KB swings, box jumps, jumping jacks, sit-ups, anything you can think of.

...Tabata is a form of high-intensity interval training, more commonly known as HIIT. It was invented by Dr. Izumi Tabata in 1996. Tabata, along with a team of researchers from the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, was hired by the head coach of the Japanese speed skating team to assess the efficacy of their workout program.

During his research, Tabata divided the athletes into two groups and gave each group a different workout plan. Group A worked out with moderate intensity for 60 minutes, five days a week. Group B worked out at a high-intensity level four days a week for only 4 minutes and 20 seconds. Both groups were monitored over a six-week period. At the end of the study, they compared the VO2 max (maximal oxygen uptake) of the athletes in both groups and discovered the high-intensity training performed by Group B had a greater impact on both their aerobic and anaerobic systems. It was concluded that working out in four-minute high-intensity intervals was more beneficial than working out for 60 minutes at a moderate pace

Old 08-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Fascinating, lol. HIIT training is nothing new either.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:27 PM

28,343 posts, read 16,423,066 times
Quote:
Fascinating, lol. HIIT training is nothing new either.
Who said it was?

Other than you during your rants about "fads", I mean.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Who said it was?

Other than you during your rants about "fads", I mean.
Rants, facts.....semantics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness