Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 08:25 PM

1,754 posts, read 755,800 times

Advertisements

Anyone else do Tabata training when you don't have a lot of time to get your daily workout in? Or maybe you just need a change of pace from yoga, jogging, or aerobics?

It only takes 4 minutes. You pick any cardio like jumping rope....I just pick sprinting....and you go as fast and as hard as you can for 20 seconds.....then off for 10 seconds....then on as fast as you can for 20 seconds...then off for 10 seconds....you get the picture.....

8 intervals can be fit into 4 minutes.

As a psychological boost I run out one way for the first 4 intervals and then run back the way I came for the final 4. This does two things for me...it feels like a small victory at the halfway point as I run back towards home....and the second thing is it pushes me to keep sprinting hard on the way back, because I want to cover the same distance and can visually see if I am coming up short.

I really like it, I feel like my heart and lungs get a work out as well as my legs...not a bad quick work out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 09:39 PM

260 posts, read 129,652 times
Tabata is a great way to switch it up! I've tried several programs, but my favorite is a 20 minute Tabata core work-out with step-ups, scissor kicks, mountain climbers, et. HIIT gets your heart rate up steadily and burns fat, but the short increments and short rest periods to Tabata builds endurance. I like the variety.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:11 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
To be accurate it's not a sprint. Like any interval it's a metered effort you can sustain throughout. Using cycling as I have power data for it my max effort for 20 seconds is around 900 watts. There's absolutely no chance I could do a 20 second 900 watt effort, recover for 10 seconds, and then go do another 900 watt 20 second effort. Someone else might be able to but that's only because 900 watts is not their 20 second full effort. I'd have to experiment but I'd probably start around 450 watts and see how it goes. It takes some experimenting as you neither want to sandbag nor go out at 900 watts on the first interval and only be able to put out 350 on the last.

It really depends what you're targeting. Tabata is geared mostly at V02Max or maximal aerobic power, generally five minute effort. If I wanted to target anaerobic 1 minute development, I would not do Tabata intervals. There's not enough recovery to go hard enough to see a large anaerobic improvement with Tabata, but then that's also not really what Tabata aims at improving. It's a repeated effort drill and not a sprint drill.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:04 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
Any good apps - timers, etc that you can recommend?

Old 08-02-2019, 08:59 AM

108 posts, read 56,629 times
I'm a huge fan of Tabata training because of it's effectiveness and efficiency: https://www.openfit.com/what-is-tabata-training

Having kids and a full-time job makes it really hard to go to the gym and workout because of how busy my schedule is. Between driving to and from the gym, and spending at least an hour there, it's impossible for me to get a good workout. Tabata training can take as little as 4 minutes so there are no excuses to not work out. Tabata follows a cadence of 20 seconds of exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest or low-intensity recovery, which is repeated 8 times. Though it doesn't seem like a lot, I'm dripping in sweat and out of breath after 1 cycle.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:33 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Any good apps - timers, etc that you can recommend?
I have Tabata Stopwatch on my iPhone. It’s free but you can upgrade to Pro. You can set your interval, rest and recovery times. I think with Pro you can add music to your workout.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:41 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,916 times
I love tabata. I like to do a whole lot of everything, so I’ve customized my workouts to include kettlebells, as well as the standard cardio moves, like high knees and mountain climbers.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I have Tabata Stopwatch on my iPhone. It’s free but you can upgrade to Pro. You can set your interval, rest and recovery times. I think with Pro you can add music to your workout.
yes, music helps get through the agony - I've added a basic/free one but will look into the upgrade.....right now I'm depending on a couple of Tabata classes at my fitness center. For some reason, agony in a group is easier to take - same goes w/ boot camp classes.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:58 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
I generally do not attempt any new workout fads. I lift weights and do cardio on my own and try and mix it up as often as possible. No need to do Tae Bo, Tabata, Krav Maga or whatever else the fitness industry throws my way. Burn calories is the only message I need.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I generally do not attempt any new workout fads. I lift weights and do cardio on my own and try and mix it up as often as possible. No need to do Tae Bo, Tabata, Krav Maga or whatever else the fitness industry throws my way. Burn calories is the only message I need.
Tabata is a way of "mixing it up".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness