Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 07:59 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,428,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Rants, facts.....semantics.

No, just rants.

Tabata isn't a "fad", it is a scientifically backed exercise modality. It's not "trendy" and no one is "selling" tabata workouts - the information is out there and available for free. No one claimed it was "new", either, that I can tell - aside from you.

You said that you "lift weights and do cardio on my own and try and mix it up as often as possible", right? Nothing that you currently do is at odds with the tabata methodology, so I'm not sure why you're so hell-bent on being negative in this thread.

Have a great weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 08:49 AM

21,922 posts, read 25,257,062 times
It is sort of like keto. Keto isn't a fad and is a fad. Keto is an old diet developed to control epilepsy back before the existence of anticonvulsants. Nowadays it is also a fad diet that is used for weight loss, generally allowing around double to carbs and double or more the protein of a real keto diet.

I did a spin class that did a Tabata interval segment consisting of one minute on, two minutes off. That's just an interval and has nothing to do with Tabata but it's a fad for some reason today to call any type of interval training Tabata.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:51 AM

9,452 posts, read 8,433,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No, just rants.

Tabata isn't a "fad", it is a scientifically backed exercise modality. It's not "trendy" and no one is "selling" tabata workouts - the information is out there and available for free. No one claimed it was "new", either, that I can tell - aside from you.

You said that you "lift weights and do cardio on my own and try and mix it up as often as possible", right? Nothing that you currently do is at odds with the tabata methodology, so I'm not sure why you're so hell-bent on being negative in this thread.

Have a great weekend.

What I find most amusing is when someone actually gets UPSET that we aren't buying into one of these fads, lol!!

I have a new workout too, it's called "Florida2014ing". It involves contrasting heavy weights/low reps and light weights/high reps. I came up with it and will be selling videos and workout programs to the public in 2020.

Oh wait, THAT has been around for a hundred years too.

Sigh.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:09 AM

260 posts, read 130,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It is sort of like keto. Keto isn't a fad and is a fad. Keto is an old diet developed to control epilepsy back before the existence of anticonvulsants. Nowadays it is also a fad diet that is used for weight loss, generally allowing around double to carbs and double or more the protein of a real keto diet.

I did a spin class that did a Tabata interval segment consisting of one minute on, two minutes off. That's just an interval and has nothing to do with Tabata but it's a fad for some reason today to call any type of interval training Tabata.
When it comes to diet and nutrition, overall moderation and healthy eating long-term wins over a short burst of fad dieting for the average person. No one ever sticks to a "fad diet", but it's okay not to stick to any one routine for our excercise. It's better for our motivation if we don't, but the important thing is to get our bodies moving somehow!

Old 08-16-2019, 12:38 PM

9,452 posts, read 8,433,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allison7 View Post
When it comes to diet and nutrition, overall moderation and healthy eating long-term wins over a short burst of fad dieting for the average person. No one ever sticks to a "fad diet", but it's okay not to stick to any one routine for our excercise. It's better for our motivation if we don't, but the important thing is to get our bodies moving somehow!
Absolutely! And this same premise holds true for workout routines as well. It's why no one is doing Tae Bo or Body by Jake any longer.

Eat healthy. Move regularly - walk/run/bike. Strength train and try and alter your workouts regularly. It's not rocket science and I definitely don't need some Japanese scientist to tell me what I already knew.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:48 PM

260 posts, read 130,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Absolutely! And this same premise holds true for workout routines as well. It's why no one is doing Tae Bo or Body by Jake any longer.

Eat healthy. Move regularly - walk/run/bike. Strength train and try and alter your workouts regularly. It's not rocket science and I definitely don't need some Japanese scientist to tell me what I already knew.
You misunderstood me. I support changing it up when it comes to exercise, and I do that all the time. I don't support fad diets. It combats boredom to add variety in how you move, but running is still my #1 go-to cardio.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:40 PM

28,343 posts, read 16,428,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

1:2 work:rest isn't Tabata, though. That's a spin instructor just making crap up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness