Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 07:40 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

I am 50 with some joint issues and very weak right now. I have started
walking and want to ease into strength training. I wondered about
carrying light weights when I walk and starting that way.
Or should I go with a beginner DVD? Does anybody have advice ?
Most of the routines I have seen are for young/strong types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 08:42 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,405 times
When you say that you are weak are you referring to being weak as in weak from an illness, or just generally weak as in untrained? I ask because if you have specific ailments that are keeping you weak then you ought to check with your doctor or physical therapist first. If you mean that you think you are weak because you've never done strength training, then you can certainly do things to gain strength. I don't know what DVD you are referring to and if the information on it is worth following.

Do you have access to a gym or are you planning on working out at home?

Old 05-24-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
When you say that you are weak are you referring to being weak as in weak from an illness, or just generally weak as in untrained? I ask because if you have specific ailments that are keeping you weak then you ought to check with your doctor or physical therapist first. If you mean that you think you are weak because you've never done strength training, then you can certainly do things to gain strength. I don't know what DVD you are referring to and if the information on it is worth following.

Do you have access to a gym or are you planning on working out at home?
I just seem to have lost a ton of muscle in the last 5 years,so things that
used to be easy to lift (50 pounds of dog food) are hard now. I don't have a
DVD in mind/are there beginner ones? I have a YMCA membership that I need to use or get rid of because my kids don't use it anymore. For walking I prefer outdoors to the treadmill.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I just seem to have lost a ton of muscle in the last 5 years,so things that
used to be easy to lift (50 pounds of dog food) are hard now. I don't have a
DVD in mind/are there beginner ones? I have a YMCA membership that I need to use or get rid of because my kids don't use it anymore. For walking I prefer outdoors to the treadmill.
Ah, I see.

I wouldn't waste time with dvds. The Y is a great place to workout.

What is your typical diet like?

For strength I would do exercises with free weights, bodyweight, etc. there are many wonderful movements that will ensure that as you go through life you will maintain strength and remain vibrant.

Since you are starting out, I would recommend that you follow a few simple movements and it will be a single day's workout which you will do every other day (or every two days). To keep it interesting I will suggest two different setups for different days and you can alternate them so you don't get bored.

If you are unfamiliar with any of these movements, just say so and I'll point you in the right direction to see the videos and explanations of how they are performed (which is why I said no need for any dvds... they're a waste of money).

Workout A
Romanian Deadlifts
Walking Lunges (with a weight bar on your shoulders)
Low Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
Self-Assisted Pullups (or Chinups) on the Smith Machine
T-Bar Rows
Standing Dumbbell Arnold Shoulder Press
Plank
Stretches

Workout B
Goblet Squats
Hyperextensions
One Arm Dumbbell Rows
Assisted Dips
Lateral Raises
Face Pulls
Prayer Crunches
Stretches

Are you familiar with the above exercises? Should I go into more detail? I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information in one post.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:19 PM

Thank you so much. You sound very knowledgable. I can look up the exercises
I am not sure of. So I do "A" then 2 days later do "B" the 2 days later back to "A".
Last week I started walking in the mornings for 1 hour and I can already tell that I feel better.
As for my diet I am following the weight watchers flex diet but even before that
I ate pretty healthy without much "white" foods /fatty foods/fried/ or full fat dairy.
I am 148 and would like to get back to 132.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much. You sound very knowledgable. I can look up the exercises
I am not sure of. So I do "A" then 2 days later do "B" the 2 days later back to "A".
Last week I started walking in the mornings for 1 hour and I can already tell that I feel better.
As for my diet I am following the weight watchers flex diet but even before that
I ate pretty healthy without much "white" foods /fatty foods/fried/ or full fat dairy.
I am 148 and would like to get back to 132.
Good, glad to know that eating well is not foreign to you.

For each exercise I would say do a light warm up set, then do 3 sets of 8-12 repetitions. At first keep all weight really light, just get used to the movement. Once you're confident (give yourself a couple of weeks), start increasing weights.

Here is a fantastic source for exercises and little videos about how to do them: ExRx.net Exercise & Muscle Directory

Now, some of the movements you may not easily find, such as the self-assisted smith machine pullup. It's usually difficult for novices to do a pullup, and when you find the Smith Machine, for example, you can set the bar so it's at about your shoulder level and do pullups on that, helping yourself up with your feet as you need assistance.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:15 AM

I spent alot of time on that site ... Love it..
Thank you ....and I will post my progress.
In addition to the exercises you gave me ,
do you think usng light weights while I walk will
help at all or should I just keep my walking
separate?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I spent alot of time on that site ... Love it..
Thank you ....and I will post my progress.
In addition to the exercises you gave me ,
do you think usng light weights while I walk will
help at all or should I just keep my walking
separate?
It'll help, sure. It'll make cardio a bit more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness