Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 03:13 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times

Advertisements

The in-laws are visiting, and she commented to me on how I need to "be careful running because it's so hard on your body!" ...and that it can cause internal bleeding because of "all your organs sloshing around" when you run.

I tried to explain to her that humans and biologically made to run, and that unless you have a preexisting issue...running is beneficial, not harmful...but my efforts were futile.

I swear, I love this woman, but she drives me NUTS sometimes.

I just needed to vent, thanks C-D!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 05:26 PM

65 posts, read 282,856 times
My sympathies. I know what you are going through coz my MIL says the exact same thing. She even adds that one of these days, I will have a heart attack and drop dead after my run
Nothing much we can do but ignore it, I guess

Old 09-26-2009, 05:28 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
But did she tell you that you will get arthritis? That much IS true.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:45 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
But did she tell you that you will get arthritis? That much IS true.
Well... not really, actually. It's been shown that's a fallacy.

People with healthy joints already can actually benefit and strengthen muscles with high impact exercises such as running. If you are already arthritic, than yeah... they may want to choose something a bit lower impact because running could exasperate the condition.

Stretching and "resting" muscles are important when being a runner to avoid injury. Also, people that are overweight are more at risk for injury.

In the long run, though, it's been shown that in people who are normal weight and have healthy joints, running does not cause arthritis. Arthritis has been shown to be something that is more or less congenital--and although it can be aggravated by high-impact exercises, it is not caused by them.

Furthermore, if I ever did begin to have issues with my joints--I would switch to something lower impact. However, I am a normal weight mid-twenties female--so at the moment I am enjoying my runs.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:57 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
LOLOLOLOL! Kind of like the notion that you should never start lifting weights, since doing so will make you a slave to lifting weights because if you ever stop, all that muscle will turn to fat. But this one is even more humorous. Almost sounds like something from a tabloid magazine. I can see the headline: WOMAN BURSTS OPEN INSIDE FROM TOO MUCH RUNNING! Yep, straight off the supermarket checkout racks.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:46 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Mothers-in-law are notorious for spreading misinformation.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:02 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
She seems worried that you are going to get thin or something.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:52 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Tell her NOT to run! And then, go running, to get away from her!

Old 12-12-2009, 02:08 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
The in-laws are visiting, and she commented to me on how I need to "be careful running because it's so hard on your body!" ...and that it can cause internal bleeding because of "all your organs sloshing around" when you run.

I tried to explain to her that humans and biologically made to run, and that unless you have a preexisting issue...running is beneficial, not harmful...but my efforts were futile.

I swear, I love this woman, but she drives me NUTS sometimes.

I just needed to vent, thanks C-D!

Ahh, the life of us runners and joggers (and the myths that the non-runners put on us. What a life, huh?).

Trust me, I've been running/jogging since I was 12 years old (used to run competitively for 10 years; 1985-1995), there's no sloshing around of your organs or anything like that when you run.

The only time it's really hard on the body is if you already have a preexisting condition, you haven't ran in a long time, and/or just starting to run or jog. Those are the only reasons why running and jogging can be hard on your body. But if you're pretty avid with it, you shouldn't have any problems, whatsoever (or any major problems that is with it).

Old 12-12-2009, 02:10 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
She seems worried that you are going to get thin or something.

Not all avid runners and joggers are thin. I'm not. I'm curvy and athletic, and been running since I was 12 (size 8). You don't have to be super thin to run a 5K or 10K. That's for sure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness