Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:40 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,339,102 times

Advertisements

So does anyone on here get complimented on their looks from their parents on a regular basis as an adult or at all. I don't. Isn't every parent supposed to think that their child is beautiful?
How about as a kid? Did you parents compliment your looks or criticize them?

I know this post is superficial but it is the fashion and beauty forum so....
Anyways just curious.

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-30-2010 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,313,730 times
My parents, grandparents, and siblings always told me from a very young age that I am ugly. Now they keep ragging on everything from hair to skin to shoes. This is because they are Asian, and thus hypercritical. I've stopped caring what people think because of this. I am kind of glad actually... (Note: Had side jobs modeling in my 20s to support myself, so I can't be all that hideous.)

A funny side effect of this upbringing is that I get annoyed when people tell me I look good. I think they are lying or are trying to kiss my ass.

On the other hand, when people tell me I look crappy, I think they are jealous.

I think the best thing would be if parents neither complimented nor criticized their kids on looks, but rather instilled confidence in other ways.

Last edited by miyu; 08-30-2010 at 04:18 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Quote:
So does anyone on here get complimented on their looks from their parents on a regular basis as an adult or at all
Nope.

Quote:
Isn't every parent supposed to think that their child is beautiful?
Nope.

Quote:
How about as a kid? Did you parents compliment your looks or criticize them?
Criticism day in and day out. Around middle school I realized that my parents weren't going to compliment me no matter what I wore, so I stopped wearing the crap they thought was good and wore what I wanted.

I do get compliments from random strangers. The gate guards at the naval station frequently compliment my hair color for being flaming red with bits of orange, black, and a wine color streaked and mixed throughout.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:15 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Mama brags about her son ALL the time, in every freaking place That's what happens when women give birth to total studs

Old 08-31-2010, 01:20 AM

609 posts, read 1,260,654 times
my mom always tells me i have beautiful eyes...she didnt always feel that way lol. she used to say that green eyes gave her the creeps, but somewhere along the way she warmed up to green eyes and compliments mine all the time. shes also really jealous of my hair...whenever im around her she plays with my hair and says 'this is my hair color!' lol...she loves it...but then i look at hers, and if i have the color she had when she was my age...then im gonna have the color she has when im her age...and that kinda sucks lol. but yeah...those are really the only compliments i get from my parents. just from my mom.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:07 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,769 times
My parents always told me I was ugly, especially my mother. She was brutal. She wasn't like that with my sister. I suppose I've carried that with me into adulthood. When someone compliments me, I think they're either lying or making fun of me somehow.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,405,624 times
My parents always told me and my sister that we were beautiful (they didn't over do it with the praise), but they also gave us a lot of encouragement and positive reinforcement in many other ways. Our looks and appearance weren't the be-all end-all, but they made it clear (still do) that they were proud of us.

I know I tell my daughter she's beautiful and my son he's handsome, but like my parents, their behavior is what makes me proud.

Beautiful adults and children with rotten behavior/personalities can turn ugly real quick.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,433,432 times
My mom would tell me when I was lookin' good. Daddy always thought I was beautiful - that was a great gift that I never realized was a gift.
It was nice...now they're gone.
My husband never compliments me, nor notices anything new. Sometimes that's a blessing!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:22 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,737,804 times
My mom still compliments me regularly. I tell my daughter how beautiful she is on a regular basis, too, and I always will. Of course, she is only 3 1/2 months old, but she gives good smiles when I sing to her, "You are sooo bee-yoo-tee-ful, tooo meee..."

Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,339,102 times
Mine points out how good looking other people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty