Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:16 PM

54 posts, read 60,816 times

Advertisements

Maybe I dont see it, but I need to lose a few pounds, and even I dont see how its offensive.

Ive always said to my family and friend that if anything jiggles on their body they need to workout or lose some weight. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 07:27 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I don't know about offensive ~ but it's just annoying. I can't stand that song! Ugh; and now I won't be able to get it out of my head.

I don't know any grown-ups that shop at Old Navy. I always took my son there when he was a kid because their t-shirts, etc., were really cheap.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:29 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Heh and when I saw it, I thought it was a clever advertising satire. Y'know, a bunch of white upper-class goody-two-shoes trying to show they got "rhythm" and add a little "ghetto" to their culture, but failing hillariously.

Sort of like when I try to rap at work. A 50-year-old slightly pudgy white girl, rapping at work...I do it -because- it looks so dorky and the kids I work with get a kick out of it.

I just assumed that commercial was along those lines of silliness.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:48 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
They do have them in stores. The one near me does anyway.
Oooh thanks! I will have to go check. Last time I was in an Old Navy, they didn't carry any women's plus sizes, but they've had them on their website for a long time.

Lately I have been looking for something to wear while cycling in cold weather and all I've seen in my size are sweatpants, which aren't comfortable for long distances.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:09 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityO View Post
Maybe I dont see it, but I need to lose a few pounds, and even I dont see how its offensive.

Ive always said to my family and friend that if anything jiggles on their body they need to workout or lose some weight. :/
Maybe on a mans body......

Old 10-27-2011, 07:12 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
P.S. How can the PC crowd take offense to this when there are the Pedo-Crombie ads and the the sweats for 11yo girls that say juicy etc. on the butt?

Several girls at my kids jr. high are already dressing like they are hustling for extra tips at Hooters....and are sexually active. Nice.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:26 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
P.S. How can the PC crowd take offense to this when there are the Pedo-Crombie ads and the the sweats for 11yo girls that say juicy etc. on the butt?

Several girls at my kids jr. high are already dressing like they are hustling for extra tips at Hooters....and are sexually active. Nice.
Putting aside the weird assumption that there's some monolithic "PC crowd" who agrees on everything, you know that it's possible to object to more than one thing, right?

Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 AM

466 posts, read 815,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Oooh thanks! I will have to go check. Last time I was in an Old Navy, they didn't carry any women's plus sizes, but they've had them on their website for a long time.
I'm pretty sure Old Navy doesn't have plus sizes in stores. The OP might be referring to the XXL and 18-20 sizes, which are part of their straight sizes. I occasionally see true plus sizes in the clearance section, but I figure those are just online returns.

As for the commercial, I'm in the XXL size range myself, so clearly I jiggle. LOL But I didn't even think to be offended. But I read on another board yesterday that someone and apparently many of their friends have planned to stop shopping at Old Navy over this ad. Umm, OK.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Of this I realize. Doesn't stop some people from seeing this as being offensive to overweight persons - hence the PC reference.
Speaking from experience in my heavier days, people who are working to lose weight don't want to jiggle while they're working out anymore than more slender people do. I DESPISED running when I was heavier, not because of the appearance of jiggling (which people also hate), but because it wasn't physically comfortable to be jiggling. Compression gear was really helpful for that while I worked on losing the weight.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
I'm pretty sure Old Navy doesn't have plus sizes in stores. The OP might be referring to the XXL and 18-20 sizes, which are part of their straight sizes. I occasionally see true plus sizes in the clearance section, but I figure those are just online returns.
They used to carry actual plus sizes in the store, then went to exclusively online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty