Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Thanks for the positive, constructive comments!

I like to take pride in my appearance. I wear a full face of makeup everywhere, I get my nails done every five days, I'm a vegetarian, limit fried foods and calories, I style my hair regularly, sometimes I like to switch up hair color or eye color...I don't think this makes me vain or insecure. It's fun, and one of the few things one has control over in life. I don't see what the big deal is.
You are beautiful! That being said . . . we all have things we feel could be improved . . . many people would never have cosmetic surgery b/c it is expensive, or possibly painful, or they just don't think it is worth the effort for the outcome, if the "flaw" is something that isn't very noticeable.

And some people are just dead set against changing anything about themselves if it involves surgery - but that is their opinion and their business, just like your decision is none of their business, lol.

But if you feel that you would like the way you look better with a change, and you can afford it and dont' mind the pain and recuperation . . . go consult with a doc and see what he/she has to say! You already know what you want cause you have a real life example of it in your twin sister. So I would think a good doc could take a look at your sister and figure out if the results are attainable.

I had a dear friend who had a rhinoplasty in her mid 50s. She looked fantastic and it really did make a very big difference in her appearance. She told me that she had only one regret - that she hadn't done it 30 years earlier.

So do what you feel is right for you, even if the rest of us think you are gorgeous just the way you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 06:05 PM

830 posts, read 1,729,891 times
I don't know if this has much to do with race or not. If you do this, you will be like many many people in our society. So by society's standards, this is a totally fine action. However, I do think it's very sad that so many feel the need to change themselves when they are already fine. I find our culture's constant need to fight against what we were born with (like through nose jobs) and against the natural aging process (like botox and other anti-aging cosmetic interventions) to be very unfortunate. And all this pressure unfairly is put on women. We are not allowed to be who we are.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
My thoughts are, once you've made the concious decision to go through with the surgery (you've been planning this for 5 years), then it shouldn't matter what someone else thinks about your motives. If they want to think it's because you hate your own race or you're trying to be white, then who needs them? Plenty of whites get cosmetic surgery, they aren't trying to be more white. They just want a tighter face, smaller nose, bigger boobs etc. What about the white women who get their lips enhanced and bake themselves under tanning beds? Are they trying to be black? I doubt it, they just prefer a certain look.

My bigger question would be, where does it end xxbabeechick? After the nose job, there will be some other minor imperfection you can't live with, especially as you get older. All too often I see stunningly beautiful women sabotage their own beauty with unnecessary surgery because they weren't happy with minor imperfections or couldn't put more stock into the positive feedback they received from others. Look at Latoya Jackson, she was so beautiful prior to her surgeries, now she looks freakish. I'm not saying you'll go to those extremes, but when do you reach a point where you are content with your appearance? Where's the goal line, when you do spike the ball and say "Ah, this is it!"?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
The OP didn't seem to respond to people who said she was fine, so I assume she hasn't changed her mind. I just really hope she's happy with the result, because I can't see how surgery can make her look any better.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:59 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,307,370 times
Thanks for the kind comments guys...

I don't want to fix a ton of things. Just the nose. I don't have body dysmorphic disorder or anything.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
I think you are beautiful as you are, but I am NOT AT ALL ANTI -PLASTIC SURGERY! If you feel that way I'd do it! We only live once - so make yourself happy!

I never thought a small nose bridge was a black trait BTW, I always associated it with the Irish, Scottish, and a certain type of English. I have seem way flatter bridges on my sister's in laws for example. I see what bothers you. I understand what to mean. I have a kind of childish nose.
The kind a lot of people liked in HS in the seventies - pert, and not much of a bridge either. I have been thinking about building it up with filler.

My only suggestion: if you ever decide to pole your friends, don't. Just do it and as don't say a word!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM

10,949 posts, read 1,308,899 times
Quote:
Soliciting opinions. If you are generally anti-plastic surgery, what you have to say carries a lot less weight in this discussion.

For about 5 years I've been trying to sock away money for a nose job. I am a black female living in New York City. My father is from the Commonwealth of Dominica and my mother is African-American. I don't like to think of myself as particularly vain, but I'd like to look the very best that I can. I want a higher nose bridge. I have no problem with the width of my nose, the size of my nostrils, or the shape of the bulbous lower portion of my nose. I simply want my nose bridge raised.

I've discussed this with people I've dated and people I've been close to (who are mostly white) and I get reactions ranging from shock ("Why would you do something like that?") to the worst reaction of all: "Do you want to look white?"

The answer as far as I can discern is no, I don't want to be white, and I have a great life. My twin sister has a higher nose bridge than I do (we are fraternal twins) and I want her nose bridge. I don't see how that's wanting to be European.

(Just as a note: the profile photo I have is not greatly descriptive of my lack of nose bridge since my face is at an angle)

Of course, there's always the argument that black people in Western culture have internalized Western standards of beauty, but that's a statement that stops the discussion dead in its tracks as it's impossible to abstract yourself from society. Entirely circular, not that the point doesn't have any merit.

Thoughts?
I looked at your profile picture and you look very pretty but if it makes you happy go for it.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:32 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Haha I used to think mine was low. Now I don't think it's THAT bad. But when you get hung up about something...you think you're a freak. So I can laugh about it. I'm sorry if you have a 'low nose bridge' yourself.

I've been extremely dissatisfied with other features as well and have felt the way the OP has so I know what she's going through. I guess once you stop thinking about it it doesn't seem that important anymore. Sometimes you realise it's actually not as bad as you think it is.
You don't need to feel sorry for me. What the heck is your problem?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:37 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,777 times
Quote:
Soliciting opinions. If you are generally anti-plastic surgery, what you have to say carries a lot less weight in this discussion.

For about 5 years I've been trying to sock away money for a nose job. I am a black female living in New York City. My father is from the Commonwealth of Dominica and my mother is African-American. I don't like to think of myself as particularly vain, but I'd like to look the very best that I can. I want a higher nose bridge. I have no problem with the width of my nose, the size of my nostrils, or the shape of the bulbous lower portion of my nose. I simply want my nose bridge raised.

I've discussed this with people I've dated and people I've been close to (who are mostly white) and I get reactions ranging from shock ("Why would you do something like that?") to the worst reaction of all: "Do you want to look white?"

The answer as far as I can discern is no, I don't want to be white, and I have a great life. My twin sister has a higher nose bridge than I do (we are fraternal twins) and I want her nose bridge. I don't see how that's wanting to be European.

(Just as a note: the profile photo I have is not greatly descriptive of my lack of nose bridge since my face is at an angle)

Of course, there's always the argument that black people in Western culture have internalized Western standards of beauty, but that's a statement that stops the discussion dead in its tracks as it's impossible to abstract yourself from society. Entirely circular, not that the point doesn't have any merit.

Thoughts?
I've seen your picture. There's absolutely nothing wrong with your nose. Save the money for something worthwhile. Next!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,307,370 times
Wow. Boy do things change in a few months. I'm going on a consult for rhinoplasty on the 9th of July and by the time I get it, it will be my 3rd cosmetic procedure.

I feel really blessed with all the opportunity I've been afforded this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty