Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:56 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times

Advertisements

The point that I would make is that you're stunningly beautiful as you are, as I've said in another thread, and that I for one would hate to see you risk that beauty on surgery that has the potential to go very wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 AM

517 posts, read 999,178 times
I don't like nose jobs... It's just my personal prefference....
my mom is indian mostly but is black (african american) her parents are from a small island in africa. Therefore I call myself african american. Anyhow she had a very huge nose. But when she got older she grew into the nose exceptionally well. I personally like my nose so I'd never consider it and people try to get my lips so I'd never want surgery for that. Maybe when I get older botox. My grandma has deep lines my mom has them slightly. I've considered breasts implants but I don't want that anymore though because too much harassment as it is. But I've considered butt implants that would I guess be an ethnic surgery. But I like my butt as is. I just think curves are cooler.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:40 AM

571 posts, read 1,201,074 times
You have the advantage of seeing how a higher bridge would look on you, by simply looking over at your sister. Sounds like you have been thinking about this for quite some time - it's obviously well thought out.

I strongly disagree that beauty standards are set by Caucasians - and that people are trying to look "white." Beauty ideals (love 'em or hate 'em) have been in place for thousands of years. In general, we know in females a coveted look is wide eyes, full lips, and features that aren't too strong (heavy jawline, thick brow ridge, etc., etc.) We could say high cheekbones are very desirable and in many cases, Native Americans score high on this one. The spray tan/self-tanner industry is huge - not sure how this would mean people are trying to be more "white."

BTW, I used to love experimenting with different haircolor when I was in college. At one point I dyed it a light brown w/blonde highlights. I had a couple of people ask me why I didn't wear my hair dark. They went on to say that I should be "proud" of being hispanic. I used to get annoyed that in order to prove that I was proud of my background, I didn't have the freedom of wearing my hair a different color. Whites, on the other hand, can curl their hair (w/out anyone accusing them of trying to be of a different ethnicity), they can color it, cut it - no limitations. Bleh, ridiculous mindset. I pay no attention now.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:16 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
I know we all have imperfections on our bodies that we would like to fix, but the thing about plastic surgery is that you can often tell when a person has had it. Celebrities you can often tell, and it makes them look worse than before, even though they were trying to look better. So it's better to just to stay looking natural rather than risk botching how you look already.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:19 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Lots of people get nose jobs. It's your face, your decision, not anyone else's.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:28 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Soliciting opinions. If you are generally anti-plastic surgery, what you have to say carries a lot less weight in this discussion.

For about 5 years I've been trying to sock away money for a nose job. I am a black female living in New York City. My father is from the Commonwealth of Dominica and my mother is African-American. I don't like to think of myself as particularly vain, but I'd like to look the very best that I can. I want a higher nose bridge. I have no problem with the width of my nose, the size of my nostrils, or the shape of the bulbous lower portion of my nose. I simply want my nose bridge raised.

I've discussed this with people I've dated and people I've been close to (who are mostly white) and I get reactions ranging from shock ("Why would you do something like that?") to the worst reaction of all: "Do you want to look white?"

The answer as far as I can discern is no, I don't want to be white, and I have a great life. My twin sister has a higher nose bridge than I do (we are fraternal twins) and I want her nose bridge. I don't see how that's wanting to be European.

(Just as a note: the profile photo I have is not greatly descriptive of my lack of nose bridge since my face is at an angle)

Of course, there's always the argument that black people in Western culture have internalized Western standards of beauty, but that's a statement that stops the discussion dead in its tracks as it's impossible to abstract yourself from society. Entirely circular, not that the point doesn't have any merit.

Thoughts?
Do you boo! You have to live with you 24/7, not anyone else! Sincerely NON-WHITE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty