Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:20 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
It does happen as I've experienced similar situations being "so tall", but for the most part, all the women who behaved or reacted that way towards me had a bit of booze in their system. (yes, women whom I don't know touch my body.)

Example, two weeks ago while out at a restaurant/upscale lounge, I became the discussion of the ladies room. One women was impressed with my height, wanted to know if I was a model, went on and on about how lucky I am. Then other women proceeded to get involved in the convo about me. It can be incredibly emarrassing even though the women only have good intentions. In fact, I dread going to the ladies room at crowded clubs & lounges because I just want to be left alone.

Again, I was stopped by a woman this past Thursday night while walking to the ladies room at a NYC restaurant.

In my case it has nothing to do with beauty, but my height and like the OP, I'm always shocked at how people feel the need to comment on it.
This happens to me ALL THE TIME. In fact, just last weekend I was at my favorite dive bar spending time with a few friends and the table next to us had an entire conversation about my boobs and my height. My friends joined in and I just sat there dumbstruck over it.

I've also been involved in the bathroom talks and have had people (mostly women) ask to motorboat me, ask to hug me, ask to touch me and those are the nice ones. Lately I've been dressing down (jeans, mens tshirts, sweatshirts and plain sneakers) when I go out because I'm just sick of being the center of attention when all I want is a cold beer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
It would get boring hearing the same comments over and over. You already know you are pretty so you don't need to hear it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I have been very plain in my life but seem to be having an EXTREMELY late blooming. When I go out I usually get a compliment or two on my appearance but some nights I get so many I actually get irritated, particularly if I go to a new venue with a new crowd.

I get complimented by men who (ironically) usually manage to do it in a flattering and polite way, by which I mean they say "you are pretty" and leave it at that. Women, however, seem to feel they have to compliment me, grab on to me, pull at my clothing, comment on my features, explain they are not gay, then say it all again.

At the end of the day, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and just because you judge someone to be beautiful, doesn't automatically mean you have to share that opinion with the recipient. Indeed, if they do appear to be "unusually" attractive, stop and consider they may get it OFTEN and may feel like a quiet night away from being judged to their face.

I don't say to people I judge as particularly plain, "oh my god, you have perfectly ugly lips! you look so dull! your eyes are so unattractive too....!" so why should I receive these judgements so often (even if they are intended to be compliments, it doesn't always feel very respectful), and be expected to be constantly grateful? I am always gracious, eg, say "thank you" with a smile and try to move on, but it is not always that easy, as admirers often follow, sharing their opinion of you all the while. I know I sound as vain as hell but this is a problem that can be quite intimidating if you attract the "wrong" sort of admirer.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:40 PM

Does OP have a picture here?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
I don't understand why any woman would ever got tired of compliments.......you do have to realize that eventually the frequency of them will diminish, and then you'd probably wish for the old days.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:53 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
.......you do have to realize that eventually the frequency of them will diminish, and then you'd probably wish for the old days.
A common one in LA is to tell some women which movie star they look like..."you look like Jaclyn Smith," or "you look like Sandra Bullock." Some people actually do look just some like existing movie stars. In fact, I was once reading a National Geographic article on LA where one of the pictures was about a company that found celebrity look-alikes, and showed several stars with their "doubles." Only in LA.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:11 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
I figure people feel as if they are being nice when they say these things.

I try to compliment others when I think they look nice BUT I have found myself becoming annoyed with compliments. I like to dress up when I leave the house (of course, dressed up is a matter of opinion) and I have get a lot of compliments on my clothing or just how I look. I can't ask for people to compliment me on my intellect or my modest achievements for a 21 year old BUT I'd much rather hear people tell me how smart I am vs "You are so beautiful."

I of course say "Thank you" when receiving a compliment but more than anything I wish it had never been said.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:12 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This happens to me ALL THE TIME. In fact, just last weekend I was at my favorite dive bar spending time with a few friends and the table next to us had an entire conversation about my boobs and my height. My friends joined in and I just sat there dumbstruck over it.

I've also been involved in the bathroom talks and have had people (mostly women) ask to motorboat me, ask to hug me, ask to touch me and those are the nice ones. Lately I've been dressing down (jeans, mens tshirts, sweatshirts and plain sneakers) when I go out because I'm just sick of being the center of attention when all I want is a cold beer!
I did this in high school and even then, I still got compliments. It's crazy!

Maybe I should go back to dressing in all black, painting my nails black, and wearing a choker.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM

It seems like women are complimenting women all the time.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
It seems like women are complimenting women all the time.
why not? too many women are hateful towards each other..its a nice change to see women being nice to each other, no?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
why not? too many women are hateful towards each other..its a nice change to see women being nice to each other, no?
I know. I don't see a reason to hate. Each individual is different. Its the less attractive girls that hate on good looking ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty