Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,429,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I think you're maybe thinking of a different brand than Diesel, which is basically the opposite end of the clothing spectrum from Fox or Carhartt. Trust me on this; I wear Diesel jeans almost exclusively, and their stores are on Fifth Avenue, Market Street, Rush Street, etc. It's a higher end brand.
Ok. I was just going off the top of my head, I don't know a lot about clothes brands. I thought it was thug kind of clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,627,095 times
Ever since the biz casual revolution in the mid to late 90's, professionals & other high-earners just don't feel the need to dress up anymore, especially 9-5. When was the last time you saw anyone dressed like they belonged on the set of Dynasty or Falcon Crest? Literally decades ago. Just go shopping at Saks or Barney's in Beverly Hills and you'll see that only small fraction of their clothes are dressy formal or semi-formal... everything else is the same boho casual wares you find at Nordstrom, Anthropologie, Zara, Express, just at a higher price point.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
Just curious because I do lots of driving for my job and come across different neighborhoods and envrionments. Whereas one side of town looks like they play golf all day long, the other looks like they've been constructing houses all day long.

Is it just me, or do people who earn more tend to dress differently than those who earn less?
It varies. You will see millionaires and billionaires who will have clothes from Walmart. There are people in high debt who wear high end clothes.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,708,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
It varies. You will see millionaires and billionaires who will have clothes from Walmart. There are people in high debt who wear high end clothes.
Ehh...I'm not so sure about "Walmart clothes". Most men I know who have accumulated wealth don't necessarily buy haute couture but by the same token, don't buy cheap clothing. There's a difference between quality clothing that is inexpensive and cheap clothing.

Walmart has CHEAP clothes that don't wear well, don't last, and is generally junk. I wear Wrangler jeans quite often and while they are inexpensive, Wrangler's are also very durable and well-made. High net-worth individuals will pay for timelessness and quality over all else which is what differs from the "$30K/ year millionaires" who are always wanting to buy the latest and greatest.

Of course there are many wealthy individuals who are into name brands just as there are many who are into having exotic cars, expensive watches, high-end electronics, etc etc.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,431,383 times
It depends more on my mood than income. I think plenty of people are that way too. Sometimes I can wear a baseball cap and sweats, nice Vera dress and heels, nice casual pants and jacket from Banana Republic or a very lazy short set from Target. For me it has little to do with what I can afford but more of the comfort, convience and mood.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,697,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Ok. I was just going off the top of my head, I don't know a lot about clothes brands. I thought it was thug kind of clothes.
Only in name

Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,137,801 times
Definitely.

Poor people also have a way of dressing. The styles worn at my county welfare office are distinctive enough to be immediately distinguishable from those worn at country clubs.

I'm actually looking at two wealthy members' C-D profile pictures, both women. I'd post them if it wasn't so snarky. They both are dressed in all black and have large bags, probably by a designer. Obviously, there are some rich people who dress down (and it could very well be that they came from a lower socioeconomic background), and some poor people who dress up (although they don't fool other rich people very often), but like books, you can usually tell "how much they cost" by the cover.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Ehh...I'm not so sure about "Walmart clothes". Most men I know who have accumulated wealth don't necessarily buy haute couture but by the same token, don't buy cheap clothing. There's a difference between quality clothing that is inexpensive and cheap clothing.

Walmart has CHEAP clothes that don't wear well, don't last, and is generally junk. I wear Wrangler jeans quite often and while they are inexpensive, Wrangler's are also very durable and well-made. High net-worth individuals will pay for timelessness and quality over all else which is what differs from the "$30K/ year millionaires" who are always wanting to buy the latest and greatest.

Of course there are many wealthy individuals who are into name brands just as there are many who are into having exotic cars, expensive watches, high-end electronics, etc etc.
Maybe not Walmart but maybe TJ Maxx. Generally higher income class are too busy with work and education. This depends on the net assets too and age. There are brand name clothing that are cheap in material. I also value my clothes so I keep them for a long time and stitch them up too.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 PM

You can take the boy/girl out of the farm, but you can't take the farm out of the boy/girl. Rich folks also donate clothes.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,987,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The Bay Area is weird (especially in the wealthy inner-eastern parts). Expensive homes and inexpensive cars are common. The Berkeley Hills has lots of subarus and older volvos. I live next to Piedmont. Typical cars are pretty common, and then mid-range luxury after that. More expensive cars (over $60K)? Not common at all. Average household income is about $250K-300K.

There are other places in the Bay Area (Peninsula and South Bay) where you will see status cars. Just not in my part.

This is the same thing in terms of fashion -- but this applies to most of the entire region. You can't bother assuming someone's wealth with their clothing around here. Rich people dress down a lot. The best you can probably assume is "clique." Berkeley rich people? Hardly dress at all. There is a lot of North Face/REI/Lululemon/casual clothes.
I tend to think NF and even REI are just as much about the name or store as a lot of others. Even the Subaru and older Volvo thing is a trend. It's being trendy while trying not to look like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty