Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 03:06 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times

Advertisements

Ladies do you or have you ever felt overlooked by men in favor of other women and do you feel that you are at a disadvantage because of your looks, age, personality or other qualities? And finally do you think men are unfair to women by doing that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 03:11 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I personally have never felt that way but I don't base my self esteem and self worth on what others think of me and I never have and it is very doubtful I ever will. Men and women both are being very shallow in my opinion when they go for physical attraction alone, the physical part of life last only so many years then it is gone no matter how much plastic surgery, youth creams or whatever else one might use. We start aging from the moment we are born and if you do not find someone who loves and wants you and is your best friend you will never find a lifetime partner.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:25 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
I don't feel overlooked at all...I guess sometimes I feel "looked over" too much by the wrong men but that's another story

Something that sometimes does bother me is that I'm very different than the "ideal" beauty in American film and media. Almost every leading lady in a romantic comedy is blonde All-American type. I'm swarthy Italian/Spanish/Jewish....people usually guess I'm Colombian or Italian.

I know I'm still attractive but there is certainly a shortage of authentically "exotic" attractive brunettes portrayed in American media. The closest thing we have is Megan Fox who is manufactured and not even naturally dark or brunette...there is Adriana Lima I suppose.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:01 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Ladies do you or have you ever felt overlooked by men in favor of other women and do you feel that you are at a disadvantage because of your looks, age, personality or other qualities? And finally do you think men are unfair to women by doing that?

Yes to all. I had to stop caring and give up on the idea of dating in order to get 'over' men not being attracted to certain women like myself. They think some women should just take whatever they can get and be happy they have a man. Yea right. There are simply some men and women in the world that are 'undesired' and 'undateable,' and that's all there is to it.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:35 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Of course! There's ALWAYS someone prettier, taller, shorter, better butt, better bust, better hair, better skin, etc. out there. And if there isn't right now, just wait a year and someone new steps in the scene. There are some unfortunate souls out there who never get the spotlight even for a little bit and don't meet someone who finds their lack of social nerve, verve or swerve endearing. And that's life, for good or ill. Pretty people get better treatment.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
If I, as a darker black woman waited around until my type of beauty was in style, I'd have the lowest self esteem ever. I work with what I have, and don't worry about what everyone else thinks.

Last edited by jade408; 06-21-2012 at 07:16 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
There is always competition and that goes for men too.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I feel that way sometimes, but it's not unfair because I do the same thing to men as well.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:16 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
If I, as a darker black woman waited around until my type of beauty was in style, I'd have the lowest self esteem ever. I work with what I have, and don't worry about what everyone else thinks.
Are you referring to, or actually mean that some people think that particular skin colours come in and out of "style"?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Are you referring to, or actually mean that some people think that particular skin colours come in and out of "style"?
They do. Tanned skin is in, but not dark dark. Don't ever mistake celebs like Beyonce as a celebration of true black beauty.

As to the previous poster about blondes and blue eyes...have you watched many rom coms lately? The blonde hair blue eye stereotype is outdated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty