Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 07:42 AM

706 posts, read 1,180,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Yes, I do base my level of attractiveness by society's standards. Everyone does it
Well then you're right...you'll never be pretty or beautiful if that's your mindset. And no, everyone does not do that.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:53 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
that is exactly what the statement is saying. read it again:

"as far as black women go, I have to say one of the most beautiful woman I have seen since moving to Boston was a half black half white woman who had bronze skin skin, was 5'8", and had golden highlights. It was magnificent and that's coming from a straight woman."

black women=beautiful=half black half white

the poster is saying that black women who don't look visibly mixed with white are not beautiful.
No, she said that this particular woman was beautiful, this does not imply that all women who do not look like this are unattractive. And, when you look at the context, she was responding to a person who said dark women with light hair looked fake and tacky. She was giving an example of a woman with black ancestry with naturally blonde hair.

I swear, you troll these forums just trying to get offended. I think the only thing she could have said that wouldn't **** you off is "As far as black women go, one of the most beautiful women I've seen is Nyanna."

Old 08-17-2012, 07:59 AM

141 posts, read 426,412 times
I am from the south and I have seen many beautiful black women. They don't have to be mixed or even light skinned. What's sad is that the women that are considered beautiful in Hollywood or in the magazines are not the "average" woman. I mean yes they are real people and they are beautiful in their own way but that is just the industry standard. I see many people on this forum say that overweight or fat woman can't be beautiful either. Okay, so you many not be attracted to them but that doesn't mean that they aren't beautiful to some people.

People put too much emphasis on physical beauty and not enough on the beauty that comes from within. If you have an ugly heart, no amount of makeup or diet or plastic surgery is going to make you beautiful.

So, yes you can be beautiful. Love yourself and don't care what other people think. I have to remind myself of that everyday because believe me there are some really mean people out there.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:01 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
No, she said that this particular woman was beautiful, this does not imply that all women who do not look like this are unattractive. And, when you look at the context, she was responding to a person who said dark women with light hair looked fake and tacky. She was giving an example of a woman with black ancestry with naturally blonde hair.

I swear, you troll these forums just trying to get offended. I think the only thing she could have said that wouldn't **** you off is "As far as black women go, one of the most beautiful women I've seen is Nyanna."
Nothing is taken within its own context when this is concerned.

I will never be beautiful because of the scar on my bottom lip and the dusting of freckles across my cheeks and nose.

Forget that! They just make me who I am, not determine my beauty or lack thereof!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:11 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

Of all the full black women she has seen since moving to Boston, a mixed race woman was the most beautiful. She is saying that mixed women are more beautiful than black women. That is what she is saying and I am not taking this out of context at all

Old 08-17-2012, 08:20 AM

706 posts, read 1,180,133 times
See I didn't interpret it that way at all...and I too am an African American woman. It was stated that ONE of the most beautiful women he/she saw. But even if a person does believe that only mixed AA women are pretty...why does that bother you? Is not everyone entitled to their own preference? Are you pretty/beautiful to you?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
No they are not entitled to their own preference. If they say that anyone other than a dark skinned african american woman is beautiful, then all AA women are ugly. They are racist pigs.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:32 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,953 times
Lol this crap again? They're are lots of beautiful black women, does Kerry Washington ring a bell.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
See I didn't interpret it that way at all...and I too am an African American woman. It was stated that ONE of the most beautiful women he/she saw. But even if a person does believe that only mixed AA women are pretty...why does that bother you? Is not everyone entitled to their own preference? Are you pretty/beautiful to you?
yes it bothers me a lot when people say only mixed AA women are beautiful. that's all I ever hear or see in the media. lightskin women with mixed features being praised as beautiful black women. its insulting and damaging to my self esteem. i hear this crap everyday.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:34 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Of all the full black women she has seen since moving to Boston, a mixed race woman was the most beautiful. She is saying that mixed women are more beautiful than black women. That is what she is saying and I am not taking this out of context at all
No, the statement was of ALL the women she had seen in Boston, of every race, the most beautiful had been this mixed race woman. The only reason the phrase "as far as black women go" was because she was responding to a post that said black women with blonde hair were tacky. And seeing as most half black/half white people seem to identify more closely with their black half, she thought it was a fitting example of how a black woman can look beautiful and natural with blonde hair.

Have you ever noticed that you and one other particular poster are the ONLY black women who seem to regularly get offended by these sort of threads? And yet y'all are far from the only black women who roam these boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty