Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Not a fan here but couldn't care less if other people have them. I have always been curious though, do folks who like ink concern themselves with what it will look like when they are older or, is that not a consideration? I was in South Florida over Thanksgiving and a lot of older folks ( 70's and up) had large tatoos, most of which appeared old and faded but some were more recent. To me, most ink on older folks is just not at all flattering but then, as I said, I don't find the look particularly good on anybody. But I used to go to a dermatologist who said he makes all of his money removing tatoo, but pointed out that even with the best lasers, there is sometimes discoloration remaining. So, I guess I just wonder if folks don't care what ink looks like 30 years later or, think it still looks good, or, just don't think about it at all?
Do you wonder what your face will look like in 30 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
But i wonder why tattoo parlors are generally in the worst parts of town; staffed by generally funky people, and overall seem to exude a feeling of 'dump'.
The lease for the business is cheaper, same reason you see many businesses in shady parts of towns.

There are tattoo places in nice areas, but the rent will be higher, and that price increase will fall upon the customer. Some tattoo artist can do this because they have made a name for themselves in the industry, and they charge the prestige pricing associated with their name and talent.

Kind of like how many gyms, like boxing and power lifting, are usually in dumpy areas, it is because the rent is cheaper; but every now and then there will be one in a high cost area.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
When I was younger, I used to think tattoos looked really cool and had thought many times about getting one but never did. There was a guy I liked and dated for a time. He was heavily tattoo'd and I liked the look. I thought he looked cool, tough, etc --- that is, until we "consumated" our relationship. When we were in the bedroom and I got a look at him in boxers and nothing else but his tattoos, it was a complete turnoff. It just looked --- dirty (and not in a good way). I didn't even want him to touch me; the look of all the tats just turned me completely and utterly off.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
The vast majority of us aren't going to be looking so hot when we get up there in years. Do people really think some tattoos are going to make that much of a difference? Somehow I doubt if you see two 65 year old ladies on the beach and one has a tattoo and the other one doesn't that it is really going to make a big difference.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
I like tattoos on older folks. It points to an interesting history.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
People should do what they want to their own bodies, but I don't think I'll ever "get" tattoos. I simply don't understand the desire to have them. But then again, I don't understand half the things most people do, so that's not saying much.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I was watching TLC's Say Yes to the Dress and the mother in law to be didn't want the bride to get a certain dress because it didn't cover her tattoo. I don't think she had any right to tell this girl what she could wear at all....
Just saw one the other day where the woman wanted a dress that showed off her tattoos. And was different.

It was a difficult appointment because she didn't have a style in mind (that's always hard, especially if the woman would look good in ANYTHING) and finally the dresser picked a halter style with a jeweled out neckline and back strap that went down the spine.

Totally called attention to the artwork on the back and was beautiful. Made the woman happy.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Do you wonder what your face will look like in 30 years?
Actually my face frightens me now but YES, I do wonder.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:23 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yeah, and without those tattoos all those older folks would have looked like supermodels, right? In addition, the quality of ink has improved substantially over the past 30 or 40+ years and the techniques and machinery used have also improved which means tattoos are brighter and last longer than they used to. I know people with 15 year old tattoos that look nearly brand new. I get asked all the time if the one on my forearm is new and it's nearly 8 years old at this point.

I also find it interesting that all the people who dislike tattoos all seem to know dermatologists that make all their money off of lasering off tattoos... that couldn't just be coincidence, could it?
Don't know about other folks experiences with dermatologists but I actually stopped seeing mine because all he cared about were his laser treatment business and as someone with a history of skin cancer, I felt like he couldn't evenbe bothered to do a thorough exam so yes, I DO think a lot of dermatologists get their bread and butter removing tatoos. His office is plastered with newspaper and magazine articles crediting his expertise in tatoo removal. It makes sense as many people get ink that there would be a market for removal.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:45 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Don't know about other folks experiences with dermatologists but I actually stopped seeing mine because all he cared about were his laser treatment business and as someone with a history of skin cancer, I felt like he couldn't evenbe bothered to do a thorough exam so yes, I DO think a lot of dermatologists get their bread and butter removing tatoos. His office is plastered with newspaper and magazine articles crediting his expertise in tatoo removal. It makes sense as many people get ink that there would be a market for removal.
My dermatologist loves my back piece. He also has no posters or brochures lying around that offer tattoo removal. I assume he probably removes tattoos, but he's never mentioned it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty