Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
I realize that a lot of women won't like what I have to say, but it's the plain truth. Women dress like men these days, and it is sad. With regard to pajamas, men aren't the ones wearing pajamas to the store.
I don't know where you live, but the ONLY people I've seen wearing pajamas to the store are men!

On a more general note, "dressing up" for women these days is a broader category than it used to be; women have more options now. Dressing up can involve nice dress pants and a dressy top for relatively formal occasions. In my observation, office wear, with the possible exception of the tech sector, hasn't changed. Women still wear skirt suits and dresses, as well as nice slacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I find it interesting that dressing up is considered by some to be too "conformist". How could it be "conformist" when the large majority dresses casual?
Because it reminds people of their parents or grandparents. "Conformist" in this context means "fuddy-duddy".

Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
My grandmother and I frequently argue about this.
She keeps sending me links to stores like cold water creek or will send me pictures of outfits that are like something my mom should be wearing.

She thinks jeans are sloppy no matter what but jeans are only sloppy of they look crappy.
There are some really nice jeans out there.
I think Express, Banana Republic and J.R. Crew, Target would have some dress styles you could relate to a little better. They are all online.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:50 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Probably because it reminds people of their parents or grandparents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because it reminds people of their parents or grandparents.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:07 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Exactly.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:07 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Is dressing up a thing of the past? It's not COMPLETELY dead -- but it's dying a bit more every year, which is fine by me. There's just no need to "dress up." I haven't 'dressed up' in years -- DECADES! Of course, now, what do you mean by dressing up?

I haven't had to wear anything FORMAL in over 30 years! And that was for a friend's wedding I was in. Haven't worn matching suit or even a dress (except one) in decades.

I tend to dress as 'down' as I can get away with. For me, the only place I have to regularly look decent is work. And that means very basic pants and a top Wed-Fri, and khakis and a T-shirt on weekends. (I work 3 weekdays and 2 weekend days). On days I'm off it's strictly baggy slacks and baggy T-shirt. I'll wear work caliber clothes to a doctor's appt. I'll wear business casual -- better than what I wear to work -- to meet with a lawyer, CPA or some other professional. The last family reunion I wore a 20.00 knit dress from Walmart, and shoes from Payless. The last wedding I went to 20 years ago I wore a matching two piece blouse and skirt set. But now I'd wear pants -- or that family reunion dress -- which is my 'go to' dress now. It's knit, never wrinkles, and fits the bill.

I've never felt comfortable 'dressing up.' Perhaps it was my choice of clothing, wrong cut or fit or style -- but I've never felt truly relaxed when "dressing up." Oddy enough though, I LOVE looking at fashion. I love the look of Michael Kors or Oscar De la Renta or Carolina Herrera, or Valentino outfits, and most other designers.

I wear the same things over and over: my 'go to' dress, a 'go to' Dr's appt outfit, the 'go to' meeting outfit.

I just see no need to dress up, don't WANT to dress up, have no desire to dress up. For me, I don't get into that "I feel better about myself when I dress up." Clothes are strictly superficial. I care about what's INSIDE a person's heart, not on their body.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Is dressing up a thing of the past? It's not COMPLETELY dead -- but it's dying a bit more every year, which is fine by me. There's just no need to "dress up." I haven't 'dressed up' in years -- DECADES! Of course, now, what do you mean by dressing up?

I haven't had to wear anything FORMAL in over 30 years! And that was for a friend's wedding I was in. Haven't worn matching suit or even a dress (except one) in decades.

I tend to dress as 'down' as I can get away with. For me, the only place I have to regularly look decent is work. And that means very basic pants and a top Wed-Fri, and khakis and a T-shirt on weekends. (I work 3 weekdays and 2 weekend days). On days I'm off it's strictly baggy slacks and baggy T-shirt. I'll wear work caliber clothes to a doctor's appt. I'll wear business casual -- better than what I wear to work -- to meet with a lawyer, CPA or some other professional. The last family reunion I wore a 20.00 knit dress from Walmart, and shoes from Payless. The last wedding I went to 20 years ago I wore a matching two piece blouse and skirt set. But now I'd wear pants -- or that family reunion dress -- which is my 'go to' dress now. It's knit, never wrinkles, and fits the bill.

I've never felt comfortable 'dressing up.' Perhaps it was my choice of clothing, wrong cut or fit or style -- but I've never felt truly relaxed when "dressing up." Oddy enough though, I LOVE looking at fashion. I love the look of Michael Kors or Oscar De la Renta or Carolina Herrera, or Valentino outfits, and most other designers.

I wear the same things over and over: my 'go to' dress, a 'go to' Dr's appt outfit, the 'go to' meeting outfit.

I just see no need to dress up, don't WANT to dress up, have no desire to dress up. For me, I don't get into that "I feel better about myself when I dress up." Clothes are strictly superficial. I care about what's INSIDE a person's heart, not on their body.

To me I always just try to look my best no matter what I am wearing.

Like today I woke up and go ready and went to the disc golf course and played a full 18 holes.
I wore my coolest looking soccer shorts, my newest under armour shoes(bout a yet or so old) and a bishin lime green tshirt.
I'm still wearing it now as I've been doing yard work.

When I change ill probably put on my white denim shorts and a tank top. It's super humid and the less that sticks to me the better.

No matter what I wear I always make sure it looks good and this may sounds superficial but when I look in the mirror I wanna look "cool" or "hot", I want to look good. That's what I aim for.

I view dressing up as something you do for holidays, weddings, funerals, out to dinner when family comes into town, you know special events.

I'm not going to wear a cute dress and wedges to grocery shop at Walmart if anything you should be in athletic clothes, sportin some war paint and maybe a mouth guard to go into that place. I hate Walmart and I want in and out as fast as possible, no saunter cutely down the isles looking for what I need.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:15 PM

Got*
Year*
Not*

My phone thinks its knows better than I do and apparently it doesn't.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:17 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I
I've never felt comfortable 'dressing up.' Perhaps it was my choice of clothing, wrong cut or fit or style -- but I've never felt truly relaxed when "dressing up."
I think of it as when you're dressed up more, you have more awareness of your posture, how you walk, how you sit, how you move. It's not necessarily supposed to be relaxing.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:38 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
It's not necessarily supposed to be relaxing.
Yes that's it. And I think life is too short to dress uncomfortably more than I need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty