Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:06 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times

Advertisements

I want them to look like they did when I was breastfeeding -- without the leaks!!! I still have all the skin, I'm just missing the "fillings" now!!! How much does a boob job cost now? How bad is the pain during recovery? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:29 PM

168 posts, read 1,212,189 times
OK, I do have to say something here. Not to be a total downer, but...just think for a minute about breast implants. Do you really want to put a foreign object full of silicone in your body? Or saline, but the shells are still made of silicone and many many toxins. Many women don't have problems, but some women react terribly to the chemicals in the implants. With all the numbers of them going in, taking them out is going to be a HUGE business I'm convinced! Also, many PSs won't tell you this, but did you know they are only FDA approved for 10 years and they recommend an MRI at year 3 and every year after that to make sure they aren't broken (and the MRIs are not covered by insurance)? So you're guaranteeing yourself ongoing expenses and surgeries...

Get a lift--you may not be as big, but you won't be sticking chemicals into your system and having to undergo future surgeries!!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:08 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
This is fairly minor, but I have spider veins on my thighs and I'd love to have them removed. I'd also like to have laser hair removal done. I would love to not have to shave so much.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:28 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,673 times
Had a lift - really not that bad, pain wise. Bruising was a little hard to look at, as were the stitches, but both of those were short term issues. 2 years our now, the scars are barely visible, at least as far as I am concerned. Of the several things I have had done, this was the most worth it IMHO. Cannot remember cost..but it was not that bad, or I would remember! : ) Go for it.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:11 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
fun thread...

Things I will definitely do if I can ever afford it:
--lower eyelid surgery - I'm getting constant double bags, won't go away - got em when I worked overnights
--Nose job - hate my slightly bulbous tip

Things I may do someday:
Face lift - at 60 (20 years from now) - not freakishly lifted, just enough
Botox - eh I'd try it once in the forehead to check it out.

Things I will never do:
--breast implants (I haven't breastfed, mine are just small - I refuse to get them, everyone who thinks I should get them can XXXXXX off)

--butt implant - this I do not need at all, I'm a figure skater - but sorry, these really creep me out

-- lip injections or fillers of any sort - the problem is not that things need to be injected, things need to be pulled back into position. Fillers just make you look like a different person. I'd rather look like I'm aging until I get the face lift :-P

Old 11-14-2007, 01:16 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
OK, I do have to say something here. Not to be a total downer, but...just think for a minute about breast implants. Do you really want to put a foreign object full of silicone in your body? Or saline, but the shells are still made of silicone and many many toxins. Many women don't have problems, but some women react terribly to the chemicals in the implants. With all the numbers of them going in, taking them out is going to be a HUGE business I'm convinced! Also, many PSs won't tell you this, but did you know they are only FDA approved for 10 years and they recommend an MRI at year 3 and every year after that to make sure they aren't broken (and the MRIs are not covered by insurance)? So you're guaranteeing yourself ongoing expenses and surgeries...

Get a lift--you may not be as big, but you won't be sticking chemicals into your system and having to undergo future surgeries!!
This is only partially true.
The FDA doesn't "approve" them for 10 years......the manufacturer does. (Shelf life if you will!)
They might leak, break....sooner....or later.
I spoke with people having one ruptured after a very short period of time, and I also talked to girls having them in already more then 15 years.
NOTHING lasts forever....
MRI's/ Breast scans in a sense IS covered by my Blue Cross/ Blue Shield, because it is a preventative measure against breast cancer.....with or without implants.
The only thing I have to make sure of when I chose the place performing it, if they are handling women with implants as well. (There is special techniques, training and machines available to do so.)
Quote:
Many women don't have problems, but some women react terribly to the chemicals in the implants
That is absolutely true....However, many women react terribly, or die, from using tampons developing "TSS" (Toxic Shock Syndrome). (For example)
But, you are making a good point...it is to be chosen carefully to make the choice that is suitable for the right individual!
Doing your in depth homework is crucial, so each and every single girl knows what they are getting themselves into...the good, the bad and the ugly sides.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:45 PM

618 posts, read 1,610,646 times
-Lip injection in my upper lip cause my lower one is too huge compared to it
-breast implants but not HUGE ones, maybe just a cup size bigger
-minor nose job
-hair plugs
-lip o suction for my inner thighs
-neck lift

and that's all i can think of right now

Old 11-14-2007, 03:13 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Already had the boob job, now going in for a tummy tuck!!! thats it.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 PM

168 posts, read 1,212,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
This is only partially true.
The FDA doesn't "approve" them for 10 years......the manufacturer does. (Shelf life if you will!)
They might leak, break....sooner....or later.
I spoke with people having one ruptured after a very short period of time, and I also talked to girls having them in already more then 15 years.
NOTHING lasts forever....
MRI's/ Breast scans in a sense IS covered by my Blue Cross/ Blue Shield, because it is a preventative measure against breast cancer.....with or without implants.
The only thing I have to make sure of when I chose the place performing it, if they are handling women with implants as well. (There is special techniques, training and machines available to do so.)

That is absolutely true....However, many women react terribly, or die, from using tampons developing "TSS" (Toxic Shock Syndrome). (For example)
But, you are making a good point...it is to be chosen carefully to make the choice that is suitable for the right individual!
Doing your in depth homework is crucial, so each and every single girl knows what they are getting themselves into...the good, the bad and the ugly sides.

Yes, you're right that the manufacturers are the ones who gave them the 10-year shelf life, but the FDA requires them to state the 10 year "shelf life" (no pun intended!). MRIs are not covered for checking for ruptured implants. They may be covered for other reasons (like yours), but they checking for rupture is excluded on just about every policy there is. In order to effectively check for rupture, they would need to alter the MRI from what is done to screen for breast cancer, so they are not one and the same test. You would have to pay for your own MRI annually after year 3 out of pocket. Also, many insurance policies will not cover MRIs for routine breast cancer screening--only Mammograms.

Anyway...I disagree that most women know what they are getting into. They only hear the good...and Ijust want to throw it out there that there is some scary stuff about getting them done. Unavoidably, you will be putting toxins into your body and that can't be good!

If you get ill from implants, you're pretty much screwed for life, even if you have them removed. Many women don't recover. Plus, very few plastic surgeons believe there is a connection between illness and implants. Not surprisingly, the studies are conducted by the implant manufacturers so how impartial can they be?? Also, the studies done so far have been very short-term. There are NO studies on the long-term health effects of implants.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:32 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
Yes, you're right that the manufacturers are the ones who gave them the 10-year shelf life, but the FDA requires them to state the 10 year "shelf life" (no pun intended!). MRIs are not covered for checking for ruptured implants. They may be covered for other reasons (like yours), but they checking for rupture is excluded on just about every policy there is. In order to effectively check for rupture, they would need to alter the MRI from what is done to screen for breast cancer, so they are not one and the same test. You would have to pay for your own MRI annually after year 3 out of pocket. Also, many insurance policies will not cover MRIs for routine breast cancer screening--only Mammograms.

Anyway...I disagree that most women know what they are getting into. They only hear the good...and Ijust want to throw it out there that there is some scary stuff about getting them done. Unavoidably, you will be putting toxins into your body and that can't be good!

If you get ill from implants, you're pretty much screwed for life, even if you have them removed. Many women don't recover. Plus, very few plastic surgeons believe there is a connection between illness and implants. Not surprisingly, the studies are conducted by the implant manufacturers so how impartial can they be?? Also, the studies done so far have been very short-term. There are NO studies on the long-term health effects of implants.
I do have to agree with you,
especially with
Quote:
I disagree that most women know what they are getting into
You are absolutely right on that one!
I researched maybe a bit over 2 years, and seen the "perfect" boobjob....all the way to the butchered one (not for the faint of heart.....it's absolutely horrendous!)
But, at the end it is what it is.....to each it's own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty