Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:25 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,426,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Are bath robes really necessary? (fashion, look, clothes, thin)

I've often wondered what the real need for bathrobes were...I mean isn't a towel enough to cover your modesty if you need to leave the bathroom? Is it just to look a bit more fashionable? Seems sorta lazy too, I mean I think of bathrobes as for people who are too lazy to put on proper clothes but want to walk around the clothes nude or with undies underneath.
Now that you mention it, I dont think I have ever owned a bath robe in my life. Actually, the only time I ever use a bath robe is when I am traveling and the hotel has those you can use, or when I am at the spa.

I also think you are looking at this from a bit of a narrow male perspective only. We (as dudes) can get away with just wrapping a towel around our waist. Women have to cover up on top as well so a towel isnt really going to do the job well (lower body will be too exposed). So for them, a robe is way better. I also assume that you are not married and have never experienced the fear and horror of being yelled at by your wife for sitting on bed/furniture in a WET TOWEL. Hence, the need for the bath robe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 07:37 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,399,479 times
Necessary, no. Some people like them. My husband will wear one on a lazy weekend morning to keep warm, whereas I will just wrap up in a blanket. I almost never use a robe, except when I'm getting ready for a big night out, drying hair, putting on makeup before I get all dressed up.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:58 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Dont own one and dont want one... putting on a bathrobe leaving the bath means it has to be washed or would smell damp and horrible. so more washing and no thanks..

Old 04-05-2019, 09:08 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I never thought of bathrobes as fashionable... they are functional and have nothing to do with laziness.

Exactly.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:35 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Dont own one and dont want one... putting on a bathrobe leaving the bath means it has to be washed or would smell damp and horrible. so more washing and no thanks..
I just toss mine in the washer with the towels. Never have an issue with smells, and it's no additional work.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:17 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
I can't believe bathrobes are this much of a topic of interest, but OK I'll bite....

I haven't worn a terry or fleece "bathrobe" in years, but I have worn them, and have nothing against them.
I wear -- here's an old term for you -- a "housecoat." And I love it. There are lots of times when I'll shower but I'm not ready to get "dressed" to leave the house. I wear the house coat to have clothes on and be covered, and lounge in.

I prefer the house coat because the style robes I had (like the hotel ones) could come open. And the house coat once snapped stays shut. A zip-up robe would serve the same purpose as the house coat... House coats are cheaper!

Old 04-06-2019, 03:19 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,347,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I can't believe bathrobes are this much of a topic of interest, but OK I'll bite....

I haven't worn a terry or fleece "bathrobe" in years, but I have worn them, and have nothing against them.
I wear -- here's an old term for you -- a "housecoat." And I love it. There are lots of times when I'll shower but I'm not ready to get "dressed" to leave the house. I wear the house coat to have clothes on and be covered, and lounge in.

I prefer the house coat because the style robes I had (like the hotel ones) could come open. And the house coat once snapped stays shut. A zip-up robe would serve the same purpose as the house coat... House coats are cheaper!
I completely agree with you about house coats. Also have a zip up robe that I just step into.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:30 PM

19,430 posts, read 15,259,370 times
I don't like robes. They're usually too bulky and heavy, and I don't like the flappy sleeves. (I realize they make lighter/thinner versions, but still...) I also hate trying to get dressed straight out of the shower, so I just put on a t-shirt dress or any kind of beach/pool cover-up till I dry off more.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:10 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Just have to say - I haven't heard the term "house coat" in MANY yrs.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:18 PM

3,076 posts, read 1,683,929 times
I shower at night but not right before bed. I see no point in putting clothes on for that short a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty