Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,093 times

Advertisements

I'm a first time bride, who feel in love with a strapless dress, but I'm worried that It will make me look ever bigger. SO my question is for other plus size women, do I pick the one I fell in love with or go with a pretty dress thats more fattering but i dont love?
I am a super plus size girl 300+lbs but still an hour glass figure for the most part just a large one. I also have to consider my but as well I have a G cup.
Here is the dress in question (especially love the back of the dress)
http://pic.yupoo.com/amyqueenb/D5Nf1Qac/Z1GtQ.jpg
and here is the second dress that I dont like as much, and since Im wering a bird cage veil I also question the second dress if it goes together
http://pic.yupoo.com/amyqueenb/D5NgyYoC/RKFTF.jpg

Last edited by elnina; 08-17-2013 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: copyright violation, please post a link instead of picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 01:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I like the first dress better. It's more flattering. Don't worry about the dress making you look big...from one plus sized woman to another, you aren't going to look small in the other dress, so have the dress that you love.

You are going to need a strapless bra for either dress. The bust on the first dress looks like it can probably be altered to fit if necessary. When my sister was trying on wedding dresses, they seemed to run several sizes small, so if you're ordering online, make sure they have a fit chart that you can look at, don't just order the size that you usually wear.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 AM

747 posts, read 1,682,759 times
I adore the first dress, it's stunning! I was a plus sized bride (around 200 at the time). I will say if you are bigger you may want to try a corset back. If you tie it tight, it will pull you in a bit and make you appear thinner then what you really are (that's what I did with mine). My dress was strapless as well, and at the time I was DD. I didn't happen to need straps but a bought a strapless bra for the dress, which helped out. You may want to check into buying a strapless bra, or go to where you buy your dress (or a bridal store if you buy online) and discuss your problem. I'm sure they will set you up with something that will not only make you feel comfortable but look your best as well on your special day.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:08 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I agree about the first one. I think the hardest thing will be finding a stapless bra. You didn't mention a band size, but I am an H to HH and I find the pickings slim for my size. I am also at the border in terms of band sizes as well.

I agree with @hedgehog_mom. Enjoy your big day and your marriage.

Not married, but I have been a bridesmaid quite often. Another fit tip, I am short waisted so I found that some dresses had a waist that hit me essentially at the start if my hips. This caused me tons of alteration expenses. So see if you can find out where the waist hits too. The dresses are cut in old school patterns and assume a more pear like shape and a smaller bust. Being busty you may need to go up a few sizes. Or having a Hirt torso could do the same. Use your biggest measurement to choose a size. And don't be shocked if the number is 2-4 more than usual. It's not you, it is just the pattern.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:13 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
the first dress for sure. the second is pretty but has no personality

Old 08-18-2013, 11:40 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judygriffin367 View Post
I'm a first time bride, who feel in love with a strapless dress, but I'm worried that It will make me look ever bigger. SO my question is for other plus size women, do I pick the one I fell in love with or go with a pretty dress thats more flattering but i dont love?
I am a super plus size girl 300+lbs but still an hour glass figure for the most part just a large one. I also have to consider my but as well I have a G cup.
Here is the dress in question (especially love the back of the dress)
http://pic.yupoo.com/amyqueenb/D5Nf1Qac/Z1GtQ.jpg
and here is the second dress that I dont like as much, and since Im wering a bird cage veil I also question the second dress if it goes together
http://pic.yupoo.com/amyqueenb/D5NgyYoC/RKFTF.jpg
No-brainer. Why would you want a dress that isn't flattering?

A word to the wise: A wedding photographer wrote into a newspaper advice column, once. He begged women not to get strapless gowns. He says it's inevitable that at some point during the reception, tossing the bouquet, dancing, whenever, "the girls" will pop out and make a surprise appearance. If you don't want to be flashing the audience and providing a free peep show, go with the other gown.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I disagree with Ruth. As a fellow busty woman, I feel ok in a strapless dress if it fits properly and I have a good strapless (I had a fantasie bra that was such an amazing fit. And as comfy and well fitting as a normal bra.)

But it is all mute if you don't feel comfy in the dress. Definitely try it on. That dress looks like it will highlight your waist well and make you look super curvy. Win win in my book. On the flip side, fit is extra critical around the bust so find an experienced seamstress to help.

I think you can break the "rules" all you want. So many women decide to put life on hold until they are a certain weight, size or look.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:43 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Im not that keen on strapless wedding dressing, to me they look too much like evenining or prom dresses.. and too many brides wear these with big fat backs and arms that I dont like and they would look much better covered up a bit even with lace sleeves etc..

Old 08-19-2013, 12:43 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
They're both beautiful. I'd lean toward the second one because I like plainer dresses.

Go with the one you like best.

Congratulations, no matter which dress you wear!

Old 08-19-2013, 12:58 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
yes all the best on the big day.. I hate my own arms and have a thing about showing them off..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty