Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:31 AM

186 posts, read 362,781 times

Advertisements

I don't know of ANY cases where the answer is no, if the "extra" is more than about 15% of total body weight for that woman's height. On top of the 15% of total body weight (as fat) that is healthy for her to have, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 AM

31,132 posts, read 22,168,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
Oprah is very lovely when she is thin, but man, does that ever CHANGE when she gains 60 lbs.
And Steadman stayed still stayed with her all this time

Old 09-05-2013, 10:43 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,436,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Anyone 60 pounds overweight would be less attractive (AND less healthy!) than they would otherwise be...
...Thanks for encouraging non-skinny women to feel bad about themselves, as if there isnt enough of that contaminating our culture already.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:27 PM

2,238 posts, read 2,413,568 times
Great answers here. The reason why I ask is because I think I look a millions time better when I'm thinner. I've gained some weight in the past few years and it's easy to spot on someone petite with a round face. Although I'm not fat (5'2" and 120 pounds), 10 to 15 pounds make a dramatic difference on me. A couple of years ago, I weighed like 132 and look horrid. Some shorter girls can pull off being at a higher weight, but I definitely can't. I guess I need to worker harder to lose 10 to 15 pounds...haha it becomes increasingly harder to drop weight once you get in your mid 20s, it seems.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:38 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,450,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
This might sound like a weird question, but do you think extra weight can make a once beautiful woman unattractive? Or do you think if a woman is truly beautiful, extra weight doesn't matter. For example, if Miranda Kerr gained 60 pounds, do you still think she would be beautiful?

At 125 lbs, I used to be a "hot redhead". Now at 250, I am "cute, funny, and approachable".

I have always struggled with my weight and I am at my biggest right now. My husband struggles with his weight too but we love each other the way we are.

That said, I will say that the friends I made while overweight have stayed with me through the skinnies and the phatties, while the ones I came to know while I was "hot" turned out to be shallow jerks.

Coincidence? I think not.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,952,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That said, I will say that the friends I made while overweight have stayed with me through the skinnies and the phatties, while the ones I came to know while I was "hot" turned out to be shallow jerks.

Coincidence? I think not.
You might even be right. And? What? 250 is unhealthy any way you slice it. Are your friends telling you that? Your husband isn't because he has weight issues of his own. I can't guarantee that I would stay with a 125lb hottie if she gained 60lbs. Does that make me a shallow jerk? Well... consider this. I have been with a number of 185lb women. See the difference? There's a guy who works at a store that I frequent. He is at least 350 and gaining. No one else in the shop looks like that. I've been telling my SO that I want to say something to him but don't know what or how. I'm not his friend. I don't have an entry point into his 'stuff'. Friends do, and should use the empowerment. Friends don't let friends gain 60lbs without an explanation.

H

Old 09-05-2013, 01:40 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,873,504 times
[quote=jasper12;31282203]
Quote:
Look at Gweneth Paltrow, in "Shallow Hal". While the wieght on her for the show was done with make up, and a body suit, it demonstrated that she was very unattractive with the extra weight. She said that she would go to the bar, in the full make up, and body suit, to see the reactions she recieved from the people there, and felt that weight discrimination is one of the biggest social problems in our society today. She was ignored, by both people in the bar, and even the wait staff. Or people would stare at her, but no one would talk to her, or even offer her a menu, until she requested one.

fat face & fat-suit makeups | Gwyneth Paltrow in ‘Shallow Hal’ | themakeupgallery
I don't think any woman would choose to be overweight, and those who say they look better when they carry extra pounds are fooling themselves.

Even if a woman considers herself to be more attractive when overweight it still is not healthy.

Obviously, a woman who is anorexic isn't attractive or healthy. So I suppose you could say an anorexic woman would be more attractive with "extra" weight.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:45 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,873,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
...Thanks for encouraging non-skinny women to feel bad about themselves, as if there isnt enough of that contaminating our culture already.

No one is encouraging overweight women to feel bad about themselves. People should be encouraging overweight people to make healthy changes in their diet and physical activity.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:47 PM

993 posts, read 1,563,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
u can control whether or not that extra weight is THERE.
Oh absolutely! But it's still very difficult to control how you're shaped. You can be a healthy weight or thin as a woman and shaped like a rectangle. And should you gain weight, that fat (or muscle, if it's from strength training) can change your shape in good or bad ways. It's a bit of a crapshoot.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:49 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,972,039 times
It depends on what one considers beautiful means. If you are being specific to physical appearance only, of course extra weight can cause someone to appear less or unattractive.

Less weight can also make someone less or unattractive.

Now since this thread is probably read more by woman than men, don't forget, ask a man's perspective and you're probably not going to get a straight answer since in most cases, men have been conditioned to answer such questions in the most non-committal way possible. Even when pressed with a "what do you really think?" most men know the question is pure BS anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty