Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 09:09 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times

Advertisements

When i was growing up our pants had to reach our ankles when seated or we were made fun of. If we had shorts that looked like the shorts of today theyd be thought of as the aforementioned pants and we'd be made fun of. The longest shorts we had (called "jams") only reached to about mid to 3/4 thigh.

Our goal in the summer back then, since we were always outdoors, was to stay cool. The less clothing we had on, the cooler we felt. That and we always got a nice tan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 04:34 AM

250 posts, read 400,051 times
I'm not sure what area in Florida you're talking about, but fashion trends here aren't much different than other parts of the country regardless of what yould like to think.

If you're a man showing off your knees and above with your shorts , folks are going to assume either you're looking for another man to love, or you're one of the old timers that still live your glory days. Perhaps you'll just be something comical for others to joke about while your back is turned.

Either way no big deal... The world keeps turning. Perhaps shave or wax your legs while you're at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
It depends on the area here. There are still plenty of closed minded small towns here, but in general the 5 large Cities that actually make up the bulk of the population are open minded. Dont get me wrong we're no California, but its also not the deep south that people think it is. Not in the slightest.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:12 PM

784 posts, read 1,982,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
I'm not sure what area in Florida you're talking about, but fashion trends here aren't much different than other parts of the country regardless of what yould like to think.

If you're a man showing off your knees and above with your shorts , folks are going to assume either you're looking for another man to love, or you're one of the old timers that still live your glory days. Perhaps you'll just be something comical for others to joke about while your back is turned.

Either way no big deal... The world keeps turning. Perhaps shave or wax your legs while you're at it.
People joking about you behind your back is one thing, but some of these people are doing it out in the open. I don't know when it came to be that a man is gay if he wears short shorts since Gay men wear the long shorts that are considered so masculine these days. We all know that Michael Jordan cursed us with these long shorts and they became mainstrean when the Hip Hop and Rap culture monopolized male fashion. In the past few years, Hip Hop lost it's top dog status in male fashion and there has been a retreat from the long and baggy look, although it still remains somewhat popular. Even skinny jeans are now totally acceptable as mens wear. The only thing that has not changed is that mens shorts are still long and baggy. I wonder why that is.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
People joking about you behind your back is one thing, but some of these people are doing it out in the open.
Youre not joking. Ive seen many times someone walk into a public place such as a mall and at least one person (usually male) laugh extremely loud (like that kid on The Simpsons), point, and sing out "who wears short shorts". I saw one guy being followed by a group of teenagers with their cellphones out filming the guy (i guess to post on youtube or something).

I have seen women snicker and laugh as well.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 PM

784 posts, read 1,982,099 times
I have seen women snicker and laugh as well.[/quote]

Almost all negative reactions I have received have been from women.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:17 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I guess what bothers me the most is that someone took my picture without my permission to make fun of what I was wearing and that picture will more than likely be shared on some form of social media. I know it's a longshot, but I will periodically check search engines to see if that picture ends up there. If I do find it, I will trace it to the website. If it was on someone's social media account, I will be able to find out who posted it. I will then sue that woman for whatever I can.

Why didn't you go up to the woman and ask her?

Old 04-30-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Why didn't you go up to the woman and ask her?
Probably because he figured she'd cop an attitude if he did that.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Dont like men in shorts at all.. dont find them attractive.. and hate men in sandals of any sort....

Old 04-30-2014, 04:06 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Any length of shorts is fine to me, as long as a man isn't wearing speedos. Yuck! It is SO gross seeing all the man's lumps and bumps, and a total turn-off.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 AM

We dont wear shorts to turn others on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty