Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
The answer is: brainwashing.
Bingo. People are sheep. They get stupid ideas implanted in their heads, and most are not intelligent enough to determine whether they actually make any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 05:50 PM

262 posts, read 606,956 times
tl;dr

I was always under the opposite impression. Shorts should end above the knee, and shouldn't have any ridiculous pockets.

best I could find doing a quick search..

..maybe even slightly shorter.

imho

Last edited by fr8train; 12-23-2013 at 05:59 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 08:55 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
I saw a guy about 18 or 19 wearing very short running shorts at the park the other day. I guess it was more noticeable due to the fact that he was hanging out talking to his friends near the parking area.

I remember the actress Patty Duke talking about a movie she did in the 60's. She played a high school runner who was posing as a boy because girls couldn't get onto the team or something. Anyway, all the runners wore the same short shorts, and it was a big deal to her at the time because her shorts in the film were "as short as the boys' shorts." That's how much times have changed.

What about the movie "Juno"? Weren't the guys on the track team wearing short shorts? Was that supposed to be a joke or what? It didn't seem like they would be that common now, or are they.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:45 PM

121 posts, read 164,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
The overwhelming majority of shorts that I wear for everyday casual wear in the summer are tennis shorts like this.

I also wear tennis shorts for playing tennis and they also cross over extremely well for distance running which I also am obsessed with.
When I'm out with my wife and or friends I combine tennis shorts with form fitting polo shirts or a athletic cut t-shirt.

Trust me when I say I am extremely cool and comfortable in the "" correct places "" wearing these shorts.
Those are very nice Julian! I think that's a great length. I don't think they would look good any/much shorter. They could be maybe up to an inch longer and still look good on a guy.

I hate the mid thigh or shorter look on men. Something about it is unattractive and kind of off-putting to me. Women only look good with mid thigh length shorts if they have fantastic legs. It's even more rare for women to look good in short shorts. I think almost anything else is more flattering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As for women not liking shorter shorts, I found the opposite. I would find a woman looking at me and then she would come up and ask where I bought those shorts. When I would show her the ones we sold like them in the clothing section she would drag her husband over so she could pick out some for him.

One day a lady kept looking at me and she finally said "I'm sorry for staring at you, but I like those shorts and wanted to get some for my husband." I said "Damn, I thought you were hitting on me !"
Perhaps this was the case with the woman taking a photo of the OP, whom the OP wants to sue. Maybe she liked the look and wanted to show it to her significant other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
I'm thinking of Richard Simmons type shorts.
That's what I think of when I think of men in short shorts. No, just no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
In 1998, I was working at a gas station. An elderly man in very short, lemon-yellow shorts (and matching golf shirt) came in to ask for directions. He was tall and our counters were fairly low. I started drawing him a map and then noticed that his nuts (sorry, but the forum will censor the medical term for them) were hanging out the side of his shorts. I wasn't comfortable saying anything to him about it, but my coworker, who never had a shy day in her life, burst out with, "Pardon me, sir, but I think you may have dropped a nut!"

My FIL used to have trouble with same thing. He would be holding my infant, I'd look down, and the boys were hanging out (now he managed this with basketball shorts which is odd and troubling).

And that is why I wholeheartedly believe that mens shorts should be knee-length or not more than a few inches above.

If you need to be a trendsetter and go shorter than that, please wear the appropriate undergarments.
Haha! I can't believe your coworker said that. I used to work in a health club back in the 80s, and a couple of the lawyers that worked out there wore shorts that were way too short. One in particular was always hanging out of them. It was nasty! I don't think any of the employees or members ever said anything to him... although I think the manager finally had to tell him it was unacceptable.

Maybe that is part of why so many people find it distasteful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't know how many here watch Mad Men, but when Bob Benson showed up in his little fish shorts, my Facebook wall blew up with a bunch of women saying "mmm...look at those legs." So yeah: Mad Men Fashion: Salute Bob Benson's Shorts! | MOD | Portland Mercury
Those look too short to me. It makes me think that he forgot to put his pants on over his boxer shorts. Just because some women on the internet are gushing over his nice looking legs doesn't mean that is a good look to wear out in public. And truthfully, I don't think his legs look all that great in those. I think they would look better in the slightly longer athletic style shorts Julian posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I live in a very integrated city and wear just-above-the-knee shorts constantly during the spring/summer/autumn, except for church services or fancy dinners out on the town. I have never heard any derogatory comments about my choice of dress. I'm not a youngster either at 62. Maybe the view of my chiseled legs due to over a hundred miles of cycling every week mitigate any snide remarks I may get. I don't care what anybody thinks and would rather be comfortable.
Just above the knee shorts are great. I bet you look fantastic in them. Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
That's hilarious. Unintentional flashing happened quite a bit in the late 70's and early 80's. Those 1" or 2" inseam cotton gym shorts that lots of people wore revealed way too much...........on men and women. As my Mom said indignantly, "It's not public hair."
Haha! So true. Some of us were scarred for life by unintentional flashings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8train View Post
tl;dr

I was always under the opposite impression. Shorts should end above the knee, and shouldn't have any ridiculous pockets.

best I could find doing a quick search..

..maybe even slightly shorter.
I'm not sure if the photos are posting in the quotes, but those are all really great men's shorts options.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:58 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 419 View Post
Just because some women on the internet are gushing over his nice looking legs doesn't mean that is a good look to wear out in public. And truthfully, I don't think his legs look all that great in those. I think they would look better in the slightly longer athletic style shorts Julian posted.
Isn't that only your opinion, though? There were obviously some women who liked the look. You can't just say that it is not a "good look to wear out in public" simply because you don't like it yourself. It's just your opinion, isn't it?

I don't like a lot of "popular" styles that many people wear. Being popular doesn't mean it's more tasteful or fashionable or whatever.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:41 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Isn't that only your opinion, though? There were obviously some women who liked the look. You can't just say that it is not a "good look to wear out in public" simply because you don't like it yourself. It's just your opinion, isn't it?

I don't like a lot of "popular" styles that many people wear. Being popular doesn't mean it's more tasteful or fashionable or whatever.
I'm glad they were period specific. Are there seriously any straight women who would object to Burt Lancaster's swimming trunks in 'To Here and Eternity?'

Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 PM

121 posts, read 164,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Isn't that only your opinion, though?
Well, duh! Of course it's my opinion.

But my point is that women tend to have crushes on actors that they watch on television shows, and when that actor is in various states of undress or minimally dressed, these women will of course start to virtually drool over it online.

But I think it's a mistake to apply that to the real world. Most men out and about in that exact outfit in various public places are most likely not going to elicit that same response, and probably not any kind of a positive response.

And since I am not a fan of the actor, I am probably a bit more objective than those women and can fairly say I don't think it looks all that great. And yes, that is my opinion.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:13 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
That's not the case in my experience. You see way more men wearing above-the-knee shorts than long, baggy shorts.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:20 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I love when a hot guy wears above the knee shorts. Especially, if he's got some sexy, strong looking legs. omg, marry me. Strong, hairy, manly legs, I die for...

Old 01-16-2014, 11:03 PM

796 posts, read 505,354 times
I think the polo style shorts above the knee are fine for men who are fit and going for preppy look.

Men who are not fit, overweight, or got weird shaped legs should wear shorts to the knee or slightly below. The urban baggy ones are getting out of style which is good but the really short shorts above the middle thigh look very fem and gay. I think something in the middle is best for men and the fit men can wear the shorter ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty