Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:48 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,763,236 times

Advertisements

At my job not only are skirts impractical they also are a constant visual reminder of gender. I work in a STEM field, I get enough reminders already.

As for personal life, I rarely wear dresses except when going out, ie the lbd. Even sundresses in the summer I usually wear over my bathing suit and shorts. I'm an active chick, I don't want to be worried about flashing anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 04:34 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,621,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I think women dressing and being feminine has gone out of style in the past decade. Laziness is considered more stylish and like you said, a posture is too much work nowadays.
Why would someone think they looked more attractive by looking like a monkey!? are they trying to return to the ancestors?

Parents used to be responsible for teaching that...what happened?

Old 01-16-2014, 04:44 AM

513 posts, read 738,573 times
Default I used to wear dresses all the time--

until I started putting on weight. I think they are cooler in the summer than pants and I dislike capri pants. Like someone else posted, I have always had muscular calves and ankles and with the weight, I felt too self-conscious in a dress. I've slimmed down some, but now the problem is I had foot surgery and it's hard to find shoes that are flattering with a dress (right now I'm wearing orthopedic-type shoes). I guess I'm vain even at my age in my 60s, but would love to find some low-heeled shoes I can wear with a dress and look somewhat feminine for dress-up occasions. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:18 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,832,237 times
Skirts might be undergoing a renaissance since the past 8 years or so, but i notice they're a different style, very high-waisted. Still a minority thing, not like dominating like the early 00s.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:22 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,695,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
At my job not only are skirts impractical they also are a constant visual reminder of gender. I work in a STEM field, I get enough reminders already.

As for personal life, I rarely wear dresses except when going out, ie the lbd. Even sundresses in the summer I usually wear over my bathing suit and shorts. I'm an active chick, I don't want to be worried about flashing anything.
What's wrong with skirts as a visual reminder of your gender? Why should you have to be bothered by being "reminded" of your gender? Are women afraid to be women now?

Old 01-19-2014, 06:49 PM

37,667 posts, read 46,107,056 times
In the summer, skirts are what I wear the most. Love them in warm weather - very versatile, and cool!

Old 01-19-2014, 06:53 PM

37,667 posts, read 46,107,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What an odd statement. I prefer looking like a female. I sure as hell wouldn't want to give anyone the impression that I was something else. I wear skirts and dresses exclusively at work, in the summer. Very practical, since our office is often rather warm in the summer.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:04 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,558,060 times
do women nowdays wear mini dresses while going out at parties during the nights? i love to see more of this. again, i have to bring up some of the stuff that these gals wear....i love the one wearing white with the 3 black stripes across her waist....heads would turn wearing that.....also, the one wearing black with the little holes on top that looks like it was made of leather or something? looks great.

나인뮤지스_Dolls (Dolls by 9Muses@Mcountdown 2013.2.28) - YouTube

Old 01-21-2014, 10:22 AM

453 posts, read 632,876 times
I wear skirts a lot during the summer! Long broomstick skirts mostly, that reach to mid calf or to my ankles. I find them more comfortable and flattering than shorts (plus they protect my legs from sunburn as I'm naturally quite fair-skinned) and I love the feminine feel of them.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:29 AM

741 posts, read 1,290,191 times
Can I just say I love me a skort.

Freedom to run around after kiddos, the nice look of a jean or kahki skirt with out my butt falling out and attacking people when I lean over.

My legs have never been slender, always a bit "thick" but that's just how they are and I'm not overweight, I just have stocky legs. So I may not be stopping traffic in my skort but I'm cool and comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty