Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:17 PM

449 posts, read 641,165 times

Advertisements

I still wear skirts but not mini for especially for someone over 40. I have many skirts vintage type that looks "couture"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 09:04 PM

345 posts, read 995,023 times
I love skirts, but the selections in stores are extremely limited. Skirts can be mixed and matched with a variety of tops, which can also worn with slacks. Skirts extend wardrobe possibilities.

STEM occupations are primarily male, and females are often overlooked, if not discriminated against, due to their sex. I know that sounds like the 1980s, but those fields are slow to recognize and promote women. I think that's why the previous poster prefers slacks and fitting in with her male colleagues.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:17 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
Skirts are so versatile - much more versatile than dresses. I have some beautiful J.Crew, Talbots, Banana Republic and Pendleton wool skirts that I wear in the winter. I can wear them with blouses, turtlenecks, pullover sweaters with cute blouses underneath, change out the blazers/jackets, wear them with boots, booties or heels.

If you are someone who needs to dress up - church or office, etc., then skirts can be your best friend as far as wardrobe versatility.

In the summer, a short cute colorful denim or lightweight cotton skirt, t-shirt, tank or summery blouse and sandals is a great casual look and very comfortable.

I don't want to always have the "everyman" look....fashion is important to me as is comfort...this isn't an either/or choice here. Skirts can be very comfortable and fashionable.

Skirts will always have a place in my wardrobe. I do think that heavier women may not look as nice in skirts as they do in other types of outfits. Skirts/tucked in blouses or a tank generally look better on fairly thin/normal weight women.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:22 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Skirts are in style... just different types of skirts. Jean skirts which were in style in the late 90s are extremely out of style now. But other types are in style... perhaps not as much as shorts, however.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Skirts are in style... just different types of skirts. Jean skirts which were in style in the late 90s are extremely out of style now. But other types are in style... perhaps not as much as shorts, however.
Denim skirts are still in style - not sure where you are shopping. Shorts are not appropriate in all settings which some don't seem to understand.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:05 PM

147 posts, read 178,319 times
There are some awesome spring dresses on the rack right now. Let's all go shopping before all that's left are shorts...

Old 02-16-2014, 04:05 PM

5 posts, read 6,458 times
I mainly wear them going out at night when the weather is warm. Right now it's jeans or tights weather for nighttime. But when it warms up, I do wear skirts & dresses during the day. I love abercrombie, express & guess

Old 02-16-2014, 04:13 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Denim skirts are still in style - not sure where you are shopping. Shorts are not appropriate in all settings which some don't seem to understand.
Denim skirts haven't been in style for 15 years. Every few seasons, there's a brief burst of shorter jean skirts, but I haven't seen them regularly since the 90s. Certainly 90s lengths have not reemerged (thank goodness!).

I think skirts in general are more in style than ever. I went to high school from 2002-2006 and the only dresses I owned were for fancy events and I think I had one skirt. Seemed like that was common - jeans or bust. The hipster look has brought dresses back into style for 20 somethings and today they're pretty much all I own!

Old 02-16-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Denim skirts haven't been in style for 15 years. Every few seasons, there's a brief burst of shorter jean skirts, but I haven't seen them regularly since the 90s. Certainly 90s lengths have not reemerged (thank goodness!).

I think skirts in general are more in style than ever. I went to high school from 2002-2006 and the only dresses I owned were for fancy events and I think I had one skirt. Seemed like that was common - jeans or bust. The hipster look has brought dresses back into style for 20 somethings and today they're pretty much all I own!
J.Crew, Anthropologie (pencil skirt and a casual aged denim skirt), The Gap and Talbots have denim skirts right now that are for sale and Banana Republic and Ann Taylor will have them also along with Nordstrom and many other stores. Don't get out much do you?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times
I kinda feel I shouldn't have started this thread, because I'm actually noticing skirts making a bit of a comeback over the last year or so, having noticed it a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty