Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 08:23 PM

480 posts, read 1,919,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Do you really think Lena Dunham weighs 200 pounds? She's probably 5'2".
She's probably more like 170 if I had to guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 PM

480 posts, read 1,919,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so fat person logic is that if everyone has different talent levels, if I am fat then I should just say thin people are more talented at staying thin?
Wow, you're obtuse.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,227,283 times
My biggest problem is being a stressaholic. Its been an issue ever since I was in 2nd grade. If you hate me for that, then so be it. That's one thing that has not and will not change for the rest of my life GUARENTEED. I have tried tackling it multiple times and failed at doing so. So now, I just live with stress as a part of my life.

Stressed about driving in a foot of snow tomorrow, because school is still open. Stressed about making a life changing decision between Grad School Vs. Working in the next 2 weeks. Stressed out about getting the supplier to haul in parts for my senior design project. Stressed out over low grades on my first quiz, and so on the list goes to infinity.

But for all you know, stress is force per unit area, and a driving factor in getting things done .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 02-12-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 08:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Of course.

however, for 30 years we were told to eat low fat.
Turns out low fat = laden with chemicals and filled with copious amounts of sugar

John Yudkin: the man who tried to warn us about sugar | theage.com.au

While I am not overweight, I do know many people who have struggled and thought they were doing the right thing by eating "low fat" food.

So, no I won't judge people for their physical appearance, I am much more interested in understanding and looking at issues without preconceived ideas on how they got into this state.
It is not new info.

My mother has been saying it for years. No processed food, no processed food, no processed food...harping in my ear since the 70s. Low fat = high sugar. those articles have been out for decades.
Everyone has heard of it, but they disregarded it as hippy woo woo until now.

Your friends knew the real right thing to do. They wanted to find a shortcut.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 PM

13,669 posts, read 9,744,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post

But for all you know, stress is force per unit area, and a driving factor in getting things done .
Stress is a tensor. Because it is symmetric, its eigenvalues are guaranteed to be real. This offers hope both in overcoming stress itself, and its deleterious effects on body-composition and obesity.

Returning to our main theme, I am not persuaded that occasional snacking on junk-food or reliance on TV-dinners will make an otherwise thin person morbidly obese. Obesity, like nervousness or phobias or any other mental or physical malady, comes in degrees. As I wrote earlier, we as a society suffer from two extremes. On the one extreme, we are critical of people who are even slightly overweight, as if only perfection would do. On the other extreme, we accommodate as "normal" even extreme obesity, as if the cause were beyond a person's control, such as some dark conspiracy of the agribusiness complex.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:18 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,130,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It is not new info.

My mother has been saying it for years. No processed food, no processed food, no processed food...harping in my ear since the 70s. Low fat = high sugar. those articles have been out for decades.
Everyone has heard of it, but they disregarded it as hippy woo woo until now.

Your friends knew the real right thing to do. They wanted to find a shortcut.
Right. There is your mum, then there is

Walter Willet: Chair Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health

"If you're overweight and living in the United States, and you go to a hospital and see a dietician, almost for sure, you're going to be put on a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet"

...The problem is that that's really the wrong diet for an overweight person. Because the person is overweight, in general they're going to have quite a bit more insulin resistance and much less well able to tolerate low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet.

and

Gary Taubes, Journalist, author "What If It's All Been A Big Fat Lie?" (New York Times Magazine, July 7, 2002)
"Yeah. Basically, up until about 1980, the obesity rates in this country are 12 to 14 percent. And then somewhere in that period between the late '70s and late '80s, they shoot up to 22-25 percent. That's known as the obesity epidemic, and the idea is: What explains it?

From my fat research, I already knew that there were two major changes in the country during that period. One was, high-fructose corn syrup came in as sort of the primary caloric sweetener in America, which was my personal bias. I thought that it was high-fructose corn syrup because I'm allergic to high fructose corn syrup. …"

"The other theory was that we started pushing the low-fat diets during this period"

Dean ornish - Director, Preventive Medicine Research Institute; author Eat More, Weigh Less
"In the early '70s and '80s, a number of manufacturers said: Oh, we'll make low-fat foods, but they're very high in sugar: "

and

Jeanne Goldberg: Professor,Tufts University Friedman School of Nutrition
Well, that story, American consumers understood that cholesterol was bad. And the food manufacturers put "cholesterol-free" on every vegetable product they turned out. And if one did it, the other had to do it, because that's competition.

But then we looked and said, "Oh my gosh. In taking out saturated fat, manufacturers are using trans fats, which behave in the body like saturated fat." So the message that got out in the media was, "Butter is better than margarine." And there are headlines from a few years ago that say that. Many, many headlines. And that was one where the consumers just threw up their hands and said, "Oh my God, again they've pulled a dirty deal." It turns out that they both behave pretty much the same. And "less fat, more vegetable oil"

The Fattening - Did The Low-Fat Era Make Us Fat? | Diet Wars | FRONTLINE | PBS

Old 02-13-2014, 06:44 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
So it's "easily" accomplished? What's your secret?
limiting my calorie intake. like ive said, its a choice. immediate gratification of food or long term health and better body. people don't see the immediate negative consequence of eating all that food so they stuff their faces. the more people around them they see doing the same thing, the easier it becomes for them to do it. the more people accept that its difficult, the more people will let themselves go.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:46 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You seem tho think that the variation there is huge. Reality is, you can have 2 people, of the same gender, same weight, who eat the same stuff, and exercise the same way who have wildly different outcomes.
no you cant. this is just what fat people want to believe because they want to believe that their fatness is something that is out of their control. you eat your weight. while there is variation from person to person, its not that much.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,652,955 times
Quote:
no you cant. this is just what fat people want to believe because they want to believe that their fatness is something that is out of their control. you eat your weight. while there is variation from person to person, its not that much.
Weird, because I've spoken to numerous doctors and nutritionists who don't agree with you...now who should I believe....

Old 02-13-2014, 07:01 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Quote:
limiting my calorie intake. like ive said, its a choice. immediate gratification of food or long term health and better body. people don't see the immediate negative consequence of eating all that food so they stuff their faces. the more people around them they see doing the same thing, the easier it becomes for them to do it. the more people accept that its difficult, the more people will let themselves go.
Oh, okay. Easily done. Except I know a lot of overweight people who religiously watch their calorie intake. Guess what? They still struggle to lose weight because every body reacts a little differently to diet and exercise. This is consistent with the notion that we all have different levels of physical talents and abilities, which you yourself acknowledged was true.

If you can acknowledge we all have different physical talents and abilities but still insist it's "easily done" for overweight people to lose weight, you are revealing your bias against overweight people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty